Now the most important question... who are your next Jets captains??

Who do you see as the three Captains (C/A/A) three or four years from now? (Select three)

• Total voters

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Wheeler and Buff won't be around forever, so who do you see as the next Captain group for the Jets 3-4 years down the line?

There are some obvious choices, but some not so obvious. We have a number of great leaders on the team.

Vote for three and make your case in the thread.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
So... I went with Scheif as C, as probably most of us will for many reasons. He's just captain material. I think Morrissey has an incredible head on his shoulders and really wants to be here, so I think he's an A in four years.

Believe it or not I have Laine as A in four years. I think he also has a very good head on his shoulders and he's going to mature a lot in four years. Add to this that he will be one of the premier players in the league. I think he parallels a lot with Scheif in his drive and desire and love of Winnipeg. The deciding factor will be how much of a leader he becomes.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
I chose Laine too for an A.

It's not an easy choice at all, but for those who DIDN'T choose him... is it really possible to keep your superstar and (almost certainly) top scorer and best player out of the captain's group?

Has there ever been a team who had a clear #1 goalscorer / best player who never ended up with a captain/assistant role?

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Hard to know who the leaders within the room are, without being in the room. But I went with Scheifele (C), Laine (A), and Morrissey (A).

But a lot can happen in 3-4 years. Scheifele and Laine will be here at that time, they are going nowhere, but you never know with Morrissey. Most likely he’ll be here too, but a trade could happen with him, even if the odds are remote.

Should the Jets acquire (through sign or trade) a good player with tremendous leadership qualities, say a Landeskog, that player could be part of their leadership core as well.

A year ago, the Leafs didn’t know Tavares would be a Leaf and he will wear a letter (either an A or the C). Same could happen with the Jets.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Chef = C (Obviously. I would be shocked if he wasn't the next captain)
Morrissey = A
Lowry = A

Was torn between Lowry and Laine. After voting, I would consider changing Laine and Lowry. Laine definitely has the drive to improve every aspect of his game on and off the ice, I think he's the type of person who would want a letter.

Reactions: Halberdier

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheifele, Lowry, Morrissey - I see many voters agree. These guys seem like leaders and are already in Winnipeg all the time in the offseason doing charity events and whatnot. 2 centres who'll be out there the majority of the game, and a top pair defender playing over 20 minutes a night, so good icetime coverage.

Reactions: heretik27

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Scheifele, Lowry, Morrissey.

Voted before looking, and surprised that they seem to be the vast majority for everyone haha.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I chose Laine too for an A.

It's not an easy choice at all, but for those who DIDN'T choose him... is it really possible to keep your superstar and (almost certainly) top scorer and best player out of the captain's group?

Has there ever been a team who had a clear #1 goalscorer / best player who never ended up with a captain/assistant role?

I'll vote Scheifele as best player every single time I'm asked. Laine might get there but he's clearly not the best player on the ice by quite a margin. Best scorer, yes, but overall game, can't hold a candle to Scheifele (assuming we're discounting Wheeler since we're talking about the future). I certainly hope to change that opinion in a few years but I'm not counting on it given 55s work ethic. Now if only he'd incorporate some badminton...

Reactions: Gotaf7

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
I'll vote Scheifele as best player every single time I'm asked. Laine might get there but he's clearly not the best player on the ice by quite a margin. Best scorer, yes, but overall game, can't hold a candle to Scheifele (assuming we're discounting Wheeler since we're talking about the future). I certainly hope to change that opinion in a few years but I'm not counting on it given 55s work ethic. Now if only he'd incorporate some badminton...

I agree, unfortunately you have opened a massive can of worms I predict 10 pages of bickering before this thread gets closed down! I voted Sheif, Lowry and Morrisey, when interviewed these 3 guys come off as real leaders in my opinion.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I selected this:
Scheifele - C
Lowry - A
Morrissey - A

Everyone else agreed!

Laine isn't a terrible pick, but the thing is I find it's best to let him just play hockey and have that as his only responsibility.

Reactions: Jack722

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Scheifele as C obviously
Went with Morrissey as an A
The other A to Little if he's still here, Laine otherwise

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

I'm guessing you think talks of 8+m for Laine are outrageous?

I think it's clear (to me) that he'll get there. And once he's there, don't you have to give him the A? It would be pretty crazy not to, but maybe he doesn't care about it and would prefer to not deal with it.

And, FWIW, from what I can tell the best players to have never donned a C or A are Jarri Kurri and Tarasenko.

We're lucky to have so many great potential leaders on the team.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I selected this:
Scheifele - C
Lowry - A
Morrissey - A

Everyone else agreed!

Laine isn't a terrible pick, but the thing is I find it's best to let him just play hockey and have that as his only responsibility.

Scheifele gets the C, but I feel Laine is going to get a letter, I mean for everything he does& brings to the table outside the rink and the player he potentially is going to be inside the rink.
His value unless something terrible happens will be massive.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Laine is the money guy and should be going forward while being one of the leaders on the ice.

I just don't see prime Laine not having a letter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad