Confirmed Buy-Out [NSH] Kyle Turris and Steven Santini

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
The alternative would be to spend $6M in cap for 4 years hoping he could one day crack 35 points or play PK.

Or retain $2m for next 4 seasons and get something back that is serviceable. Instead literally throwing out $2m for next...8 seasons. Yikes !

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Or retain $2m for next 4 seasons and get something back that is serviceable. Instead literally throwing out $2m for next...8 seasons. Yikes !

Problem is you need a willing trade partner.
Doubt teams will be lining up to give him a $4M x 4 right now too.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Problem is you need a willing trade partner.
Doubt teams will be lining up to give him a $4M x 4 right now too.

Yeah, but I still think Poile could've found *something* if he retained to $3m x 4. That's only $1m the next four years...and nothing year 5-8. Also, he could've gotten *something* in return.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Yeah, but I still think Poile could've found *something* if he retained to $3m x 4. That's only $1m the next four years...and nothing year 5-8. Also, he could've gotten *something* in return.

I think you're wrong.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I suspect timing is a factor too. He couldn't wait to make a trade after the buyout window closed, for example, if he had nothing firm. But if any team out there was interested in Turris, why not do precisely that - wait until after the buyout window closed, because you might just be able to sign him for just a 1- or 2-year term potentially at even less. Poile probably got a tepid enough response in trade attempts that he felt ok blinking in that game of chicken and just following through on the buyout.

It's not shocking that there was no trade out there for Turris. But I think where Poile went wrong is that, given that, he should have just kept Turris and revisited things next season.

*UNLESS* he actually has a plan to use that extra $4M in cap space. Or unless the team finances are in some trouble. We'll see if either of those scenarios gets supporting evidence on Friday.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
With Bonino being traded and the Turris buyout all of a sudden Nashville has some cash to spend on Friday.

They probably also want to give room to some young center prospects like Trenin, Tomasino & Pitlick. It's the right way to go. With Askarov, they have an opportunity to retool over the next three years and come out a better team with him as a starter.

Turris & Bonino are not a part of that near future.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I don't understand how they couldn't retail 50% and trade him. 3m for 3 years is much better than 2m for 6 years.
Gotta assume that no team was interested even at 3M x 4yrs, right? Surely they would have done that if they could, unless someone has a reason they couldn't..

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Really, isn’t he better suited for top6?
No. Why do you think we acquired Derek Roy years ago. You need 3 scoring lines and 1 line to kill penalties and create energy 5v5. Top 6 bottom 6 is like pre-2014 talk.

Sutter/Gaudette are not quality 3rd line centres and Beagle is an average 4th liner. I’d like Turris to play between Virtanen and Leivo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad