Speculation: Now should NYR lose for draft position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
today NYR likely slot 15th for draft, pre-lottery

but could easily fall to near, or into, top 10
DO we care?

IF NYR LOSE out, they drop to +2 (Pts-GP)

NON-playoff teams which might pass them:
Dallas +4 6GR(games remaining) (or Nashville, one makes playoffs)
Phila +1 6GR
Chicago .500 6GR
Calgary -2 7GR
Van -3 12!GR
SJ -4 7GR
LA -5 9GR

Ott -8
DET -9
CBJ -9
NJ -11
SEA
Ana -13
Buf -18

UPDATED/CORRECTED to remove AZ and insert Seattle

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
You never intentionally try to lose. What type of message would that be for the young kids on this team. Honestly even if we lost our last 6 games here, do we even drop that much lower at this point? I don't think gaining a few slots will make that much of a difference, especially in this year's draft which is going to be more of a crapshoot than usual.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Outsider here, but don't you want to maintain a winning culture with young players coming up? Your team is on the edge. Not like last year on the edge but seriously on the border of some great years coming. Do you want to teach your most impressionable players that strategic losing is a thing?

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
Win. This is probably a year where some guys will shoot up the board that shouldn't and some good players will fall in response. Also, if they start playing the kids in prominent roles more and play some prospects to see what they have, you might get that result just as a consequence. Regardless, try to win, just do it with the kids leading the charge.

Reactions: egelband

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think they'll need to lose on purpose. Their remaining schedule is Islanders, Washington and Boston twice.

Reactions: CasusBelli

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Considering the level of opposition and with Kreider, Trouba, Lindgren and (Howden) all possibly out, things will likely sort themselves out by metrics it appears...

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Looking like slotting in at 16th (you're forgetting Seattle being in this draft OP). The only chance we drop to 15th is if the Nashville vs Dallas battle has them both pull ahead of us with our difficult 5 games left. the difference between 15 and 16 is basically pointless especially in this particular draft.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
They aren’t going to tank, but they will just lose more than they win to finish the season because the teams they play are just better.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean I am certainly shutting Trouba, Lindgren and Kreider down if that’s what you are asking

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Looking like slotting in at 16th (you're forgetting Seattle being in this draft OP). The only chance we drop to 15th is if the Nashville vs Dallas battle has them both pull ahead of us with our difficult 5 games left. the difference between 15 and 16 is basically pointless especially in this particular draft.
actually , my bad, i knew then forgot, AZ has NO 1st pick this year (forfieited due to breaking scouting rules)
but Seattle will fill in a spot

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The team will like shut down the banged up players once they are mathematically eliminated. Others might mentally check out, because they’re human. But none of the players actively care whether the team will be drafting 1st, 10th, or 15th this summer.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Deliberately losing? No way. I could see giving Gauthier and DiGiuseppe and maybe Bitetto, Barron or Reunanen games though. Their legit enough players and prospects.

pretty sure Trouba was concussed pretty good. I already thought his regular season was done.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Just draft someone who can marinate a year or two and be a bitch to play against.
I think Mike York will be the last forward rookie this organization drafts that actually put the puck in the net his rookie season.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Always play to win. It helped in winning Laf and Kakko so it should be no different today, the rest of the season and for the rest of whatever eternity is left on this planet

This aint no punk ass team

Reactions: Leetch3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad