OT: NSH’s Cousins and Hyman - April 14th

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I edited a lot.*

The gesture occurred last night at 16:43 of the 3rd period.

Cousins quickly points to his own nose after a battle with Hyman in a game where the Preds are already down 3-0. Around 18 seconds into the clip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
That was my first thought as well. It did not look good. I can't find anything about it online though?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I saw that as well and wondered the same thing. I didn't see Hyman getting clipped in the nose or anything so that Cousins would be like "you got nicked on your nose, or check your nose". I hope this wasn't a case of racism and likely only Cousins, Hyman and the official knows one way or another.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Having a little Jewish ancestry myself, seeing this type of thing is quite disappointing if that really was his intention. Probably wasn't though since Hyman seemed to just laugh it off and skate away. I've never been called a nasty name directly by anyone as my features aren't overly Jewish in appearance but I've definitely seen a lot of anti semitic comments from people on the internet. It's 2022, yet certain people still think this way. Sad.

Reactions: ZJuice

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I'm definitely no expert on racist gestures so I'll have to take your word that this is one.
Hyman would probably need to confirm it's intent for anything to be done by the league.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Hyman would really be the only one who knows what the intent was.

sorry bad joke. apologies to those offended. There’s no place for racist acts, gestures or words in the day and age we live in. Hopefully it wasn’t racially motivated.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Would not be surprised if it was a racist gesture, this world is getting more and more racist and divisive. But there could be an innocent explanation, it looks like Hyman bumps Cousins face/nose area at the 31 second mark of the Twitter video posted in OP. So either he's signalling that Hyman got him in the nose, or he's being a piece of shit and should be called out on it.

Also, I don't think we should be using Hyman's reaction as a gauge. People who've seen and felt racism (as Hyman has stated he has) can let it slide off their backs quite easily.

Reactions: ZJuice and nabob

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
There’s two possibilities:

1. He did it knowing it was anti-Semitic. This is the worst case and reflects very poorly on Cousins.

2. He did it as a “regular” chirp without realizing the deeper anti-Semitic implications either due to ignorance, lack of knowledge or a momentary lapse in the heat of the moment not realizing Hyman is Jewish. This is the “better” case but still reflects poorly on Cousins.

Reactions: ZJuice

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
@Cloned you’re brave for going to the main boards. Lots of people showing their ignorance in there…
I’m surprised how many people are simply dismissing it. Not saying Cousins is guilty of being racist for sure, but at the very least I think it’s fair to pose the question.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I hope it's nothing. My guess is that if it were more than just a dumb joke making fun of a big nose, if it were an anti-Semitic gesture, that there would be coverage of it.

Reactions: Haggard

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I’m surprised how many people are simply dismissing it. Not saying Cousins is guilty of being racist for sure, but at the very least I think it’s fair to pose the question.
For sure. Cousins could just be ignorant.

I was hesitant even posting it on HFOil for a reason lol.

Reactions: Cloned

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah, when I saw it, I was like "Woah, was that a racist gesture?"

I think the NHL should have an investigation, even if it was nothing, just to show that they are on top of this kind of stuff. Even if it was nothing, they need to conclude that it was nothing. There is no place in sports for racism, no matter how subtle or accidental the gesture, and the leagues need to take this very seriously. Draw the line, and draw it BIG and BOLD. ZERO TOLERANCE.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Doesn't seem like much happened based on Hyman's reaction
Zach seems like the kind of guy that even if it was something like this, his reaction would be “nothing to see here, move on”. Either way if it was directed to his heritage it’s despicable.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta

I think the NHL should have an investigation, even if it was nothing, just to show that they are on top of this kind of stuff. Even if it was nothing, they need to conclude that it was nothing. There is no place in sports for racism, no matter how subtle or accidental the gesture, and the leagues need to take this very seriously. Draw the line, and draw it BIG and BOLD. ZERO TOLERANCE.
This is ultimately in Hyman's hands. If Hyman was in fact insulted and he brushed it off then good for him. If he figures he needs to take action because of what Cousins did/said to him then he can tell the leauge about the incident and there will be consequences. It's his choice.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton

The bolded is how I feel. It should be addressed.

Reactions: brentashton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad