GDT: Nov 21, 2016 @ 5PM: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
To be quite frank, this team is behind because of their drafting. Ferland basically needed to fill Brouwers role. Klimchuk should be filling Frolik's and Poirier and Shinkaruk need to play regular top 9 minutes. Kulak has been a treat on the blueline, but we've been waiting on Witherspoon who's basically a bust at this point.

The result is that we've had to sign Brouwer and Frolik, then use plugs in other spots. You are only as strong as your weakest link, then you factor in guys like Monahan, Bennett and Gaudreau are struggling, and that's why this team is so inconsistent. It what it is, we're in a rebuild and we need to ice a competitive team so players needed to be signed. I like both Brouwer and Frolik, but because we had to sign them and other guys are not there or ready, it's affected our depth at other positions.
I think you are being a bit hard on guys Hox, late first rounders playing more than a year in the AHL is not a shock to anyone. Secondary players take longer to develop, we were spoiled by Gaudreau and Monahan breaking out so early, but they did so without a supporting cast on it's way since they were all drafted the same time as Monahan.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think you are being a bit hard on guys Hox, late first rounders playing more than a year in the AHL is not a shock to anyone. Secondary players take longer to develop, we were spoiled by Gaudreau and Monahan breaking out so early, but they did so without a supporting cast on it's way since they were all drafted the same time as Monahan.

The only one I'm really being hard on is Poirier. It's really no ones fault including the players, most guys are where they should be except ones from the previous regime. It's just a fact that we haven't had much success filling spots from the draft and that's what has affected our depth IMO. But being that it's a rebuild, it is what it is. This might take another few years.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The only one I'm really being hard on is Poirier. It's really no ones fault including the players, most guys are where they should be except ones from the previous regime. It's just a fact that we haven't had much success filling spots from the draft and that's what has affected our depth IMO. But being that it's a rebuild, it is what it is. This might take another few years.
Poirier was always going to be a bit of a project though, he like Klimchuk was a late round first, if his birthday was 3 weeks later he'd have spent another year in the Q and this conversation wouldn't be happening. The reason why we have no depth is the drafts before 2013. In 2012 the only forward we took in the top 5 rounds was a long term project (Janko). In 2011, there was Baertschi, Granlund and Gaudreau. One is a star and the other 2 have been dealt for a 2nd and a forward 2 years younger. 2010 saw us without a top 60 pick and the only guy around is Ferland who is just coming into his own this year.

I've asked this many times before, why does Ferland get so much rope compared to younger prospects from our fans? This is nothing against Ferland because I think all prospects need time, but why is it that guys drafted 3 years later are looked at as underachieving for not being where he is just reaching now?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Ferland got more rope because he has elite physical talents. Pretty simple. He stands out with his physicality, strength, speed, and occasional offensive outburst. Our other prospects Poirier, Shinkaruk, Klimchuk, Agostino never did anything to separate themselves from the pack when given the chance. Maybe that will change, they are young, but right now they look like NHL/AHL tweeners to me.

Everyone was hard on Ferland last year. I said it than and I'll say it again. The NHL is tough. And young players generally always struggle in their first full season. Ferland was no different but it was obvious the skillset was still there. he just needs to be a little more consistent like all young players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad