Injury Report: Nov. 6 upd: Braydon Coburn could return as early as Saturday

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Tbf though a lot of medical staff around the world are incompetant.

My Doctor did not know what Olecranon bursitis was when I went with it after a rugby injury. I had had it before so just explained it to her!

Two years later I went to her with two broken elbows, (I had already had them diagnosed by a different doctor, but who said I should go to my 'GP' as well) instead of telling her that they were broken I asked what she thought was wrong...

now you could not make this up... she said 'probably Olecranon bursitis'.

I now go to a different doctors. :laugh:

Same doctor also missed my broken cheekbone at one point... my dentist was the person who said he thought I had one and said I should go to the hospital. Two days after the doctor had examined me.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Bobby Clarke was a petulant idiot throughout the whole "divorce" episode. Clown had to air out the dirty laundry in public. He's lucky he even got 1 decent player (Kim Johnnson) when he finally traded him. Way to market your assets as a GM by trashing em in public....

While I agree with not caving into Lindros demands to only be traded to one team(Toronto), Clarke's ego got the best of him. he should of kept his mouth shut and shopped Lindros if he really didn't want him.
at least he got Kapanen with one of the assets in the Lindros trade.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah how bout McCrossin's bright idea for Bryz to add muscle......backfired even if Bryz was most responsible for being the dumpster fire he was.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I think we put a little to much stock into what control mccrossin has. He is an athletic trainer, certified to treat sprained ankles, shoulder injuries etc. He is not a medical professional at all and would not be able to diagnose any internal injury or collapsed lung.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Yeh, but the team Doctors are not 'with' the team all the time. In practice a lot of the medical decisions are taken by the trainer. During a game he effectively is.

McCrossin has a Masters degree in Sports Medicine and is a member of the American College of Sports Medicine. Not exactly unqualified.

During games away from Philadelphia Jim McCrossin would be the guy responsible for medical care as the Doctors rarely travel.

He now has the same position that Worley held.

'Head' was I admit a poor way to describe it, but in a lot of circumstances he is the person who in practice makes a judgement call. As Worley did with Lindros.

He is the person who makes the initial assessment of an injury, whether to pull them from the game, and the guy who would make such decisions on a road trip.

Although I never got my degree, I was in the PhD program at U of MD for exercise physiology. Most of the students in my classes there were in the Master's program, essentially the same degree McCrossin has. Those people were in no way qualified to diagnose serious injuries. Anyone can be a member of the American College of Sports Medicine if you're in the field somehow and you pay your dues.

I'm pretty sure there is always an MD at every NHL game.

The only point I'm really trying to make here is that Flyers fans direct a lot of flac at McCrossin for things that he's not responsible for and lacks the training to handle.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
While I agree with not caving into Lindros demands to only be traded to one team(Toronto), Clarke's ego got the best of him. he should of kept his mouth shut and shopped Lindros if he really didn't want him.
at least he got Kapanen with one of the assets in the Lindros trade.

I'll never forgive him for how he would let his emotions dictate some of his critical business decisions. He's admitted to his failures and how he never liked the business/contract side of hockey. The McCrimmon episode and the Lindros one were two of the more egregious ones.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah how bout McCrossin's bright idea for Bryz to add muscle......backfired even if Bryz was most responsible for being the dumpster fire he was.

"I'm not an expert, much less you goalie coach. But how about you do this thing that could dramatically affect you ability to play your position?"

Add muscle to keep up in the conference, is the guy just constantly drunk? Bryz is a goalie. He needs speed, not bulk. You don't need bulk to stop a 6oz object moving quickly. He's not an enforcer in the DPE.

What does this guy need to do to get fired? Who needs to die of a viru--I mean concussion, before he goes away?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Yeh, but the team Doctors are not 'with' the team all the time. In practice a lot of the medical decisions are taken by the trainer. During a game he effectively is.

McCrossin has a Masters degree in Sports Medicine and is a member of the American College of Sports Medicine. Not exactly unqualified.

During games away from Philadelphia Jim McCrossin would be the guy responsible for medical care as the Doctors rarely travel.

He now has the same position that Worley held.

'Head' was I admit a poor way to describe it, but in a lot of circumstances he is the person who in practice makes a judgement call. As Worley did with Lindros.

He is the person who makes the initial assessment of an injury, whether to pull them from the game, and the guy who would make such decisions on a road trip.

I have a masters in that as well as being a member of acsm, he is not certified at all to diagnose anything. Sports medicine is a glorified term that does the same thing as an athletic trainer.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The only point I'm really trying to make here is that Flyers fans direct a lot of flac at McCrossin for things that he's not responsible for and lacks the training to handle.

Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of concussions should know that you don't figure out workarounds to ignore a fencing response prior to a player falling all over the ice, much less a masters degree.

"Did you perform a baseline test?"

"NAH. DIDNT NEED TO. WASNT GONNA PLAY TONIGHT ANYMORE. I'LL ASK IF HE'S OK IN THE MORNING AND TAKE HIS WORD FOR IT, PRO ATHLETES ARE FAMOUS FOR NOT TRYING TO COVER UP INJURY SYMPTOMS TO PLAY, RIGHT?"

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Although I never got my degree, I was in the PhD program at U of MD for exercise physiology. Most of the students in my classes there were in the Master's program, essentially the same degree McCrossin has. Those people were in no way qualified to diagnose serious injuries. Anyone can be a member of the American College of Sports Medicine if you're in the field somehow and you pay your dues.

I'm pretty sure there is always an MD at every NHL game.

jack straw when were u at college park?

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of concussions should know that you don't figure out workarounds to ignore a fencing response prior to a player falling all over the ice, much less a masters degree.

"Did you perform a baseline test?"

"NAH. DIDNT NEED TO. WASNT GONNA PLAY TONIGHT ANYMORE. I'LL ASK IF HE'S OK IN THE MORNING AND TAKE HIS WORD FOR IT, PRO ATHLETES ARE FAMOUS FOR NOT TRYING TO COVER UP INJURY SYMPTOMS TO PLAY, RIGHT?"

I agree with that. I'm absolutely sure that they are still missing plenty of concussions that occur. NHL and NFL both.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I did a year in the phd program until i realized it was way too clinical for what i wanted. This was in 2011.

I had a Masters in pharmacology so I was interested in the research aspect of exercise phys. While I was there UMD had a big budget crisis and they cut a lot our funding, and I also got frustrated with some of the professors there so I left. It was a pretty good program at the time though (exercise physiology that is), I think it was rated one of the top 5 in the country.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I had a Masters in pharmacology so I was interested in the research aspect of exercise phys. While I was there UMD had a big budget crisis and they cut a lot our funding, and I also got frustrated with some of the professors there so I left. It was a pretty good program at the time though (exercise physiology that is), I think it was rated one of the top 5 in the country.

Yeah it is. The problem with it is that, a phd in clincial ex phys really limits your job options. I was more interested in the strength and conditioning field ( which i have a background in) and not so much the acsm track which the clinical program seemed to focus on.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Yeah it is. The problem with it is that, a phd in clincial ex phys really limits your job options. I was more interested in the strength and conditioning field ( which i have a background in) and not so much the acsm track which the clinical program seemed to focus on.

Yeah, that was another factor in my leaving- it was interesting stuff but I didn't really see any job options that I really wanted to do. And in the meantime I had taught myself programming and ended up get a job as a programmer with no trouble. All together 10+ years of college and graduate school more or less for nothing. Worked out ok in the end though.

So what are you doing now? Working in that field still?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Nice commentary on Coburn's importance to the D corps......my sentiments exactly.

You should hate losin' like we are without him....not hate Coburn like some do on these boards.

FLYERS MISS COBURN'S MINUTES

Being a defenseman is often a thankless job. The player's mistakes are magnified compared to those that forwards make. An unforced turnover or lost coverage that results in an opposition goal or being forced to take a penalty can stand out more than an otherwise solid performance in 20-plus shifts. Hockey people don't hyper-focus on one or two bad shifts in a game -- they look at a bigger picture -- but fans are often quick to do so.

Braydon Coburn is a player whom a segment of the Flyers fan base has turned into a favorite whipping boy over the years. Coburn is not an All-Star caliber defenseman. He is sometimes prone to making "the big mistake" that overshadows everything else he's done in a game. He also doesn't have much of an offensive game. The simpler he keeps his game, the better he does.

That does not mean, however, that Coburn is an easily replaceable player. What his critics fail to recognize is that he plays a lot of tough minutes against other clubs' top lines and has certain attributes -- a rare combination of size and mobility, the stamina to handle short rest periods between shifts, long reach and a quick stick -- that make him tough to replace in the lineup. This is the reason why the Flyers have continually resisted trade offers in recent years.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...urn-Out-Four-Weeks-Phantoms-and-More/45/63347

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Coburn has earned a lot of his criticism, I don't get why you feel the need to be his white knight. He is important, but he is also flawed.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Coburn has earned a lot of his criticism, I don't get why you feel the need to be his white knight. He is important, but he is also flawed.

Hello pot...you should be the last one to use that kind of characterization (white knight) in a pejorative manner. Im a proponent of a good player who receives unfair criticism given a larger context..not a white knight.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hello pot...you should be the last one to use that kind of characterization (white knight) in a pejorative manner. Im a proponent of a good player who receives unfair criticism given a larger context..not a white knight.

His criticism is very fair. We aren't talking about Timonen being blamed for Kane's goal here, we are talking about a guy who tends to be terrible for about 20 games a year, every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad