Injury Report: Nov 21; Dec. 6; Dec. 13; Dec. 19 (Couturier)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
May as well have one common thread.

SUMMARY:

PLAYERINJURYEXPECTED TIME OUT
Wade Allisonhip pointer/oblique muscle strainapproximately 2-to-3 weeks
Cam Atkinsonupper bodyweek-to-week
Travis Konecnyupper body; IR on Nov. 2810-to-14 days
Scott Laughtonshoulder; IR on Nov. 22approximately two weeks; returned Nov, 29
Sean Couturierback; Oct. 27 surgerycould return as early as late January
Bobby Brinkleft hip surgery during the summercould return to AHL in three weeks
Ryan Ellispelviccould miss season
James van Riemsdykleft index finger; Oct. 28 surgerycould return mid-December

Last edited:

DAVIDE1333

Dec 22, 2019
May as well have one common thread.

DS_witchdoctor.jpg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This seems to be what is happening with Atkinson. If gets the surgery he's done till training camp, so they are hoping to avoid it.

"When Josh suffered the injury, the options were to have it surgically repaired and miss the rest of the season or rest and rehabilitate with a chance to return to the lineup," said Kekalainen. "Unfortunately, the injury has not responded as any of us had hoped to the latter and the decision was made to have the surgery now so that Josh will be fully healthy and ready to go next season."

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This seems to be what is happening with Atkinson. If gets the surgery he's done till training camp, so they are hoping to avoid it.

"When Josh suffered the injury, the options were to have it surgically repaired and miss the rest of the season or rest and rehabilitate with a chance to return to the lineup," said Kekalainen. "Unfortunately, the injury has not responded as any of us had hoped to the latter and the decision was made to have the surgery now so that Josh will be fully healthy and ready to go next season."
Don't know why they just don't tell him to get surgery, this team is not making the playoffs, and they can use the slot to audition players and the cap room to sweeten deals at the TDL - so it would be best for him and the team.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd rather they just say Ellis is done but won't retire until the end of his contract.

He has no intention of ever playing for the Flyers again.
I don't think it's about intention. He's physically unable to skate on ice.

Don't know why they just don't tell him to get surgery, this team is not making the playoffs, and they can use the slot to audition players and the cap room to sweeten deals at the TDL - so it would be best for him and the team.
He's 33 so why would he want to rush into surgery that has a 6 month recovery? Teams can't tell players to get surgery if they don't want to get it - see Eichel, Jack.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
They already had the slot...and didn't use it...

They had him on IR and removed him...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bobby Brink hip surgery but progressing. Woo.

Cam Atkinson UBI. Return unknown.

JvR, finger, could return mid-December.

Sean Couturier could return late January at earliest.
Brink is important, need to get him to LHV to work on his skating and game before coming up in the spring.
JVR needs to return and jack up his TDL value.

Just wrap Atkinson and Couts in bubble paper and unwrap them in September so they can play with Bedard and Gauthier. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Devonator

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I don't think it's about intention. He's physically unable to skate on ice.

He's 33 so why would he want to rush into surgery that has a 6 month recovery? Teams can't tell players to get surgery if they don't want to get it - see Eichel, Jack.
Except Eichel, Jack wanted the surgery and the team wouldn't let him, so I don't know how Eichel, Jack has anything to do with anything

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Technically I think it was both wanted a surgery but they couldn't decide on which one of two that should be done.
That's one way of putting it

Eichel wanted a disc replacement, which was backed by an independent surgeon's recommendation. The Sabres said no and wanted fusion because it was less risky.

I'm going to make lunch before this turns into a "debate"

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
Not like we should actually be good with a full roster, but this is 7 of our top 12 forwards and what was counted on (stupidly) to be a top pair defenseman out. The roster for the game last night was just sad. My niece was a part of some middle school band thing playing in the concourse before the game and they got tickets to the game as a part of the deal. My brother in law texted me a picture from his seat and I wasn't jealous at all. I don't think I'd even take a free ticket to a game. They'd have to start offering out Sixers Process ticket deals with bringing a box of Mac and Cheese for a free ticket to another game.

The only forwards who played last night that I would 100% want on an NHL roster are Hayes and Farabee. Maybe Tippett but that is probably more because he was the return for G and I want that to work. Might actually be able to make a respectable top 9 with:

TK - Couts - Cam
Farabee - Hayes - Brink
JVR - Laughton - Allison

From there you can take three of the 10 forwards who played last night to make a 4th line. Since we gave Des a dumb contract, it probably has to be:

Des - Cates - Tippett

Going into the season with Braun or Seeler as your 7th defenseman is fine, but having both of them in a position to play regular minutes is atrocious planning. That doesn't even take into count giving Risto his stupid contract.

At this point, this season should be about two things, development and trying to find a diamond in the rough. I understand the concept of having players like York and Zamula play more minutes for the Phantoms, but I see no harm with them getting 15 minutes a game in the NHL instead of Braun and Seeler. Same thing with some of the forwards, especially with the injuries. Do we really need to see 13 minutes a night from Brown? Come on, man.

Ditch the boarder line NHL vets and let the kids play so you can figure out if they have what it takes to contribute in the league. If not, off load them for any assets you can get. I'd already have Frost on that list to go. As much as I've wanted him to work out, even if just for having an awesome ice hockey name, he doesn't seem like he'll contribute in a top 9 roll in the way we had hoped. Get a pick for him and let a different kid get a run with those minutes.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
That's one way of putting it

Eichel wanted a disc replacement, which was backed by an independent surgeon's recommendation. The Sabres said no and wanted fusion because it was less risky.

I'm going to make lunch before this turns into a "debate"
What ya making?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad