Speculation: Now that we know LA has #2 pick - how likely are they to make a play at #1?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
As likely as any other #2 team in a draft where there is considered to be a clear gap with the top player.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If a team like Chicago gets 1st overall--the Kings would need to offer: 2nd OV, Kaliyev and a 2nd rounder to get the Hawks to even consider IMO.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
When the 1 placard was revealed, I really wanted LA to get 1OA somehow. But now I think about it, I feel Laf will be the next Rick Nash.

LA is not a team that works well when our best player is a winger. We like strength down the middle, from centers, defense and goaltending.
Now that you think about it? Now that you think about what? "my team didn't win the lottery so I'm going to belittle Laf where as if we won the lottery I would be pumping his tires like no tomorrow"

Reactions: Rorschach

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hey now... we've had VERY few first round picks since those. It's about time we get another :laugh:

What happened to the Penguins' first-round picks over the past 15 years?

That's because you keep trading them away, they have usually been mid to late 1sts but damn, most of these trades have not worked out for PIT.
Kessel seems to be the best one so far.

PIT is not deserving when Fleury, Crosby, Malkin and Staal were all 1st or 2nd overall picks in the last 15 years.
3 Cups, 5 in my lifetime.
Time for PIT to enjoy the twilight years of Crosby and Malkin but after that, hopefully some FLA like misery is ahead :neener:

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I hate buy outs as it doubles the length you are stuck with it . Maybe it just me but Doughty has been declining for a few years . Don't watch many Kings games so maybe I am wrong . I also think you draft first and move the players you mention throw a boat load of money at Petro
That works as well.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Of course he did. Every gm says that about their best/most valuable players. And that holds true until something better comes along.

Pretty sure Lafreniere is something better.

Not saying a deal happens - but i dont think a promise not to trade Doughty should be such a big factor here.

With the state of the Kings defense it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad