Now that Washington won a Stanley Cup how do you view them trading Filip Forsberg?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
In hindsight it is a bad trade but we don't know how Forsberg would have developed had he stayed with the Caps. He would have been way down on the depth chart. In Nashville he was on the top line and top pp unit immediately.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
It's still a debacle of a trade for the Caps, I just don't care anymore since they got us a Cup and GMGM is gone.

Who knows if they ever win if they keep FF. They may not have fired McPhee, and GMBM's moves are what put them over the top.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Hard to say whether we win sooner or not at all without the Forsberg trade. But we won. So I wouldn’t change a damn thing.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
God awful trade the day it was made. I remember being in disbelief when I heard Forsberg was the price for Erat. It only got worse as time went on.

With that said, although it was a god awful trade that made me continue to ask what if Forsberg was here? I can now put that to rest, which most other Caps fans probably agree with. I could careless about the trade now, which is quite satisfying to finally feel. It was wonderful having the Capitals beat GMGM's team in the finals.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
What Washington’s success tells us is that drafting Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Kuznetsov caliber superstars is a lot more important than properly managing Forsberg level stars.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
It's still a debacle of a trade for the Caps, I just don't care anymore since they got us a Cup and GMGM is gone.

Who knows if they ever win if they keep FF. They may not have fired McPhee, and GMBM's moves are what put them over the top.
Gmgm still doesn't get the trade deadline. He swapped a first for tarter sauce

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
The trade was probably the big factor in a decision to change GM a year later.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Doesn't change the fact that it was a terrible trade.

If I get robbed, but land a great new job the next year, does that somehow diminish the robbery?

Reactions: Sentinel
Feb 24, 2017
It’s probaly the same as bruins trading joe then winning it

Butterfly effect stuff

The cup is affected by so many factors, you change even one of em and some other team wins

Reactions: Sentinel

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Oh, it was a terrible trade, but Caps fans don't care about it as much anymore.

In any event, had they not traded him, three or four subsequent moves would not have happened, without which the Cup win might not have happened. Certainly they would never have been able to ice the same team. They built a team full up to the gills on the salary cap without him, and they relied on their depth scoring to win.

Beyond that, they can't exactly fire their GM again, and GMGM has now suffered enough for his transgressions. They've won a Cup before Nashville, and before GMGM, both of which help a great deal.

Basically, Caps fans are feeling no pain this summer.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
... A team winning the cup doesn't suddenly make an awful trade better. It still was an awful trade.
Oh, it was a terrible trade, but Caps fans don't care about it as much anymore.

In any event, had they not traded him, three or four subsequent moves would not have happened, without which the Cup win might not have happened.
... Or they could have won several cups instead of just one in this time span.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I think a lot of people are in agreement that when Washington traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat it was one of the worst trades of all time. However now that they just won a Stanley Cup will this trade no longer need to be brought up or should it still get mentioned when it comes to all time bad NHL trades?
Um....huh?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Trading Forsberg isn't really an issue. Trading him for Erat is worse. Between Ov running him over and breaking his wrist and Oates forcing a guy that played his off wing to play out of position for his handedness compulsion, it might have been the Erat part wouldn't have looked so bad. But it did.

The facts are that McPhee has Wilson ahead of Forsberg on the depth chart. He turned out to be right about Wilson. Forsberg meanwhile would not be on the first pp unit and his impact might have been considerably different. Think that his spot in the lineup belongs to either Vrana or Burakovsky now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
... Or they could have won several cups instead of just one in this time span.

Please. Fill that out for me? How does he make that difference on the Capitals. On the Nashville pp where he gets a big chunk of his goals and points, he stands in Ov's office. He is a right shot left winger.

Note, Forsberg had 1 more even strength goal this season than Tom Wilson.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
It was one of the worst trades in a long long time. But i honestly believe that without that trade GMGM is not fired and Caps are not where they are now. So as much as i would love to have Forseberg back i think that trade was a big blessing in disguise.

McPhee is not a bad GM btw, but it was time for him to leave Washington

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
People currently trying to find a logical answer to this thread:

upload_2018-6-14_14-57-14.png

Red Dread

Oct 19, 2011
Maryland
As others have put it, the effects of Forsberg's trade ultimately still led the Caps where they are now.

Still, imagine the potential top 6:
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson/Vrana
Forsberg-Backstrom-Oshie

Some of those players don't come over in this alternate timeline, but it's fun to be hypothetical.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Winning the cup doesn't change a thing, it was still a horrendous trade.

In fact, it only gets worse as time goes on. Reality is the Caps haven't needed Forsberg yet. They've been winning division titles and now a cup. He was never part of the team, so they didn't really lose anything.

But fast forward a few years when Ovechkin/Oshie are both getting to their mid 30's that's when it would be really nice to have a guy who can score 30 goals and be a leader on the ice because im not sure if Vrana/Burakovsky will ever get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad