Post-Game Talk: Not good enough Bruins win 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Leafs haven't been playing well for a few weeks, I wouldn't put too much into this. I always find when you have a player hold out for contract for an extended period of time it always leads to poor chemistry once they return. Leafs need to start playing their best hockey come march and april, right now is just for show.

I know what Dubas said but I don't see how you can keep Nylander and all the rest and fill out the back end. I hope Willy starts to play better and they move him.

Feb 24, 2004
Soft teams don't draw penalties :ha:

Lots of good comments here tonight.

I think we are probably the best of the pretenders. We need changes to this roster in order to truly compete. That being said, Andersen is our equalizer. With him I guess we have a chance as small as it is.

I loved the effort tonight, but we just don't have the horses to win a lot of these tough, tight games. We'll win some yea, but I don't think we can win enough.

Anyway, it sucks but I can't wait for the next game! GO LEAFS!

We absolutely do have the horses to win these games. You can’t tell me that one line Boston does and we don’t...

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada

Meet the new lines, exact f***ing same as the old lines. Oh but we changed the goalie....cos yeah goaltending was the problem the past week.

They played well except in the dzone. I think it is trust issues. They need to be kept together to work this out

They're playing short-handed in the d-zone. Marleau keeps jumping the zone way too early. Seriously look at where he was on the ice on that 2nd or 3rd goal, it was embarrassing. It's basically Nylander + Kadri and often on the ice with 22/51/12 (three of the worse players on the roster right now).

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Leafs haven't been playing well for a few weeks, I wouldn't put too much into this. I always find when you have a player hold out for contract for an extended period of time it always leads to poor chemistry once they return. Leafs need to start playing their best hockey come march and april, right now is just for show.

I know what Dubas said but I don't see how you can keep Nylander and all the rest and fill out the back end. I hope Willy starts to play better and they move him.
Last night was the epitome of frustration: a “statement game” according to Matthews, and what? 2 shots half way through the third period? Hard to fathom.

Time for a “reality check” otherwise my heart won’t survive the rest of the season:

1-Biggest frustration is how we Leaf fans started the season: we were informed that Vegas had us as Stanley Cup favourites (or was it TSN?). Then that explosion of goals to start the year, the unstoppable power play, the Taveres signing (there are few moments in my life that I remember where I was and what I was doing, that was one of them!). What a mountain to fall off of!

2-We are a very good talented team, but we have “warts”. We are still developing, needing time. Our stars are “boys amongst men”-exception Taveres. Patience! Still the best and most exciting 5 year forecast out of 31, soon to be 32, teams.

3-Can we really criticize Matthews and Nylander( of late)? Is it just me or does it seem there is no room to move out there? Like opponents 5 players are lined up in front of the net? What would we have the two of them do, when there isn’t one foot to shoot? Maybe we need a mean type (like Simmonds) in front of the net to give those two guys some room.

4-I have to believe that teams have adjusted to us, how can so many of our talented forwards be so unproductive? Or is it simply a lack of finish,?of “puck luck”? The story is getting familiar; we control possession, we deserve to win, so many missed chances , deflated going into the third, other teams goalie better, same result! Look at Columbus, always outshoot, but no finish (true!). Is the above our mid season identity?

5-I don’t expect our Leafs to participate in the short term rental game. They never have other than a peripheral tweak like a Boyle. They believe in develop within,?in having a stacked system underneath ( and I agree).

So, going ahead, I expect us to have to “claw” our victories, no more inflated Vegas source expectation. There is a lot of parity, Boston is a very good, well coached team. Minnesota was “built” to be our anthisis (defensive stifling blanket of a team). The Islanders couldn’t have had more motivation! And so on.

I will cheer every moment, but it’s a battle now for every inch. I can only hope that our management with their pedigree makes a few changes along the way.

Reactions: canadon

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Meet the new lines, exact ****ing same as the old lines. Oh but we changed the goalie....cos yeah goaltending was the problem the past week.

They're playing short-handed in the d-zone. Marleau keeps jumping the zone way too early. Seriously look at where he was on the ice on that 2nd or 3rd goal, it was embarrassing. It's basically Nylander + Kadri and often on the ice with 22/51/12 (three of the worse players on the roster right now).
It's called a quarantine :nod:

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
You guys have Stanley Cup caliber forwards and starting goalie. From the outside the obvious “wart” of your team is poor defense outside of Rielly (#1) and Dermott (#5). Even Oshiganov (sorry if spelled wrong) seems fine. Gardiner and Zaitsev are not a second pairing on a team with Cup aspirations. I think you are 1 top pairing and 1 2nd pairing Dman away from being up in the same tier as Tampa, Nashville etc. It is hard to get those players but you seems to have an abundance of young forwards that could make it happen. Trading Nylander (once he regains his value) and one of Kaspanen or Johnsson would be a good start to getting one or 2 of those needed guys. Once your D is better, it would allow the forwards to flourish more and not always be afraid of having to overcommit on D.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You guys have Stanley Cup caliber forwards and starting goalie. From the outside the obvious “wart” of your team is poor defense outside of Rielly (#1) and Dermott (#5). Even Oshiganov (sorry if spelled wrong) seems fine. Gardiner and Zaitsev are not a second pairing on a team with Cup aspirations. I think you are 1 top pairing and 1 2nd pairing Dman away from being up in the same tier as Tampa, Nashville etc. It is hard to get those players but you seems to have an abundance of young forwards that could make it happen. Trading Nylander (once he regains his value) and one of Kaspanen or Johnsson would be a good start to getting one or 2 of those needed guys. Once your D is better, it would allow the forwards to flourish more and not always be afraid of having to overcommit on D.

Dermott is overrated, he’s good but he’s not any better than Gardiner and makes a lot of turnovers as well

Reactions: socko and SAMCRO44

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
You can tear apart "moral victories", particularly when it comes to Boston, but for the most part I loved our game.

That was the "heaviest" we've played, our jam was fantastic. The Kadri line was buzzing all night, down low winning battles, great compete. AJ with eye popping tenacity, that was his best game of the season for me, that's playoff hockey. The Tavares line played well. Hutch was fine, he held firm at the beginning when we were a mess and actually made some good saves, last goal a slight odour. Dermott was fantastic, so smart in tight quarters, again playofff hockey.

We failed because we lost a man here and there and we missed scoring opportunities. Gards and Zaitsev were a nightmare, that's fair criticism. Apart from that, the way we played actually excited me, and showed we can play a tougher style. We lost the battle, but I feel better about the war.

Back to the sky is falling....

Reactions: The Cobra

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
You can tear apart "moral victories", particularly when it comes to Boston, but for the most part I loved our game.

That was the "heaviest" we've played, our jam was fantastic. The Kadri line was buzzing all night, down low winning battles, great compete. AJ with eye popping tenacity, that was his best game of the season for me, that's playoff hockey. The Tavares line played well. Hutch was fine, he held firm at the beginning when we were a mess and actually made some good saves, last goal a slight odour. Dermott was fantastic, so smart in tight quarters, again playofff hockey.

We failed because we lost a man here and there and we missed scoring opportunities. Gards and Zaitsev were a nightmare, that's fair criticism. Apart from that, the way we played actually excited me, and showed we can play a tougher style. We lost the battle, but I feel better about the war.

Back to the sky is falling....

Best post I’ve read here all season

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. Great game last night. I feel lucky to have the energy to make it downtown and back. The rink was hopeful and our young Leafs played well. I feel like we win that game 7 times out of 10 with Freddy in net so I was encouraged Hutch is not an NHL calibre goaltender but he gave it his all. I know everyone is really down on Willy and Kadri but in my books they were our best last night. Where was Matty and Marner????? OK our 2 superstars had ok nights i get it but that was Boston and they both better be much much better if they want those huge contracts. I was thinking about what we could do to take our odds from 7 out of 10 to 9 out of 10 and I keep coming back to Gards and Z. When those 2 guys get pressured on the forecheck they quite simply both make very bad puck decisions. I will tell Shanny this when I see him next but since we are likely to play Boston in round 1 then we better get something for Gards in a trade. In my opinion while it may hurt the offense a little down the stretch it will be better to trade him plus something and get back a heavy fast RHD UFA who can log big minutes in playoffs with rielly against Bruins. Gards can't do it against Bruins I have seen enough. He will screw things up again if given the chance. I would much rather go OZ and Dermott against Bruins on 2nd pair. Give Rielly pair 30 minutes a night and Dermott pair 20 minutes a night and 3rd pair gets 10 minutes with Hainsey and someone (i would like to see McQuaid there in that role). Gotta stay positive here folks. We can still do it. These are minor tweaks that Dubie can get done. And we can and will beat boston in round 1. I don't have a lot of time left but i want to see another Cup here. I think Shanny will see things my way.

Reactions: stuart5035

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
What "terrible takes" are you referring to? Saying that the Bruins would beat this current Leafs team in a 7 game playoff series?

No not that... I was thinking more along the lines of "Matthews doesn't care," "Trade Gardiner and Zaitzev for 5th rounds picks,"fire Dubas and Babcock," etc. Takes with this kind of overly negative sentiment.

Reactions: mikeyz

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The only one who can get Nylander back on track is Nylander. We have nothing to do with it.

Completely true. I was more eluding to the perpetuation of the Nylander is garbage and is never getting back on track sentiment. So many people have just turned their backs on him and decided he is no longer worthy of being a Leaf.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Completely true. I was more eluding to the perpetuation of the Nylander is garbage and is never getting back on track sentiment. So many people have just turned their backs on him and decided he is no longer worthy of being a Leaf.

It starts when someone starts saying Leafs can’t keep all three... it only made matters worse when JT is signed then the holdout and then the contract....
Pretty sure once he starts producing and playing well, while the whisper of Marner wanting over 10mil continues, people will turn around and think Willie is not too bad.
Over the last few games, Willie is playing better, he just need to continue and play heavier while also score some goals.

Reactions: robertmac43

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
idk everyone keeps minimizing it saying it's nbd. but if we don't care about Saturday night HNiC Leafs Bruins in the dead of winter, why even be a fan?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Oh but we changed the goalie....cos yeah goaltending was the problem the past week.

Pretty sure that had to be the case on account of Hutchinson being an emergency callup. If both Andersen and Sparks are back, then he has to go back, else someone needs to be waived.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Based on the last couple of games it looks like Nylander is coming around and regaining some of his jump. The hands aren’t back yet but the legs are very close.

I more concerned about Kadri as this guy seems like he hasn’t scored in ages and he’s struggled defensively at times as well. It almost looks like he’s playing injured out there.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I more concerned about Kadri as this guy seems like he hasn’t scored in ages and he’s struggled defensively at times as well. It almost looks like he’s playing injured out there.

Kadri is top 3 in posts in the league which is part of the reason he "seems like he hasn't scored in ages." He is getting some high danger chances just has not finished yet, it will come. Also he is coming off of one of his best games, don't really think he is injured or anything really.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
We are going through a rough patch. Lost our mojo so to speak. Sure, we lost to Boston but any team is a tough cookie for us right now. Not that our effort is poor or anything.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->