Speculation: Now that we know LA has #2 pick - how likely are they to make a play at #1?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Rumors all year long of teams trading up in the draft for #1 pick. I've always felt the most likely trade is with pick#2 in play, anything below that and value is way too far off.

Obviously we don't yet know who has pick #1 - but looking at this strictly from LA's point of view, how likely are they to make a play for #1? Who would they select at #2 - and what would they be willing to pay on top of pick#2 to move up and secure Lafreniere?

Or is LA one of those teams where #2 is perfect, and almost for sure see no incentive in trading up?

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Pittsburgh
Montréal
Carolina
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
Florida
Toronto
Columbus
Edmonton
Chicago
Nashville
Arizona
Vancouver
Minnesota
Calgary
Winnipeg

I say the pick goes to the loser of Edmonton/Chicago or Pittsburgh/Montréal

Reactions: Joel Ward

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Would cost more than #2 overall + 2021 1st imo

I think so. LA isn't a typical bottom feeder, with Doughty, Kopitar and those 2 cups. Them being contender for divisional lead in reg season as early as next year isnt that far fetched
So that 2021 pick could very well be ~20th or so. Not super attractive

I think it takes a guatanteed player/prospect to entice the #1 team. Someone specific

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Rumors all year long of teams trading up in the draft for #1 pick. I've always felt the most likely trade is with pick#2 in play, anything below that and value is way too far off.

Obviously we don't yet know who has pick #1 - but looking at this strictly from LA's point of view, how likely are they to make a play for #1? Who would they select at #2 - and what would they be willing to pay on top of pick#2 to move up and secure Lafreniere?

Or is LA one of those teams where #2 is perfect, and almost for sure see no incentive in trading up?

*cough* if Calgary loses and wins it *cough* I'll take Vilardi and #2 OA for #1 OA :)

Reactions: Marner4Life

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Any team who trades that #1 overall pick be crazy. Lafreniere by country mile best talent available.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If its Montreal, hometown boy is drafted by us. I could see LA trading down with Detroit. #2 overall for #4 and #32.

Detroit pick Stutzle and LA Drysdale + a faller. Win-win

Reactions: Rorschach

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Kings are in the best spot for this draft. They either get a Kopitar replacement at #2 or move down for a Doughty replacement. The incentive to move up or down is not likely.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
There is no reason for LA to blow assets on trying to pry #1 from the placeholder team (who likely will take 1 and run as well). You take Byfield and run in this situation.

LA already, arguably, has the best prospect pool in the league going into the draft, are coming off a 10 game win streak where things were finally starting to click with their veterans and prospects, and now are handed the 2nd overall pick with three second-round picks... They might package to move up to the later first round, but you don't sell the farm the Kings have now for one player at this point.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Pittsburgh
Montréal
Carolina
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
Florida
Toronto
Columbus
Edmonton
Chicago
Nashville
Arizona
Vancouver
Minnesota
Calgary
Winnipeg

I say the pick goes to the loser of Edmonton/Chicago or Pittsburgh/Montréal

Or you know Minnesota, who has the big new years game & nhl would want a young superstar along with fiala

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If its Montreal, hometown boy is drafted by us. I could see LA trading down with Detroit. #2 overall for #4 and #32.

I could see this happen for sure. As a sens fan would be quite sad haha. Really hoping Drysdale slips to 5.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
None of those teams in the qualifiers thought they had any shot of Lafreniere. There's no way in hell they would trade out of that. All that being said, the Kings will be content with #2

Reactions: Guitpik

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I could see this happen for sure. As a sens fan would be quite sad haha. Really hoping Drysdale slips to 5.

I think that would be a real possibility if LA love Drysdale. It’s already been reported that Yzeman is REALLY in love with Stutzle so we’ll see

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Kings would be foolish to not try but it won't work. The team getting LaF will likely want someone that can step in immediately since they aren't rebuilding.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

This is a very possible scenario. I think it costs more than #32 but not much more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad