Post-Game Talk: November 4th: Canucks @ Avs

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It certainly looks like there will be changes, and that is encouraging, however I would caution that since it looks like they're not completely abandoning the Man-to-Man strategy, rather adapting it and adding some things to it, that it might take some time for the players to "get it".

Roy is preaching that they can't be afraid to leave their man, must trust that another player will pick that man up--that could potentially result in some blown coverages if someone doesn't pick that man up (case in point-Guenin on Fowler)

All systems have some sort of man on man element to it. Defenders and the center pick up their player down low even if they have more freedom to help each other out to get the puck back.

As long as Roy realize that the main objective of a defensive system isn't to contain but to get the puck back, I'm happy.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
With Redmond back in I wonder if Roy dares to remove Golden Holden from the PP where he has been invisible at the top of the umbrella, where he was moved when it became apparent that no one would fall for the back door trick.

I also hope Roy asks Tanguay if his brain is in Colorado when he tries a 1 vs 4 zone entry on the PP.

We seem to have gotten away from that scheme that allowed him to sneak in back door. Last year Duchene and RoR kept the puck down on that right side corner which provided many opportunies for Holden to sneak down the backside. Everything that unit did was centered around RoR and Duchene rotating back and forth in that corner with the puck. We rarely ever have the puck down there anymore. We certainly don't try and keep it there. The play is coming from the points a lot more now like any normal PP.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That EJ Thread on the main board is making my head spin. So many people claiming he's a second poring on #2. A blues fan saying he wouldn't trade shatty for him...

I need to learn to stay away from these discussions but I always seem to get sucked in.

Don't worry, majority of Blues are throwing him under the bus because he never developed in St. Louis. It is a lot like how majority of the Avs fans on this board threw Wolski under the bus, drove back and forth a million times when he got traded. Every fanbase will ultimately hate the players they trade.

They're saying Shattenkirk is better to troll Avs fans and are blinded by hate. I really do not consider their opinion valid by any means. When I created the Darren Pang thread, they targeted me being an Avs fan when it absolutely had nothing to do about it. :laugh:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Don't worry, majority of Blues are throwing him under the bus because he never developed in St. Louis. It is a lot like how majority of the Avs fans on this board threw Wolski under the bus, drove back and forth a million times when he got traded. Every fanbase will ultimately hate the players they trade.

They're saying Shattenkirk is better to troll Avs fans and are blinded by hate. I really do not consider their opinion valid by any means. When I created the Darren Pang thread, they targeted me being an Avs fan when it absolutely had nothing to do about it. :laugh:

What did you say about 'Panger', I can barely even sit through a game when hes on.

This may sound a little crude, but almost everything he says makes me want to punch his face BAD.

This comes from back when he was covering Pit games almost nightly, and I used to watch them regularly.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We seem to have gotten away from that scheme that allowed him to sneak in back door. Last year Duchene and RoR kept the puck down on that right side corner which provided many opportunies for Holden to sneak down the backside. Everything that unit did was centered around RoR and Duchene rotating back and forth in that corner with the puck. We rarely ever have the puck down there anymore. We certainly don't try and keep it there. The play is coming from the points a lot more now like any normal PP.

Well, I think that's partially because they're clogging up the slot a lot better these days when they play the Avs. You can see a lot of teams adopted the Wylde's strategy that worked so well in the playoffs. They're now prepared for someone to drop down from the point into the slot area when that play took them by surprise before. The only way around that IMO is to crash the net with impunity and get to those rebounds.

Well...come on now, Wolski deserved all the slagging he got. A guy who could be a dominant player when he cared enough. So frustrating to see a guy like that throw it all away because he's so damned lazy.

And I for one don't think Shatty is better than EJ or any nonsense like that, but the trade benefited both teams as EJ would never do well in St. Louis so long as the spectre of 1st-overall hung over him.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
wolski.gif

wolski-miss.gif

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
What did you say about 'Panger', I can barely even sit through a game when hes on.

This may sound a little crude, but almost everything he says makes me want to punch his face BAD.

This comes from back when he was covering Pit games almost nightly, and I used to watch them regularly.

Your General Guenin avatar is most excellent. I was tempted to try and cook something up but I'm too busy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad