WJC: Norway at the 2011 WJC

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
NORWAY 2011 WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP SELECTION CAMP ROSTER

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=545699

Goalies:
Kenneth Eriksen, Manglerud Star (2011 Draft eligible)
Steffen Soberg, Manglerud Star (2011 Draft eligible)
Lars Volden, Espoo Blues, Finland (2011 Draft eligible).

Defense:
Robin Andersen, Stjernen (2011 Draft eligible)
Jens Ulrik Bacher, Frisk Asker (2011 Draft eligible)
Nicolay Bryhnisveen, Lorenskog (2011 Draft eligible)
Adrian Saxrud Danielsen, Storhamar (2011 Draft eligible)
Kenneth Madso, Lillehammer (2011 Draft eligible)
Daniel Rokseth, Manglerud Star (2011 Draft eligible)
Tobias Skaarberg, Sparta Sarpsborg (2011 Draft eligible).

Forwards
Simen Viker Brekke, Valerenga (2011 Draft eligible)
Eirik Borresen, Storhamar (201 Draft eligible)
Petter Roste Fossen, Rosenborg (2011 Draft eligible)
Hans Kristian Hollstedt, Stjernen (2011 Draft eligible)
Michael Haga, Lulea, Sweden (2011 Draft eligible)
Rasmus Juell, Cedar Rapids RoughRiders, USHL (2011 Draft eligible)
Magnus Lindahl, Frisk Asker (2011 Draft eligible)
Torstein Nordrum, Frisk Asker (2011 Draft eligible)
Sondre Olden, MODO, Sweden (Toronto)
Mats Rosseli Olsen, Valerenga (2011 Draft eligible)
Jonas Oppoyen, Valerenga (2011 Draft eligible)
Andreas Stene, Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2011 Draft eligible)
Joachim Sundelius, Manglerud Star (2011 Draft eligible)
Nicholas Weberg, Shattuck-St. Mary's (High-Minnesota) (2011 Draft eligible).

So, we are in good company at juniors this year. Going to be extremely hard for these guys. Going to be exciting to see if they can manage to play along in some of the games.
But, this is definitively going to be a learning experience for them

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Good luck! It´s tough to believe they can avoid relegation somehow, but still a great experience.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
How come Mathias Trettenes didn´t make the team? He scores at an amazing rate in the swedish j18 league, has 44 points in 22 games. He will probably have a decent chance to be drafted in his draft year 2012.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Two words.....

Sondre Olden.

This year's Niederreiter?

Hardly. He's struggling. A bunch of other junior forwards(undrafted) has been called up to Modo SEL-squad lately. Not Olden. Go figure.

Olden shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Niederreiter.

Sondre Olden was drafted by the Leafs as a project forward. He may be one of the top players on Norway, but he is not going to dominate. Don't forget he is still only 18 years old and was drafted as a guy who will hopefully reach his potential in 4-5 years.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
We will probably go straight down again. Got the by far hardest group, but great experience for the guys. Hopefully they can impress some scouts. This is their chance to show what they can do.

Looking forward to watch Olden, Stene, Volden, Juell and Weberg.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
We will probably go straight down again. Got the by far hardest group, but great experience for the guys. Hopefully they can impress some scouts. This is their chance to show what they can do.

Will definately be a good experience for the team. Hopefully this will produce another prospect or two for Norway. How many '93's are on the team?

bretzky29ca*

I know this statement may sound ridicilous but due to the fact that Norway MAYBE has a 1% chance of avoiding relegation, was their any thought about placing the already acclaimed 2018 first overall pick Mattias Emilio Pettersen on this team? I realize it would be more of a publicity stunt then anything else but it sure would create buzz!

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I know this statement may sound ridicilous but due to the fact that Norway MAYBE has a 1% chance of avoiding relegation, was their any thought about placing the already acclaimed 2018 first overall pick Mattias Emilio Pettersen on this team? I realize it would be more of a publicity stunt then anything else but it sure would create buzz!

Give the kid a few more years, dont want him to die!

Merla

Nov 1, 2007

Speaking of Weberg. He produced some impressive numbers last season, both in the Midget league and the U-18 team. But I can't find any information whatsoever regarding where he's playing now?
His stats at eliteprospects.com are blank for the 2010-11 season.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Speaking of Weberg. He produced some impressive numbers last season, both in the Midget league and the U-18 team. But I can't find any information whatsoever regarding where he's playing now?

I dont know if this is right:

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster_player/show/290450?subseason=25550

His team has played less games, and they haven't played since late october. But I don't know anything about the league he play's in. There's a team called "Norway" there that has only played 6 games. So I'm kind of confused.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I'm going to the Canada/Norway game, and even though I'll be cheering for Canada I'm still quite excited to see what Olden can do, primarily because he's a Leafs prospect.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Didn't even know we were in this :blush:

Can't see this lot having any sort of chance though but it should be a decent sign for the future of Norwegian hockey that they've managed to qualify.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002

If youtube were icing a team at the tournament he'd be there for sure. Maybe they could bring him in for between periods to have a spin-o-rama contest with Omark.

2018 first overall pick... from Norway... playing in the 2011 wjc's. Think about that for a minute.

He's playing with the Shattuck prep team this year. He's leading the team in scoring, though he's a year or two older than most of the players on the team. The stats AwesomePanthers mentioned above are part of the season stats for his team when they were participating in the Midwest High School Elite League. You can follow his totals at the link below...

http://www.ssmsports.org/hockey/teams/2010-2011/boys/prep/boys-prep-stats

His stats from last season listed on eliteprospects were not with the prep team, but the midget aaa team, which is a level below the former.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto

I thought if you come last you face the 2nd last place team in the other division to see who gets relegated? Which would mean they would have to beat switzerland or slovakia.

Im probably wrong though.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
I thought if you come last you face the 2nd last place team in the other division to see who gets relegated? Which would mean they would have to beat switzerland or slovakia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_World_Junior_Ice_Hockey_Championships#Relegation_round

The two worst teams from one group will both face the two worst teams from the other group, with the results from the matches between teams from the same group in the preliminary round carrying forward to the relegation round.

The two worst teams in the relegation round are demoted to Division 1 while the two top teams from Division 1 (scroll down on the Wiki I linked to for results) are promoted to the top division.

In 2010 Latvia and Austria were relegated from the top division.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
It's somewhat telling that no Norwegian media has even spent two minutes on this tournament. The only article I recall seeing was in some local paper about one of the players.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I hope Olden shows well in this tournament. This kid has good potential and size, but needs to put it all together and it seems he hasn't quite done that this year. He should come over to NA next season and play in the CHL. I think it would do wonders for his development and get him used to playing the North American style of hockey.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I hope Olden shows well in this tournament. This kid has good potential and size, but needs to put it all together and it seems he hasn't quite done that this year. He should come over to NA next season and play in the CHL. I think it would do wonders for his development and get him used to playing the North American style of hockey.

Why would it be good for his development? How is staying in Sweden hurting his development? There comes a time when it seems like people want someone to come over for the sake of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00