GDT: Nov 1st - Flames vs Red Wings - 7PM MT - SNET-W

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I honestly don't believe the Flames have been that bad defensively. Compared to the teams we've outshot, I think the Flames have looked amazing defensively, other than the odd, expected mistakes when we're riding two guys 30 minutes a night who aren't that calibre of player.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
The defense needs to be gutted, imo. Wideman and Giordano should be the only safe players. Brodie has been pretty bad this year.
But what purpose would that serve? Brodie will probably play his way out of his slump and Russell actually looks good. Then there's only our bottom pairing which will likely be replaced from within in less than two years anyway even if we don't make any moves. What we really need is to add an elite dynamic defenseman which would let everyone else play more within their comfort zones, improving our D corps across the board. Problem is that's a lot easier said than done.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The defense needs to be gutted, imo. Wideman and Giordano should be the only safe players. Brodie has been pretty bad this year.

Not disagreeing, but you don't sell a budding dependable defenseman like Brodie during a rebuild. He wouldn't be that bad if we had a real defense, a real power play, and real goaltending.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Rly wish we had Giordano lately.

Giordano won't help. We need a different power play model. Too many blood passes and then when we finally shoot, its right at the shot blocker or its wide!

What's the goal? Make the goalie dizzy, and then further confuse him by avoiding the net with shots?

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Giordano won't help. We need a different power play model. Too many blood passes and then when we finally shoot, its right at the shot blocker or its wide!

What's the goal? Make the goalie dizzy, and then further confuse him by avoiding the net with shots?

It'll eventually work?

We need alot of help all over. However, I and most other Flames fans have written the year off, so it's actually nice to enjoy some half decent whole hearted hockey which was few and far between in the last couple years.

OT: need that new jersey to show up on the nhl shop, rly need it for Dec 7 for the game in Edmonton

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The makeup of the defense is all wrong and it's glaringly obvious when the team's all around best defensemen in Giordano is out. Too many similar types of defensemen with a decisive lack of physical or defense elements to their games.

And it appears as though Brodie isn't ready to play 22 to 25 minutes a game. At least not without one or two defensive lapses that usually end up as goals against (partly thanks to weak goaltending). But that's another product of the lack of depth on defense.

And I don't know what Hartley has against putting Backlund in offensive situations like the powerplay, but it'd be nice if he actually tried to put him in a position to succeed. Ditto for Baertschi.

Le Messie

Jul 8, 2009
Looking for a goalie is totally going to fix your lack of depth.

I read on another Flames forum that a goalie like Ray Emery would be amazing here.
I lol'd.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Honestly, having watched the powerplays of the previous few seasons, I'm not that disappointed by this year's PP. Seems to generate a lot more zone time and chances.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
I think it is time for Reto Berra..or dare I even say Joni Ortio?
Berra is having growing pains in the AHL. He's been pretty inconsistent (being either blindingly terrible at the AHL level or lights out), but might be ready to compete for a spot next season. Ortio is too good for the ECHL, but doesn't seem to be getting starts by Ward...he's probably need to be in the AHL for another year or two at the least.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Honestly, having watched the powerplays of the previous few seasons, I'm not that disappointed by this year's PP. Seems to generate a lot more zone time and chances.

I like the entry. But everything after that is abysmal. There's no chances where a player can walk in. Hartley's power play actually encourages another team's PK because it's so parameter based that opposing team gets to box in quite nicely. We need to open side for a free man so that he can walk in and get a legit scoring chance.

Honestly, Baertschi is the best person at drawing defenders. And Backlund is really good away from the puck. They need to be on the power play. Glencross and Cammy stand around because their shooters, waiting for a pass. Then they realize there's no shot (because they just predictably stood there) so they pass it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I like the entry. But everything after that is abysmal. There's no chances where a player can walk in. Hartley's power play actually encourages another team's PK because it's so parameter based that opposing team gets to box in quite nicely. We need to open side for a free man so that he can walk in and get a legit scoring chance.

Honestly, Baertschi is the best person at drawing defenders. And Backlund is really good away from the puck. They need to be on the power play. Glencross and Cammy stand around because their shooters, waiting for a pass. Then they realize there's no shot (because they just predictably stood there) so they pass it.

Glencross does effective work in front of the net, for his part. Lots of deflection and point shot goals go in with him in front, even when he's **** in every other offensive manner.

But I agree with the fact that there are simply too many passes, but from what I can tell, a large part of that comes from bad passes. You can see that Wideman wants to load up a big slap shot, but every time he receives the pass, it's not put in a good spot for him to one time it, which lets the defending forward get in the lane, meaning he has to make another pass. Same goes for Russell. Same also goes for our forwards down low like Hudler who like to make quick one-touch passes to disorient the defence. If the pass to those guys isn't a good one, and it often isn't, they lose the advantage by needing to settle the puck and this allows the defence to adjust and close them down.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Agreed. I'd like to see them try Backlund on the wing.
The first Backlund thing in this thread I can agree with. Put him on the wing and slide Galiardi to the 4th line. Please and thanks.

I think it is time for Reto Berra..or dare I even say Joni Ortio?

Our goaltending is just not cutting it. Both netminders are below an .890 SV%.
Neither are ready and won't do any better.

Berra is having growing pains in the AHL. He's been pretty inconsistent (being either blindingly terrible at the AHL level or lights out), but might be ready to compete for a spot next season. Ortio is too good for the ECHL, but doesn't seem to be getting starts by Ward...he's probably need to be in the AHL for another year or two at the least.
While Berra has had his struggles your assessment of him being terrible or lights out is just plain malarkey. Berra much like Ramo has been a victim of being hung out to dry a whole lot. With the Heat I have never seen a team allow so many cross crease passes that the goaltender has no chance on.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
While Berra has had his struggles your assessment of him being terrible or lights out is just plain malarkey. Berra much like Ramo has been a victim of being hung out to dry a whole lot. With the Heat I have never seen a team allow so many cross crease passes that the goaltender has no chance on.

Fair enough. I exaggerate a bit, but I can't say it's all on him being left alone. Berra isn't faultless in the same way Ramo isn't for a few of those goals (ex - Toronto). I would say Ramo is a decent comparison for his progress: He has good games and bad and needs time to adjust to the NA game. The problem I guess being that when he's left to dry, he looks even worse.

EDIT - I do apologize. I get hyperbolic when angry and, being a goaltender, I'm a bit testy after watching the Flyers/Capitals line brawl.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Fair enough. I exaggerate a bit, but I can't say it's all on him being left alone. Berra isn't faultless in the same way Ramo isn't for a few of those goals (ex - Toronto). I would say Ramo is a decent comparison for his progress: He has good games and bad and needs time to adjust to the NA game. The problem I guess being that when he's left to dry, he looks even worse.

EDIT - I do apologize. I get hyperbolic when angry and, being a goaltender, I'm a bit testy after watching the Flyers/Capitals line brawl.
Oh I know neither are faultless, no goaltender is. But I think Berra and Ramo are having similar struggles, one is when the team decides to give up a scoring chance they go balls out and give up almost a sure goal :laugh:

the other is dealing with the traffic, this I think is the biggest problem for both. Getting used to bigger bodies in a smaller area, they are learning to try and look around guys rather than just being able to push them away for space like they did in the Euro leagues.

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
Looks like your prayers have been answered. McDonald on waivers, Reto Berra recalled from Abby (with Chad Billins as well).

@FriedgeHNIC: Apparently, CAL told Joey MacDonald he will be going on waivers today. Always been a fan of his, maybe some teams that need help will look.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really hope they are not rushing Yogi. He is having some of the same struggles as Ramo, but I am excited to see him in the flaming C irregardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad