Prospect Info: Now the draft is over who did you want that the Bruins passed on?

AgentWebster

Jul 7, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm not talking about first-round picks but 2nd-7th round. For me I wish the Bruins could of drafted Josh Wesley who went #6 in the 4th round to the Carolina Hurricanes. I'm sure you guys know his father but besides that he's got size and hockey smarts. I feel like we missed out! Well that's my pick what about you guys?

Last edited:

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I'm not talking about first-round picks but 2nd-7th round. For me I wish the Bruins could of drafted Josh Wesley who went #6 in the 4th round to the Carolina Hurricanes. I'm sure you guys know his father but besides that he's got size and hockey smarts. I feel like we missed out! Well that's my pick what about you guys?
Did you mean "passed" on?

I was hoping for a defenceman somewhere before the seventh round to balance things out. But this draft was short on quality at that position.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
My bad, didn't read OP, just thread title
That's ok. That was my initial reaction, too.

Despite the red flags I wanted his skill level in this org. with the hope that whatever issues he has can be dealt with in the next year or two. Islanders are risk takers. I hope this turns out better for them than the Kiril Kabanov pick.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
I wish they had put together a trade package to move up in second round - as Chicago moved up in first round - and draft defence prospect Marcus Pettersson, who went to Anaheim at pick 38.

AgentWebster

Jul 7, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I thought the Bruins were going to trade for a 2nd round pick but next years. I really thought Johnny was going to be traded for a second round pick and would become a first round pick if the team he was traded to makes the conference finals or something along those lines. He is a proven playoff warrior with experience, leadership, and toughness. I really don't want to see him go but the writing is on the wall. Anyone that says that we get anything less than a second round pick for Johnny is crazy.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Anyone who thinks we should get less that a FIRST round pick for Johnny is crazy. He was the Bruins best defenceman during the playoffs. He's tough, blocks shots, has a bullet for one himself and fills the number three slot on our defense.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I wanted them to trade Bart's rights and add something for a late third. Karlsson dropped a LOT, I think he's overrated and didn't deserve to be ranked near the top 30, but worth a 3rd round pick for sure.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Didn't make sense for the Bruins to draft a defenseman, unless that player was by far the best player available. They are very well stocked at that position, to the point where we'll probably see at least 2 defensemen traded this offseason.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Cameron Darcy, local guy who had a great season in the Q as a 19 year old.

Wouldn't have minded using a 6th or 7th on him.

OrrCam

Aug 9, 2008

Hunter Smith :(

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
I thought it was ridiculous that Spencer Watson lasted until the 2nd last pick of the draft to LA of all teams. I know he is small, but 33 goals and 65 points for Kingston is pretty solid #'s. The guy was rated #65 in the Hockey News for God's sake. While he admittedly is no Hainen, :amazed: I would have thought they could have snuck him in as their 7th round choice at least.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Hunter Smith

Yup, instead we have a draft that will be competing with the 92 draft that included Kvartolnov, Panteleev, Dopita and Pavlov as one of the worst ever and set the tone for the girl scout hockey the Bruins would begin to play for a few years after that draft.

They passed on size and toughness left and right for small, undersized guys who all "need to get bigger and stronger", here's a thought, draft bigger and stronger guys.

I know it was a weak draft, but sadly the style of draft is what I expected from Gretzky, small, weak, soft players who will probably never play in the NHL.

Sets a very bad trend going forward in team philosophy.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Anyone who thinks we should get less that a FIRST round pick for Johnny is crazy. He was the Bruins best defenceman during the playoffs. He's tough, blocks shots, has a bullet for one himself and fills the number three slot on our defense.

Agree with that for sure. It'd be a disaster to the defense to trade him. IF Seids doesn't come back strong especially.

Hunter Smith :(
Me too. I prob. wouldn't have had a problem with them taking him even in the first round if they did value him highly.

Yup, instead we have a draft that will be competing with the 92 draft that included Kvartolnov, Panteleev, Dopita and Pavlov as one of the worst ever and set the tone for the girl scout hockey the Bruins would begin to play for a few years after that draft.

They passed on size and toughness left and right for small, undersized guys who all "need to get bigger and stronger", here's a thought, draft bigger and stronger guys.

I know it was a weak draft, but sadly the style of draft is what I expected from Gretzky, small, weak, soft players who will probably never play in the NHL.

Exactly what I'm afraid of. Chia wasn't here then but he'll never know what how badly those picks hurt the team for years and years. Trying to change the identity of the team to that extent could be a HUGE mistake.

Last edited:

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto

We had 5 picks. The first 3 were all 6 ' tall. The last two were 5' 11". First off, saying we drafted small is a huge overstatement. They are all kids and could easily grow another inch or two and are already average height for NHL, not small. Virtually all of these 18 year olds drafted on draft day still need to fill out and get stronger. Not sure which all star beheomiths you are talking about that they should have taken instead. Again, it seems like for some, the Bruins should fire their entire scouting staff and simply draft the biggest players available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad