Post-Game Talk: Nov. 11, 2016: Flyers 3 at Maple Leafs 6

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
TBH, he wasn't that fast last year, and I'm not really sure he was ever a true burner in terms of straight line speed. Quickness and agility have always been more notable skills, and they often get mistaken for speed.
Good point. There are players like Ghost, who are extremely agile and there are players like Larkin, who are super fast.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Goaltending is a ridiculously fickle, unpredictable position. Goalies can go hot and cold at a moment's notice. They're sort of like field goal kickers. That's why tying up goaltenders in long-term, high cap hit contracts is generally a poor investment, and also why drafting goalies in the first round is a bad idea.

Right now, the Flyers have two goalies who are in stone cold slumps at the same time, just as they both were hot for much of last season.

A shakeup might not be a bad idea. I wonder if you could trade Mason to Arizona for Martin Hanzal, and call up Stolarz?

I know all of that.

This isn't just a hot and cold streak. This is one starting goalie whose had years of stability with borderline elite highs and average lows as well as a career backup coming off a stellar season, simultaneously being pretty ****ing bad for the first fifth of the season. It's beyond a low at this point.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Hakstol is not a competent NHL coach. Ghost heroics and absurd goaltending made him look better than he was last season. He's not even capable of dressing his best possible lineup which is the bare miminum. This team lives and dies on the skill of their top 6. There is no semblance of unity.

So all the positive things the team does is despite him and all the negative things are because of him?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I don't think I'd say that. Hextalls proven to be far more patient than most of the fans are, he might not make a move and still believe the goaltending can bounce back eventually. I don't know how I feel about it, all I know is they've been horrible so far and if they don't snap out of it soon it'll be too late no matter how they play down the stretch. It's too bad they're wasting all this goal scoring.

I feel the need to clarify my post. By "move", I included demotion / waiving / healthy scratch, and I know the latter is a coach decision. This wider definition didn't come out in my wording and I blame the fact that I was typing with my forehead to make the pain of the 3rd period go away.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
I didn't get to watch the game, but from the highlights it looked like that second goal against was offsides. Did anyone else catch that?

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Looked like koivu carried the puck in and the other guy was still in the zone. Looked like a tough call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad