Post-Game Talk: Nov. 13 2015 calgary them @ washington us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Disagree a little. They seemed to learn from Sharks game, went out and swept a Western Canada trip. But they get cocky and forget what got them there. Then they rationalize a loss like the ones to Pitt... 5 days off and New York... You can't win 'em all. A disturbing pattern to be sure.

I can agree with that.

caps8

Apr 9, 2007
This from the twitterz. No idea what it means but I imagine others here can translate.

Means the Caps dominated the game at even strength. Schmidt and Burakovsky had great games in particular. When Schmidt was on the ice against Giordano and Brodie he was +17 and +21, respectively, in shot attempts. Schmidt is really good.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Effort level is not contender material.

Ovechkin above all, floating, not sacrificing.

Bura regressing and their reliance on Wilson for offense of any kind is also hurting.

Uh-oh, doom and gloom is back. :shakehead
Also, no one relies on Wilson to generate offense, what are you talking about?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Uh-oh, doom and gloom is back. :shakehead
Also, no one relies on Wilson to generate offense, what are you talking about?

Wilson had a great game vs Philly and generated offense (2 assists), though no goals of his own. And Bura has been a dynamo the last 2 games.

:help:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Means the Caps dominated the game at even strength. Schmidt and Burakovsky had great games in particular. When Schmidt was on the ice against Giordano and Brodie he was +17 and +21, respectively, in shot attempts. Schmidt is really good.

Yup. It means the "effort" argument is either: 1. garbage (most likely), or 2. valid, but the Caps are good enough to dominate at ES while sleepwalking (not likely).

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Thanks.

Yup. It means the "effort" argument is either: 1. garbage (most likely), or 2. valid, but the Caps are good enough to dominate at ES while sleepwalking (not likely).

Or

3. A little of both. Their effort isn't zero though is not where it could be, but it's compensated for by talent. Then when they fall behind, the effort rises and together with the talent they are an amazing hockey club.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Or

3. A little of both. Their effort isn't zero though is not where it could be, but it's compensated for by talent. Then when they fall behind, the effort rises and together with the talent they are an amazing hockey club.

I think that's a result of unrealistic expectations. The Caps aren't going to dominate every minute of every game like many folks on here expect. Every team and in every sport goes through ebbs and flows during the course of a season.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think that's a result of unrealistic expectations. The Caps aren't going to dominate every minute of every game like many folks on here expect. Every team and in every sport goes through ebbs and flows during the course of a season.

Maybe, but slow starts are a clear issue for this team. That's not just ebb and flow, that's a consistent pattern. Expecting them to come out strong, at least for most games, is reasonable for a team with Cup aspirations.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Maybe, but slow starts are a clear issue for this team. That's not just ebb and flow, that's a consistent pattern. Expecting them to come out strong, at least for most games, is reasonable for a team with Cup aspirations.

I agree with that. If you haven't seen his quotes recently, Barry has now put the slow starts on the leaders in the locker room.

I just see the situation in a more positive light. They're not playing great or to their potential and yet they're still one of the top teams in the NHL. Not too bad.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005

I think a lot of these expectations come from fans who have never played the game for a minute of their lives. They expect perfect passing and dominant possesion but don't realize there is another team playing and the overall parity in the league.

They think the coaches don't try and emphasize good passing and possession. I can guarantee they do, the players executing on it in a game situation is a lot more difficult then they can imagine with the defensive systems and parity in the league.

If you grew up playing the game you would likely have more realistic expectations. No game is going to be tape to tape passes and perfection.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I agree with that. If you haven't seen his quotes recently, Barry has now put the slow starts on the leaders in the locker room.

I just see the situation in a more positive light. They're not playing great or to their potential and yet they're still one of the top teams in the NHL. Not too bad.

I have seen that and am glad for it.

And I also have a positive outlook. I prefer that they have room to improve while also playing well.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I have seen that and am glad for it.

And I also have a positive outlook. I prefer that they have room to improve while also playing well.

“We have a game plan every day, so it’s the room that has to fix it,” Capitals coach Barry Trotz told reporters on Saturday after cancelling practice. “I don’t think I have to fix it. We talk about coming out quick and getting on people, but it has to come from the room.

“I have not shot a puck or made a save or made a hit or anything. It really has to come from the room and that’s where you rely on leadership. I’m going to put that on the leadership to get the room going.”

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/hockey-washington-capitals/talk/long-break-gives-caps-chance-addess-issues

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think a lot of these expectations come from fans who have never played the game for a minute of their lives. They expect perfect passing and dominant possesion but don't realize there is another team playing and the overall parity in the league.

They think the coaches don't try and emphasize good passing and possession. I can guarantee they do, the players executing on it in a game situation is a lot more difficult then they can imagine with the defensive systems and parity in the league.

If you grew up playing the game you would likely have more realistic expectations. No game is going to be tape to tape passes and perfection.

Agree with this 100%.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I think there are PLENTY of fans around these boards who grew up playing hockey and STILL have unreasonable expectations. Go visit any Canadian team's boards for literally 1000's of examples from people that probably have lived and breathed hockey from birth and have unreasonable expectations.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
They need to start the games much better than they've started recently. They have given up the first goal in 7 (i think?) consecutive games, and that's a recipe for disaster once the playoffs start. I guess the silver lining is that it's still early and they have lots of times to fix that.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think there are PLENTY of fans around these boards who grew up playing hockey and STILL have unreasonable expectations. Go visit any Canadian team's boards for literally 1000's of examples from people that probably have lived and breathed hockey from birth and have unreasonable expectations.

I grew up playing hockey and I have unreasonable expectations for this team all the time. I give crap to players on the team when they fan on a shot or when they put a pass in the skates of someone.

However, it's only in the heat of the game, when my mind is blinded by the emotions such as stress or excitement.

Every hockey player has quit on a play, missed a golden opportunity or taken a bad penalty several times in his career. It happens, hockey is a game in which each team forces the other to make mistakes. The team that wins is the one that takes the most advantage of the other team's mistakes to capitalize.

Even dynasty teams like the Blackhawks don't run smoothly all the time and have bad games against bottom teams.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005

Yes that is true to a degree. I lived in a small Northern Ontario town and everyone played and breathed hockey and I have lived in a bigger city where the majority don't.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Is it not also true that the Caps are at or near the league lead in 3rd period goals? their game gets better as the game goes along. Isn't that the style of game that Trotz preaches?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Is it not also true that the Caps are at or near the league lead in 3rd period goals? their game gets better as the game goes along. Isn't that the style of game that Trotz preaches?

I don't know about the ranking, but take your word for it. But while I'm sure Trotz preaches strong third periods, he's made clear that the team is not executing early the way he wants them to. So I guess, yes and no.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here. Are you suggesting that giving up the first goal seven games in a row is no big deal because the coach is more focused on the 3rd period? What coach doesn't "preach" having a good 3rd period, especially if you're playing from behind?

Trotz wants a full 60 minutes and I'm pretty sure I've heard/read he and some players all talking about the value of starting off strong and/or getting the first goal. No team wants to get behind early, nevermind 7 games in a row. That means something is wrong out of the gate. Trotz throwing the players/leaders under the bus in Oatesian fashion now is another tick mark in that column.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here. Are you suggesting that giving up the first goal seven games in a row is no big deal because the coach is more focused on the 3rd period? What coach doesn't "preach" having a good 3rd period, especially if you're playing from behind?

Trotz wants a full 60 minutes and I'm pretty sure I've heard/read he and some players all talking about the value of starting off strong and/or getting the first goal. No team wants to get behind early, nevermind 7 games in a row. That means something is wrong out of the gate. Trotz throwing the players/leaders under the bus in Oatesian fashion now is another tick mark in that column.

FWIW, when I watched that presser, I didn't think he was throwing anyone under the bus. To me it sounded like him saying something I believe is true, his job is to give them a plan and the information but he can't get out on the ice and do the work. He said they've got the info, and you can see in these late rallies that they have heard the message, so it's up to them to put it into action. Williams said the same thing, essentially.

The difference between that quote from Trotz vs Oates, was that there was no info and no plan under Oates. When Trotz says he's communicated a plan to his team, I believe him.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I love that Trotz trolled the NHL by challenging that OT goal :laugh: There is no way he thought for a second it wasn't a goal. Besides, the coach's challenge doesn't apply to whether the puck actually crossed the line or not (only officials can go to replay on that basis).

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I love that Trotz trolled the NHL by challenging that OT goal :laugh: There is no way he thought for a second it wasn't a goal. Besides, the coach's challenge doesn't apply to whether the puck actually crossed the line or not (only officials can go to replay on that basis).

It was funny, but I thought he challenged it for offsides... no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad