Norway or Denmark?

Djurgardsjavel

Oct 29, 2010
Valhalla
I think it all comes down to whether Denmark manages to build on the now rapidly growing interest or not. Success breeds success and if you manage to establish hockey as a mainstream sport and it becomes a national concern recieving extensive media coverage, my money is probably on Denmark. The progress for hockey in Norway has been surprisingly slow in my opinion. A word of warning though.

As a Swede I can recall how a sport like tennis, that had an almost explosive growth in the wake of Borg/Wilander/Edbergs success lost almost all of its followers when we started having serious setbacks and simply weren't producing that many quality players anymore. You can lose that public interest just as quickly as you've gained it.

In general however, I'm just glad that hockey actually is growing in both nations and it bodes well for the dream of having a competitive, professional pan-Scandinavian league one day.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I can understand trying to be competitive and keeping the games close but that doesn't necessarily mean that your program is improving. You can line 5 guys up on the blueline and lose 2-0 but you'll never score either.

Both Denmark and Norway figured that out more quickly I think than Germany did and that's why they have improved more quickly than the Germans over the last 15 years.

Systems will often dull the development of individual hockey skills. Don't be afraid to develop skills at the expense of keeping it close. Tread the fine line between developing highly skilled players and being stuck in a system that won't allow it.

Djurgardsjavel

Oct 29, 2010
Valhalla
I can understand trying to be competitive and keeping the games close but that doesn't necessarily mean that your program is improving. You can line 5 guys up on the blueline and lose 2-0 but you'll never score either.

Both Denmark and Norway figured that out more quickly I think than Germany did and that's why they have improved more quickly than the Germans over the last 15 years.

Systems will often dull the development of individual hockey skills. Don't be afraid to develop skills at the expense of keeping it close. Tread the fine line between developing highly skilled players and being stuck in a system that won't allow it.

I'm no expert on German hockey and probably shouldn't even speak on the matter but having a domestic league that is to such a high degree made up of foreign nationals can hardly be conducive to fostering your own talent. That in my opinion is the main reason why Germany isn't more of a powerhouse in international hockey today.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I'm no expert on German hockey and probably shouldn't even speak on the matter but having a domestic league that is to such a high degree made up of foreign nationals can hardly be conducive to fostering your own talent. That in my opinion is the main reason why Germany isn't more of a powerhouse in international hockey today.

Yes very true. I wouldn't allow as many foreign players nor would I have allowed so many Canadians (convenient German citizenship) to play in so many high level championships.

I'd rather lose with more own and develop something. Right you are.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Patrik Thoresen - Tore Vikingstad - Mats Zuccarello
Mathis Olimb - Anders Bastiansen - Marius Holtet
Per Åge Skröder - Ken Olimb - Martin Röymark
Lars Erik Spets - Kristian Forsberg - Lauman Ylven

Kristian Tollefsen - Jonas Holös
Andreas Myrvold - Tommy Jakobsen
Mats Trygg - Alexander Bonsaksen

vs

Mikeal Boedker - Frans Nielsen - Lars Eller
Jannik Hansen - Peter Regin - Morten Madsen
Kiril Starkov - Mads Christensen - Julian Jakobsen
Nichlas Hardt - Morten Green - Kim Staal

Philip Larsen - Daniel Nielsen
Stefan Lassen - Mads Bodker
Jesper Jensen - Oliver Lauridsen

Last edited:

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm

vs

Denmark have the better team right now, but it's closer than NA posters would be lead to believe since the SEL-norvegians is actually pretty good. Both hockey-nations are lacking some great d-men to take the next step.

I think both nations will have some sucess now and then in the WC upcoming years which might gradually increase the interest for the sport. Having some NHL-players will also probably increase the media-attention.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Denmark have the better team right now, but it's closer than NA posters would be lead to believe since the SEL-norvegians is actually pretty good. Both hockey-nations are lacking some great d-men to take the next step.

I think both nations will have some sucess now and then in the WC upcoming years which might gradually increase the interest for the sport. Having some NHL-players will also probably increase the media-attention.

Very true.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway

vs

Tommy Jakobsen - Retired from international duty
Tore Vikingstad - Retired from international duty
Mats Trygg - Either injured or retired from international duty. Not sure.
Anders Myrvold - Internally banned from national team, because of lack of judgement.

Anders Fredriksen and Morten Ask is lacking from your team there.

But, yes. Norway and Denmark are pretty similar teams. We got more grit, they got more skill from the younger ones. Norway normally wins all important games.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia

Denmark is also aspiring to host the WC in 2016 I believe, so if they were to be succesfull with that, it could be a huge boost for popularity of the sport in the country. Qualifying for the Olympics could be one as well for Denmark, though I´m not sure whether it has done anything for Norway in therms of popularity of the sport last year....

Wolfy*

SirKillalot said:
Anders Myrvold - Internally banned from national team, because of lack of judgement.

I heard something about drug abuse?

Norway normally wins all important games

Looks like you got that right. They beat Denmark for the Vancouver Olympics, and in this tournament they got one foot in the finals already, only have to beat a weak France. Denmark is out.

member 116805

I heard something about drug abuse?

Looks like you got that right. They beat Denmark for the Vancouver Olympics, and in this tournament they got one foot in the finals already, only have to beat a weak France. Denmark is out.

Coke, got fired from Stavanger Oilers for it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad