Now that Washington won a Stanley Cup how do you view them trading Filip Forsberg?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
still an awful, awful trade

that said, the caps won a cup before nashville so there's that caps fans

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I think a lot of people are in agreement that when Washington traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat it was one of the worst trades of all time. However now that they just won a Stanley Cup will this trade no longer need to be brought up or should it still get mentioned when it comes to all time bad NHL trades?

I have always hated when HF users say the hyperbole that I'm about to, but this might actually be the worst thread I've ever seen.
1) That trade was, is, and always will be a terrible trade any way you slice it.
2) This Stanley Cup, five years later or not, has absolutely nothing to do with the players they acquired in the deal.
3) To even suggest this trade has anything to do with their Stanley Cup win implies that you are suggesting if Forsberg was still a Cap they would not have won it.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Some of you need to watch Forsberg play, "not that strong", "one dimensional winger"

Forsberg is physical, and a 2 way winger

I mean while I agree, eye test alone can be deceiving and isn't always the best way to judge. Forsberg has good advanced stats, but nothing screams Selke. Besides I have watched Forsberg play a ton and I feel his Dzone play is good but nothing special, his main defensive attributes is on the forecheck and neutral zone play, not in the Dzone.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I mean while I agree, eye test alone can be deceiving and isn't always the best way to judge. Forsberg has good advanced stats, but nothing screams Selke. Besides I have watched Forsberg play a ton and I feel his Dzone play is good but nothing special, his main defensive attributes is on the forecheck and neutral zone play, not in the Dzone.
My point was more about the physicality but I do think he is a good two-way player maybe 9 Elite and no where did I say Elite but he is a two-way Defender

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
It's still a bad trade but a team usually consists of more than one player. The Bruins also won the cup despite trading Joe Thornton for crap.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Who knows. The Caps eventually won a cup. They might have won it before or this year with Forsberg. You might argue that Forsberg have never been higher than 64 points, but this year he went 80P i 80 games in regular season+playoffs. You also have the fact that you wouldve had 2 seasons with him on low salary in 14/15 and 15/16(Oshies first in Caps) where you could add some extra pieces to make a push. Anyways I believe no Caps fan feels that bad about it now after the stanley cup where Oshie was really important and you never know how the team would have been if that trade had happened. McPhee might still have been running things.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
It's still a bad trade but a team usually consists of more than one player. The Bruins also won the cup despite trading Joe Thornton for crap.

Yep and the Caps made a lot of other good moves. Oshie for Brouwer was huge. Then you have Niskanen who have been a rock for the defence. Should also mention solid drafting over the years. Almost no misses with mostly late picks in the 1st round and also some gems in the later rounds like Holtby and Orlov.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
It was a terrible trade, but Washington could;nt have afforded Forsberg with their current team.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's still terrible? I don't see why winning a cup 5 years after a trade negates out a bad trade from being bad. I could have seen an argument had Erat played a role in winning a cup (like Despres for Lovejoy), but Erat has been long gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad