Not that it matters.. but Justin Schultz..

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Schultz was defensive player of the year for two straight years in college.

You're still ignoring my point. I understand Schultz is a good player. The NCAA isn't the NHL.

You can think whatever you want. Writing off Smith after a couple dozen games is just as ludicrous as calling Schultz proven in the same small span. You can't argue that he isn't benefiting from his system and icetime, something that Smith may be able to replicate in the same situation.

Steve Mason was a generational talent after his Calder win too, right? That's all I'm gonna say on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
You're still ignoring my point. I understand Schultz is a good player. The NCAA isn't the NHL.

You can think whatever you want. Writing off Smith after a couple dozen games is just as ludicrous as calling Schultz proven in the same small span. You can't argue that he isn't benefiting from his system and icetime, something that Smith may be able to replicate in the same situation.

Steve Mason was a generational talent after his Calder win too, right? That's all I'm gonna say on this.

Hmm, I must have missed Brendan Smith making the AHL all rookie team and leading the AHL in scoring as a rookie. Oh and Smith leading all NHL rookie d-men in scoring. Oh that's right, those things never happened. Ever. This is obviously not worth my time.

But hey, just for fun here is a good overview of guys who have made the All Rookie AHL team over the past 15 years:

Previous selections to the annual AHL All-Rookie Team include J.S. Giguere (1998), Zdeno Chara (1998), Brendan Morrison (1998), Marc Savard (1998), Daniel Briere (1998), J.P. Dumont (1999), Dan Boyle (1999), Cory Sarich (1999), Michael Leighton (2002), Barret Jackman (2002), Ron Hainsey (2002), Jason Spezza (2003), Brad Boyes (2003), Cam Ward (2005), Chris Campoli (2005), Thomas Vanek (2005), Rene Bourque (2005), Kevin Bieksa (2005), Jimmy Howard (2006), Dan Girardi (2006), Mike Green (2006), Ryan Shannon (2006), Jaroslav Halak (2007), Troy Brouwer (2007), Ryan Callahan (2007), Bobby Ryan (2008), Teddy Purcell (2008), Brian Boyle (2008), Alex Goligoski (2008), Nathan Gerbe (2009), Justin Abdelkader (2009), John Carlson (2010), P.K. Subban (2010), Logan Couture (2010), Lars Eller (2010), Tyler Ennis (2010), Erik Gustafsson (2011), Luke Adam (2011) and Zac Dalpe (2011).

Keep digging Kuick, keep digging! :laugh:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think it is fair and relevant to point out that Jake Gardiner and Tyler Myers are also guys who had Calder-caliber rookie seasons and put up gaudy offensive numbers. Both guys were also healthy scratches this season and struggled to even secure a roster spot in their respective top sixes.

Let's just remember it is a marathon and not a sprint. I'm confident Smith is going to be a good player in time. Let's not overreact to a small sample size for either guy at this point.

CloneHakanPlease*

For all those ragging on our young guys I suggest you look up Brad Marchands first season in the NHL. 20 games: 1 assist.

The next season? 20+ goals and one of their best players in the cup run en route to becoming a 30 goal man.

I don't think Smith has been good this season, but he at least has the tools. In two-three years I think he will be a solid #2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad