Post-Game Talk: Not good enough Bruins win 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
We are going through a rough patch. Lost our mojo so to speak. Sure, we lost to Boston but any team is a tough cookie for us right now. Not that our effort is poor or anything.

The slump is at least partly attributable to Gardiner-Zaitsev syndrome on the second pairing. i.e. persistent horrible giveaways under modest pressure.

The solution it would seem is a substantial reduction in ice time for that pairing or possible benching leading to a trade.

Rasmus Sandin> Gardiner right now.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Still has a negative CF% and goal differential for 5 on 5 this year.

Meanwhile Nylander has the best CF% on the team but lowest PDO.

CF doesn't mean a whole lot in its own. Doesn't Zaitsev have the highest D-zone starts on the team?

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
The problem has not been the effort of virtually all the players. There are a few who are who they i.e. Brown, Hyman, the fourth line, etc. Then there are those who are trying but have not had much puck luck i.e. Kadri. Then there are the young, skilled, and inexperienced who will get better as the season progresses i.e. Johnsson, Kapanen, Dermott. There are the older players who have lost a step i.e. Marleau, Hainsey. There are those who do many good things but suffer temporary moments of stupidity i.e. Gardiner, Zaitsev. Then there are our core i.e. Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Reilly, Anderssen. Then there are those who are trying but it looks like they're not engaged i.e. Matthews, Nylander, Kadri. All these players are trying, but it's the results, the chemistry, the little things that are killing us. No doubt we need some tweaks to put us over the hump, but we will get there. GLG

Oh, and Matthews has to get his head out of his arse and start playing like a player who deserves $12.5 million. Surely Babcock is making him aware of his shortcomings at this time (loved that chat at the bench during last night's game.)

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
The slump is at least partly attributable to Gardiner-Zaitsev syndrome on the second pairing. i.e. persistent horrible giveaways under modest pressure.

The solution it would seem is a substantial reduction in ice time for that pairing or possible benching leading to a trade.

Rasmus Sandin> Gardiner right now.
Benching leading to a trade! Let's hope the other GM is a big booze hound
We just ran into Sparks, I mean Rask, Think about that but do not knit your brow
I'd take Dubas's brains, pound for pound, more than trading excessive Euro skill for penalty box sitting good Canadian pound and pound
We just need to suck it up and accept that we have a super high skill team and suffer with that, and endure the math based Leafs management know-how!

Reactions: CelticDruid

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Let’s be honest. Since the return of Willy/loss of Leivo (while we also have been without Moore), we have been subpar.

Without Andy, we are first round fodder. With him we are ECF possibles.

We still might get bounced in the first. Our coach is a dinosaur who can’t make in game adjustments due to stubborness. The stubborness dominates our single dimensional breakouts as well.

Too much apologist actions for the team right now. Also too much bitching. Eventually Mike will change it up

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Avs may up their game; they have lost 2 in a row if am not mistaken. But then Mack is pissed at his coach and Rantanen seemed to have cooled down so may be this helps the buds tomorrow....

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Let’s be honest. Since the return of Willy/loss of Leivo (while we also have been without Moore), we have been subpar.

Without Andy, we are first round fodder. With him we are ECF possibles.

We still might get bounced in the first. Our coach is a dinosaur who can’t make in game adjustments due to stubborness. The stubborness dominates our single dimensional breakouts as well.

Too much apologist actions for the team right now. Also too much *****ing. Eventually Mike will change it up

actually we 've been dominant since Willy returned, but the goaltending has been bad, Freddy included, and the PP has been useless, too.

54.1cf% (#4)
54.1xgf% (#5)
3.47goals/gm (#5)

29.13shotsagainst/gm (#8)
.896sv% (#22)

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
No not that... I was thinking more along the lines of "Matthews doesn't care," "Trade Gardiner and Zaitzev for 5th rounds picks,"fire Dubas and Babcock," etc. Takes with this kind of overly negative sentiment.

Yes, those takes are a bit out there. Especially “Matthews doesn’t care”

Reactions: robertmac43

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
These losses don’t hurt as much because I expect to lose when we play Boston. I’d still love to play them in the 1st round b/c if we somehow do beat them, I think that could give this group a huge confidence boost, and start a run to the cup by finally getting over the Boston hurdle.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Yes, those takes are a bit out there. Especially “Matthews doesn’t care”
Many player that struggles cares to much and gets mentaly blocked. But not Nylander he lookes like spoiled kid, because he has a father with the same last name :sarcasm:

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
We absolutely do have the horses to win these games. You can’t tell me that one line Boston does and we don’t...

I want to believe that more than anything... but the results this season so far say we don't and unless these guys change how they play (which they certainly could) we're going to get the same result in the playoffs. I am not saying we didn't play well, but we are missing some desperation and vileness (read killer instinct) that playoff winners have. So until I see it, I absolutely do not believe we have those horses.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
The thread is called "Not good enough"

mean while, the Leafs really played well and outshot the Bruins and really dominated shifts. Bruins barley won a game where out 4th string goalie was in net and Rask was starting on the other side.

Matthews played well. His line was effective. Nylander was flying in this game, really created a lot.

Reactions: AreBe

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
losing is annoying to the Bruins but it doesn't mean much. Leafs swept Boston in the season series during the regular season before but it didn't mean anything come playoff time. SO really this is just 1 game of 82. Leafs needed the win more because of the standings than because its Boston.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Thought they played well and deserved to win.

No fault in losing that one, it happens.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The Leafs have outplayed the Bruins in 2 0f the 4 games this season, and deserved better luck in the first half of another game prior to it being turned upside down in the favor of the Bruins. The Leafs could have easily won 3 of the 4 games instead of the other way around.

Is Boston a good team, yes they are. But I do not fear them this season as I did last. I believe we are better equipped this season to beat them then ever. Come playoffs it will be a different scenario then last. Bank on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad