Not really off to the best start, are we?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Perhaps I'm being overly pessimistic, but I can't shake the feeling that things are off to a terrible start this year.

Cole is unhappy, allegedly considering retirement...I worry about him mailing in the season.

One of our top prospects in Leblanc is apparently being bullied and tormented to the point of having a fractured psyche in Hamilton.

One of the main pieces of our core hasn't signed yet and there are all kinds of rumours of him being disliked by the team (which I don't fully buy, but I don't like to hear about it).

Gomez being sent home...Yes most fans are happy about it, but Gomez was very well liked in the room and had a lot of friends. I'm sure most realize that it's business but I'm betting they aren't thrilled with how it went down.

Honestly, things look to be headed south. For the best I guess, I mean at this point I prefer if they tank and get a Seth Jones or a Drouin/McKinnon, but the "fan" in me hates to see the team lose.

In some ways I feel we are seeing the beginning of the end of this current "era" of the Habs. The era of Gionta-Gomez-Plekanec-Markov... The new era will soon begin centred around Price, Pacioretty, Subban and (hopefully) Galchenyuk.

Regardless of how you feel about individual players, it makes me sad to see the cracks beginning to form in the foundation of this team. It will all be for the best, I'm sure, but I hate seeing it anyways.

And honestly...It'll probably get pretty ugly over the next 2 years.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So be it, 'cause in the end, players make the team. Players make the coach better. And Timmins will draft those players. In due time, whether we recognize who is good in our development guys and who isn't. And pray that the guys we picked end up the way they are suppose to be. Added to the guys we already have, 2 years of misery could end up to be 10 years of success story.

But it's all speculation at this point. It is way too dramatic for my liking as of now. To be professionnal we need to act like professionnals. And this organization still is fragile. Till the new staff put their total imprint on it, we will see something like that over a few years like you said.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Not sure I agree with this right here. The only thing the habs need to really improve is their winger depth (I'm saying this with respect to having a stable team again in the short term, there is still a lot of work to be done), whether it is through the draft, via trade or UFA. I like and am comfortable with the depth on defense in the prospect pool (Tinordi, Ellis, Beaulieu Pateryn...though Patty is more of a long shot than the former 3). Our current D has okay d-men but they don't mesh well as a unit because they're all the same.

I'm also comfortable with the centre depth with Desharnais, Plekanec, Eller and especially if Galchenyuk develops the way we expect.

This year our team is crap on paper and will probably be crap. There's a lot of work to do, but I don't think the next two years will be hell. Like I said, the winger depth is abysmal. We have Pacioretty, that's it. The rest are older declining vets: Gionta, Cole, Bourque. Maybe a Kristo surprises us next year? Even so, a lot of work is needed on the wings.

Last edited:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
NO EXCUSES!

:biglaugh:

This season will be a wash. Breezer even hinted it last summer as he was getting hired. Let some contracts expire as he said and let the tank run while we wait, at this point I don't really care.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
This is a transition year anyways. We have a good young core that will be fun to watch, but like last year, half of our players are spare parts.

But we'll probably draft top-5 and get a great player.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Cole's comments = posturing = non issue

Subban will re-sign long term

Gomez's release = positive

Leblanc = non factor, wasn't going to be a game changer. Don't think he's a top 6 anyways. It is what it is - nothing in anyones control

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Sometimes you have to eat some **** before you get to the peanut butter only to realize it's not all that different. Quote from an old coach of mine.

And it means we're PROBABLY eating a toast with **** spread on it this year, but if only a couple variables would move, we would be in the playoffs. A hockey team is a very instable thing, the slightest things can move it one way or another.

I never quite made it out of the pot of ****, gotta say. Those peanut butter jars were too good for me :-p

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It is never boring being a Habs fan, our crap pile always seems much bigger than everyone elses. Our storied franchise has been left in the hands of clowns since our last cup, so lets hope Molson and Bergevin and company can turn it around. If we have to suffer for a year or two it's probably all for the best. GO HABS GO!

pine*

Now there's hell to pay
Oh yeah

Engaged in a war
Xzibit can't help me mo
Clinging on to life
Up into my hideout
Suffocating, no one hears my calls
Engaged in a war
Suffocating, no one hears my cries

Signed,
Scott Gomez

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
33329536.jpg

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Perhaps I'm being overly pessimistic, but I can't shake the feeling that things are off to a terrible start this year.

Cole is unhappy, allegedly considering retirement...I worry about him mailing in the season.

One of our top prospects in Leblanc is apparently being bullied and tormented to the point of having a fractured psyche in Hamilton.

One of the main pieces of our core hasn't signed yet and there are all kinds of rumours of him being disliked by the team (which I don't fully buy, but I don't like to hear about it).

Gomez being sent home...Yes most fans are happy about it, but Gomez was very well liked in the room and had a lot of friends. I'm sure most realize that it's business but I'm betting they aren't thrilled with how it went down.

Honestly, things look to be headed south. For the best I guess, I mean at this point I prefer if they tank and get a Seth Jones or a Drouin/McKinnon, but the "fan" in me hates to see the team lose.

In some ways I feel we are seeing the beginning of the end of this current "era" of the Habs. The era of Gionta-Gomez-Plekanec-Markov... The new era will soon begin centred around Price, Pacioretty, Subban and (hopefully) Galchenyuk.

Regardless of how you feel about individual players, it makes me sad to see the cracks beginning to form in the foundation of this team. It will all be for the best, I'm sure, but I hate seeing it anyways.

This is of course all correct if you believe every single thing you read, which I don't and nobody EVER should

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad