Post-Game Talk: Nov. 13 2015 calgary them @ washington us

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
If that quote came from Adam Oates we would be losing our minds.

Except I can totally see Adam Oates pulling a Jeff George and saying "leadership is overrated".

Trotz is calling out the players because he has, IMO, tried everything he can to get them off to a fast start.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Except I can totally see Adam Oates pulling a Jeff George and saying "leadership is overrated".

Trotz is calling out the players because he has, IMO, tried everything he can to get them off to a fast start.

Are you implying that they aren't off to a fast start?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Are you implying that they aren't off to a fast start?

No, I don't mean that they aren't playing well. But they only seem to start really playing after the other team scores. When was the last time we scored first? Like 4-5 games ago?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
No, I don't mean that they aren't playing well. But they only seem to start really playing after the other team scores. When was the last time we scored first? Like 4-5 games ago?
Eight games. Last time they scored first was 10/30 vs CBJ. It seems like a natural result of the preached mindset of discipline and patience. They don't want to rush into mistakes so they typically wade into games. It's nothing new. It's troubling when facing teams with superior possession and overall structure but maybe improving there should be the priority instead of just focusing on starts alone.

Hockey Reference also has them with the easiest schedule thus far:

Last edited:

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Maybe this roster is better suited for a more attacking style, which they play in the third when down a goal. They seem to do really well when they forecheck more aggressively and pinch with the D a bit. And they have reduced the odd man breaks against that were so common in the BB and Oates eras, so they aren't getting scored on as much even when they are a little more aggressive.

I say let 'em loose a bit from the start of the game and see how they do.

Is Orpik back? If he's still out we're looking at a faster top 4 anyway, that's theoretically more able to sprint back on coverage.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Is it not also true that the Caps are at or near the league lead in 3rd period goals? their game gets better as the game goes along. Isn't that the style of game that Trotz preaches?

A team for years notorious for showing up late and trying to steal a win? I think that's a core value with this group lol....

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here. Are you suggesting that giving up the first goal seven games in a row is no big deal because the coach is more focused on the 3rd period? What coach doesn't "preach" having a good 3rd period, especially if you're playing from behind?

Trotz wants a full 60 minutes and I'm pretty sure I've heard/read he and some players all talking about the value of starting off strong and/or getting the first goal. No team wants to get behind early, nevermind 7 games in a row. That means something is wrong out of the gate. Trotz throwing the players/leaders under the bus in Oatesian fashion now is another tick mark in that column.

More bus throwing talk? Are you of the opinion that the players should never be spoken of or something? Maybe I have a thick skin, but him saying the slow starts are on the leadership group is refreshing to me. It's been an issue with this team for many years.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
More bus throwing talk? Are you of the opinion that the players should never be spoken of or something? Maybe I have a thick skin, but him saying the slow starts are on the leadership group is refreshing to me. It's been an issue with this team for many years.

Phrase it in your mind however you like when you read it as that's not the point, which is that the coach is not happy with these starts and it's not part of some plan.

edit: but for fun, to answer your question... I don't think this is an appropriate situation to be calling out the players. There are times and places for lighting fires, and this early in the season with shifting lines and a decent record....no...the coach should not be saying those things in public. Keep it private for now. This is the time to build chemistry and get full buy-in (especially for new guys), not call out your veterans. Maybe stick with some consistent lines instead of shuffling the deck as soon as the scoring dries up, per your own system, coach Trotz? I think he's mad at some guys for freelancing in a few games, tbh.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Regarding the SoS, it's worth noting that the Capitals represent ~5-10% of the games played for their opponents at this stage. It's awfully early to be using any sort of SoS stat, as a good team can do a lot of driving of their opponent's quality downwards with such a small sample size.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Calgary is the only team they've played twice. The rest are much closer to 5% than 10%.

It doesn't include back-to-backs or layoffs in scheduling but to consider layoffs a significant hindrance is a stretch. It might be for them but, much like a lot of their issues, it need not be that way.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Phrase it in your mind however you like when you read it as that's not the point, which is that the coach is not happy with these starts and it's not part of some plan.

edit: but for fun, to answer your question... I don't think this is an appropriate situation to be calling out the players. There are times and places for lighting fires, and this early in the season with shifting lines and a decent record....no...the coach should not be saying those things in public. Keep it private for now. This is the time to build chemistry and get full buy-in (especially for new guys), not call out your veterans. Maybe stick with some consistent lines instead of shuffling the deck as soon as the scoring dries up, per your own system, coach Trotz? I think he's mad at some guys for freelancing in a few games, tbh.

The idea that it's part of the game plan is silly. Now, Seriously what hockey coach doesn't shuffle lines all the time? What if this issue is repetitive beyond this season? What if Trotz is moving onto a more transparent response because keeping it private has shown no results in his opinion? it's a long season. many different motivational tactics will be used. "Oatsian fashion..." really? Lol....

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The idea that it's part of the game plan is silly. Now, Seriously what hockey coach doesn't shuffle lines all the time? What if this issue is repetitive beyond this season? What if Trotz is moving onto a more transparent response because keeping it private has shown no results in his opinion? it's a long season. many different motivational tactics will be used. "Oatsian fashion..." really? Lol....

Yes, it is a long season. And like I said, it seems too early for this tactic.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Coach creates team identity slogan preaching patience and discipline. Coach then decries lack of urgency until game situations dictate it. Ironic. It's not the first time Trotz has told them to figure it out and it won't be the last.

Damn if I know what to think about this team. Their possession stats are mostly excellent but they routinely fail the eye test when it comes to just skating (to say nothing of passing). Trotz seems to have installed a system where they can go through the motions and be successful. But it always eventually comes down to making plays. Not being able to up their engagement level and ability to make plays may be a significant coaching problem. They need to be able to win without playing quite so close to the vest and I wonder if that's just not at all who Trotz is as a coach.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Coach creates team identity slogan preaching patience and discipline. Coach then decries lack of urgency until game situations dictate it. Ironic. It's not the first time Trotz has told them to figure it out and it won't be the last.

Damn if I know what to think about this team. Their possession stats are mostly excellent but they routinely fail the eye test when it comes to just skating (to say nothing of passing). Trotz seems to have installed a system where they can go through the motions and be successful. But it always eventually comes down to making plays. Not being able to up their engagement level and ability to make plays may be a significant coaching problem. They need to be able to win without playing quite so close to the vest and I wonder if that's just not at all who Trotz is as a coach.

Urgency isn't what he's asking for. He's exactly asking for discipline, that they come out ready to play their game according to the plan he and his staff gave them and not run around like idiots reacting to the other team for the first ten minutes. I don't see any irony or contradiction.

But discipline doesn't mean conservative Torts hockey. It means clean, crisp, quick breakouts that feed the transition where their skill will allow them to make plays or that allow them to create forecheck where their depth and size will allow them to make plays.

None of this feels like coaching issues to me. I think he's right on with what he said, and the players have said it too, which is why I have no problem with him airing it publicly.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad