Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Erik Haula signs with the Predators (1 year, $1.75M)

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Living off that one good year in Vegas.

Not sure I've ever seen a more perfect picture if a rise, peak, and fall of a team than Nashville.

13-14, no playoffs
14-15, 1st rd out
15-16, 2nd rd out
16-17, Final
17-18, 2nd rd out
18-19, 1st rd out
19-20, they sort of made the playoffs, but lost to Arizona of all teams, so really, how much can those 4 games count? It's beautifully symmetrical.

This is just the Preds grasping at straws. A lot of big contracts. A lot of guys around, at, or above 30. They're running out of time, if they haven't already. Some cheap depth, and hope you catch a wave of momentum at the right time.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Fair "prove it deal" for a guy with injury history and coming off a bad season.

Let's be fair - the Preds needed depth up front...there's a chance Granlund and Haula continue to be not so great but these are one year deals to fill out the lines so it's fine.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Haula started out pretty well for the Canes last year. Then he was dealing with an injury, didn't play the same, and seemingly got upset at his usage at that point. Decent move for that contract.

Wasn't just "he was dealing with an injury" though. His knee is screwed and will likely limit him quite a bit for the rest of his career. It's a bummer as I really liked the guy and was hoping he could stick around here long term, but definitely not with the knee still being a problem early last year. This contract reflects that. Still definitely a good move for the Preds, but fans should know what they're getting with him.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Living off that one good year in Vegas.

Not sure I've ever seen a more perfect picture if a rise, peak, and fall of a team than Nashville.

13-14, no playoffs
14-15, 1st rd out
15-16, 2nd rd out
16-17, Final
17-18, 2nd rd out
18-19, 1st rd out
19-20, they sort of made the playoffs, but lost to Arizona of all teams, so really, how much can those 4 games count? It's beautifully symmetrical.

This is just the Preds grasping at straws. A lot of big contracts. A lot of guys around, at, or above 30. They're running out of time, if they haven't already. Some cheap depth, and hope you catch a wave of momentum at the right time.
At one year and 1.7mm, dude didn’t break the bank here did he.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Seems like some other teams could've been in on him at this price.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Wasn't just "he was dealing with an injury" though. His knee is screwed and will likely limit him quite a bit for the rest of his career. It's a bummer as I really liked the guy and was hoping he could stick around here long term, but definitely not with the knee still being a problem early last year. This contract reflects that. Still definitely a good move for the Preds, but fans should know what they're getting with him.

Yup. Will be 30 in a few months and chronic knee issue. Sure, he's not "old" and I think he can be a quite useful checking line player still but his peak offensive days are well in the rearview mirror and his best season in Vegas was always a mirage from an offensive output standpoint.

I don't see Preds fans rushing in here to crow about this or the Granlund signing so fair play to them for being reasonable - I think they generally see these signings for what they are...relatively cheap and low-risk shots at filling out the forward lines with guys who have proven NHL talent. How relevant either guy is moving forward remains to be seen but there are definitely worse players to spend some extra change on.

Reactions: KaraLupin

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Seems like some other teams could've been in on him at this price.

We think that about a lot of guys but IMO the majority of GM's are looking at a fellow like Haula and seeing...knee issues...inconsistent offensive impact...not getting younger...financial worries = replacement level checking line player who I possibly can get the same play out of from a younger, rookie deal type guy.

The exceptions are guys like Rutta who was brought back because of a very specific fit that has already been on display for that team even though he's again probably a very replacement level player otherwise.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I doubt it will work out, but at least - unlike the Granlund resigning - it's something new. Worth a try.

But yeah, there are now just Taxi Squad assignments for any of our youngsters. Having depth isn't necessarily a bad thing, though, in what is likely to be a compressed schedule and war of attrition.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Yup. Will be 30 in a few months and chronic knee issue. Sure, he's not "old" and I think he can be a quite useful checking line player still but his peak offensive days are well in the rearview mirror and his best season in Vegas was always a mirage from an offensive output standpoint.

I don't see Preds fans rushing in here to crow about this or the Granlund signing so fair play to them for being reasonable - I think they generally see these signings for what they are...relatively cheap and low-risk shots at filling out the forward lines with guys who have proven NHL talent. How relevant either guy is moving forward remains to be seen but there are definitely worse players to spend some extra change on.

Haula might not have speed anymore, but his wrister is deadly. If he gets any decent TOI, he will get the scoring done.

I would be more concerned about Granlund, since if he doesn't have the speed, there isn't much left in his game. Last season he had more TOI and still scored less than Haula.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Haula might not have speed anymore, but his wrister is deadly. If he gets any decent TOI, he will get the scoring done.

I would be more concerned about Granlund, since if he doesn't have the speed, there isn't much left in his game. Last season he had more TOI and still scored less than Haula.

He's always flashed his obvious skill but IMO if you are counting on him at this stage in his career to be more than a depth offensive provider who can pop up with a beautiful goal now and again, you're asking for too much. I mean sure, he's not so old and broken down that you don't hope for some upside if he finds himself in a favorable position but there's a reason he got the contract he did.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
He's always flashed his obvious skill but IMO if you are counting on him at this stage in his career to be more than a depth offensive provider who can pop up with a beautiful goal now and again, you're asking for too much. I mean sure, he's not so old and broken down that you don't hope for some upside if he finds himself in a favorable position but there's a reason he got the contract he did.

Covid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad