Post-Game Talk: Not 1st in the Division

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Sharks got the better goaltending and all the bounces.

Back to back games where we deserve a better fate.

Tonight's game was a morale victory. I know that's not allowed but it was. There is no doubt in my mind that we can hang with the top teams in our conference, Sharks included.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I thought RNH played a great game

Talbot had an atrocious night, but he's allowed those every now and then with the amount of games he plays for us

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I thought RNH played a great game

Talbot had an atrocious night, but he's allowed those every now and then with the amount of games he plays for us

Ya, was a shame after Gus was so bad. Talbot sucked tonight, but, overall he has been great. So no biggy. Shame, the oilers played great 2 games in a row with 0 points. Still if we keep playing this way we are going to go on a tear.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Talbot's allowed to lay the odd stinker of a game. He's been so good for the team this year. Great to see the Oilers can keep up with a top team in the league like tonight.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Perhaps LA should trade Kopitar for a 5th? He is an embarrassment to hockey and the LA organization lol
yeah, great comparison. You really got me here

That's ridiculous. These players are humans too - ever think that not scoring in 20+ games has affected his confidence.

Regardless of the money they make, players are susceptible to normal human emotions and limitations.

Eberle is definitely playing without confidence - it is obvious to anyone who has watched his past five seasons.

I fear his confidence is not coming back. Ever.
He's lost his killer instinct that used to put defenders on their heels every time he touched the ice.
His ability to terrorize defenders is done and has now become "soft".

Maybe if his confidence is low, he should go back to basics. Eberle has been given the benefit of the doubt over and over and over again. It's his time to repay the team.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Ya, great comeback. Ebs hasn't allowed a goal in a long stretch also. But let's harp on his goal scoring. One wears a C, the other wears an A. But why put a label on it? lol.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014

Ya, great comeback. Ebs hasn't allowed a goal in a long stretch also. But let's harp on his goal scoring. One wears a C, the other wears an A. But why put a label on it? lol.
are we supposed to be proud that our $6m winger hasn't been in a direct correlation to a goal against?
Is that what our expectation has come to? Snake-bitten or not, lost confidence or not
He needs to be better.
Also do you really think Eberle deserves an A?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
No one unhappy with Gryba? He had some really bad moments with his coverage leading to a couple goals against. He's been a weak link for a while now (more than usual).

4th line killed us too early on with some very sloppy play in our zone, hate when that happens. Need energy from your 4th line, not a tire fire in your own zone. Hendricks gets slower every night. Give the man some rest.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
are we supposed to be proud that our $6m winger hasn't been in a direct correlation to a goal against?
Is that what our expectation has come to? Snake-bitten or not, lost confidence or not
He needs to be better.
Also do you really think Eberle deserves an A?

Who's talking about A's? Does Kopitar deserve a C with 1 goal on 30?

I care about winning and standings. Sorry to break your heart here but Ebs has has several games that factored into wins and our current standings. Some a direct result of his points, and to a much lesser extent and blind recognition of his defensive plays. But a couple infact, that lead to losses. Anyway, overall, he has helped more to our standings than against. Much more infact.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
No one unhappy with Gryba? He had some really bad moments with his coverage leading to a couple goals against. He's been a weak link for a while now.

4th line killed us too early on with some very sloppy play in our zone, hate when that happens. Need energy from your 4th line, not a tire fire in your own zone. Hendricks gets slower every night. Give the man some rest.

He's also our 7/8 D man.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
No one unhappy with Gryba? He had some really bad moments with his coverage leading to a couple goals against. He's been a weak link for a while now (more than usual).

Gryba's a hit or miss. That's why he's the team's 7th Dman, so hopefully Davy's good to go against the devils. Although he had a good game against the devils previously.
As for Hendricks, its time for Slepyshev to draw in imo.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
hey the stats line say 1 assist, 3hits and a +1

all that without being on McDavids line.

Remember the one shift where we had Lucic-Caggiula-Kassian on and we ended up scoring? wonder why out coach never put the trio together again

Right after that goal, all the lines went back in the blender including D pairings.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary

I really hate our 4th line. Their too small, not physical, provide no energy. Kassian really needs to be on that line for it to be effective. Play either Lander or Hendricks but not both.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
A lot of the outcome of this game was the goalies at each end of the ice and some bad puck luck. But also some really poor puck management and poor decisions defensively. Talbot was pretty bad, but the Oilers could have won this game if they played a bit smarter out there. It also took until they were down for them to really start pushing. Just not a good enough effort from the whole group. There's no moral victories for getting close early in the 3rd when you walk away with nothing.

Gryba and Hendricks are from an age past. These guys can't keep up in this league. Neither should be playing anymore imo.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I was annoyed at Gryba's usage this game. If he's your guy covering for Klefbom and playing key minutes, bad things are going to happen.

Benning's riding a bit of a hot stretch, so keep playing him with Sekera. But move Klefbom back with Larsson and get two pairings that you can trust in any situation. Russell-Gryba's fine as a 3rd pairing until Davidson's back.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I thought Gryba played some really good hockey this year. But this game he was bad. Like, Lucic bad.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Just came here to thank the refs for calling this play offside AFTER a beer-league linesman lets the puck hit his skate and knocks it out of the zone on the PP. Refs deflating an entire PP. Thaaaaaanks NHL. :shakehead

1s0axw.jpg

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
outshot the Sharks 28-15 over the final 40 minutes

poor start, bad luck, poor netminding, and Martin Jones were the reasons the Oilers lost

you forgot the stupid miscues that good teams make so few, that the Oilers made their fair share of last night, that bleeds goals. I's say bad plays more that bad luck. they got the luck the deserved.

they're the not ready for prime time players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad