Speculation: Now should NYR lose for draft position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't think the draft position would make much of a difference.

Close down the guys with injuries, sure, but otherwise you play to win. Maybe it would be different if we were talking about the difference between picking 10 and picking 2 or something, but it's not.

Reactions: eco's bones

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I don't think the draft position would make much of a difference.

Close down the guys with injuries, sure, but otherwise you play to win. Maybe it would be different if we were talking about the difference between picking 10 and picking 2 or something, but it's not.
Do you think someone like Raty could become a Lundell level center? I mean there was a lot of hype a few years ago. If so it would suck if he was picked around the 12-14 slot. I guess we could always trade up if the organization likes him but we all know that is not always easy in the top half of the first round.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Nah. But with our injuries, players realizing the playoffs are not happening, and our remaining schedule, I think we will lose a bunch of games to close out the season anyway. We might take 1 from the Caps but we’re losing tomorrow vs NYI and the 2 vs Boston

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Do you think someone like Raty could become a Lundell level center? I mean there was a lot of hype a few years ago. If so it would suck if he was picked around the 12-14 slot. I guess we could always trade up if the organization likes him but we all know that is not always easy in the top half of the first round.
I don't really know. Thing is, even if we lost out, it's not guaranteed we move up anywhere significantly. I'd rather try to keep something positive going into next year and let the draft chops fall as they may. JMO.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
It's funny, because with Howden probably Trouba and likely Lindgren and Kreider out most people are gonna say the Rangers are tanking anyway. I almost don't even want to win this lottery because it will lead to decades of conspiracy theories when we inevitably become annual cup contenders.

Honestly, if we won I wouldn't be opposed to listening to offers if it meant getting a haul back in return. A legit center prospect and a 1st in next years draft would be sexy.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
There is likely going to be 5 or 6 centers that all rank in the 8-20 range, and one or two of them will be there when we pick 15.

Its not worth the "effort" IMO.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
No way.

Take these games and give Kakko, LaF, Chytil, Kravtsov, Miller, and Jones 20 mins a night and most importantly, PP time and let them play against real playoff teams.

Then just win the Lottery anyway and take Power or Beniers and watch the boards burn in flames.

Reactions: bernmeister

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Another weird thread.

How many spots can we even gain by losing?! One or two?

f*** losing for draft spots now! f*** losing altogether now, way too late in order to gain in the draft. Play the kids, whatever happen happens.

Either we win the lottery or we pick 15-16. Nobody is gonna tell the team to lose the last games for one lousy draft spot ...

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You never intentionally try to lose. What type of message would that be for the young kids on this team. Honestly even if we lost our last 6 games here, do we even drop that much lower at this point? I don't think gaining a few slots will make that much of a difference, especially in this year's draft which is going to be more of a crapshoot than usual.

No, we should play the kids as much as possible and whatever happens happens.

Keep playing to win. Mix the kids in more and let the lottery and draft slots fall where they do.

No way.

Take these games and give Kakko, LaF, Chytil, Kravtsov, Miller, and Jones 20 mins a night and most importantly, PP time and let them play against real playoff teams.

Then just win the Lottery anyway and take Power or Beniers and watch the boards burn in flames.

applaud OP for raising the ?

Is it a pragmatic option?

bottom line:
You never DELIBERATELY, INTENTIONALLY lose, the way Pens so disgracefully did the year they tanked for Mario Lemieux.

However, we should be not playing practically any vets other than Fox either due to injury or wear and tear maintenance.
So all kids should get max mins.

Let them play hard.
Then if there is a couple of pivotal game moments we can just not be uber vigilant about, that's something else.

The smart play here is
try my lines:
Kakko-Krav-Panarin
LaF-Chytil-Gauthier

then go kid heavy bottom half
and on D

AND give Huska the 4 or whatev games cup o coffee just to see what he has.
If he stonewalls high end opp, then we can consider to extend or trade his rights before extend, and if he can't handle it from playoff teams with our roster so green w/youth, then we lose and that achieves objective of optimizing draft pick.

Reactions: egelband

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
You NEVER play to lose.

As an advocate for a rebuild all the way back to the late '90s, I have never ONCE wanted this team to purposefully lose.

What you DO do is emphasize the future in your transactions and personnel decisions. (For example, at past trade deadlines, trading McDonagh, Zuc, Hayes, and in the immediate timeframe, reinserting Gauthier in the lineup to see if he can be part of the future, calling up Barron to see what he looks like at the NHL level, etc.) After that, you go out and try to win every darn game. Then, finally, you let the pingpong balls bounce as they will.

Thankfully, that's what the org has done to this point. So far, it's worked pretty well.

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
I don't think it's as easy as many think for players and coaches to go from a playing-to-win mentality to a losing one. Just psychologically. Tanking for picks is not something teams really do especially when the team is gearing up to start winning for real.

In other words the tanking ship has sailed for this team. I'm surprised some people don't see this.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
applaud OP for raising the ?

Is it a pragmatic option?

bottom line:
You never DELIBERATELY, INTENTIONALLY lose, the way Pens so disgracefully did the year they tanked for Mario Lemieux.

However, we should be not playing practically any vets other than Fox either due to injury or wear and tear maintenance.
So all kids should get max mins.

Let them play hard.
Then if there is a couple of pivotal game moments we can just not be uber vigilant about, that's something else.

The smart play here is
try my lines:
Kakko-Krav-Panarin
LaF-Chytil-Gauthier

then go kid heavy bottom half
and on D

AND give Huska the 4 or whatev games cup o coffee just to see what he has.
If he stonewalls high end opp, then we can consider to extend or trade his rights before extend, and if he can't handle it from playoff teams with our roster so green w/youth, then we lose and that achieves objective of optimizing draft pick.
I don’t think there are any intentions to play Kravtsov at center

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
We should win to save Quinn's job so we can rinse and repeat until the next rebuild. Rebuild is similar to doing home improvements, if you want it done right get rid of cheap unlicensed con artists and hire professionals.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don’t think there are any intentions to play Kravtsov at center

won't be the first or last time not listening to me is/was a mistake

Nobody incl me gets all of it right all the time

but there is zero reason to not try esp
Kakko-Krav-Panarin
on paper is flawless as a line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad