North vs East

What is the more competitive division: North vs East

• Total voters

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No Chara, no Krug, Krejci is another year older. Boston was a top 5 team then, they're currently sitting at 13th overall in the standings. Still a good team but they are clearly worse than they were 2 years ago. They did recently add Hall so lets see how that works out.

How much of that is playing in the East? Playing in the Atlantic, they only had to worry about two other good teams (Tampa, Toronto). Then there was a steep drop off. This year they have to face 3 good teams, and more often too. That's going to affect their record.

Winnipeg, Edmonton, Montreal would all be slapping the bottom 4 teams in the East. Toronto/Winnipeg/Edmonton would all be in contention for a top 4 playoff spot in the East without a doubt, Montreal would have a very good chance as well. There's 4 good teams and 4 absolute garbage teams. Replace any of the top 4 with any other half decent team and they'd be sitting in a playoff spot in the East, that's how bad the rest of the division is.

I'm not sure why you think all 4 of the bottom teams in the East are bad? Two of them (Philly and the Rangers) are above .500. Both are on pace over a full season to end up with 88 points. They're both within striking distance of Boston for the last playoff spot (4 points back). The only two "garbage" teams in the East are New Jersey and Buffalo.

As for those 4 North teams making the playoffs in the East, which one of Washington, NY, Pittsburgh or Boston would they beat out? Toronto's the only team in the North who is on their level. Who cares what the "bottom 4" teams are like when they're not the ones the North teams would be battling for a playoff spot with.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
East is the best division and the north is the worst. Move the caps north and the remaining east is probably still better.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Based on last year's standings, you'd expect all 5 of Bruins/Caps/Flyers/Pens/NYI to be a little ahead of any of the Canadian teams, then come Edmonton/Toronto, then NYR are sandwiched in a tight group between Vancouver, Calgary and Winnipeg, then Montreal are equal-ish with NJD and Buffalo, and Ottawa are in their own league of hurt.

Not saying that's entirely accurate as a portrayal of where each team is, but the idea that the four teams that look like missing out this year are absolute garbage is a little off. I wish they were, it would have made the last couple years far more relaxed.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I didn't skip over your point. You made a big show asking how could it possibly be that Boston was one of the best teams in 2018 and 2019, but aren't now. While, quite easily, especially with an aging core and roster losses. In the years Boston faced the Leafs, both Winnipeg and Calgary placed 2nd overall, yet I'm sure you don't consider them among the best teams this year. Things change.

Exactly what evidence do you have that this year, Boston is a better team than Toronto, Winnipeg, or Edmonton?

Toronto is the only team that can match up with Boston who is 4th. Even with Boston's struggles and injuries this season.

The East is far more competitive than the no-defense North.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think another way of measuring this is that all 4 Eastern GMs made positive noises and one major move, and in the North, only Toronto felt like this was close enough to their year to warrant that.

I don't think Edmonton/Winnipeg would be complete no hopers in this division. They're good teams with a lot of strengths going for them. But they've got holes and they've been inconsistent recently, and it's a maybe they would and maybe they wouldn't for me.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Anyone taking the east is delusional. The bottom teams are so bad.

The Sabres or NJ would struggle against Ottawa if they had to play them.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I thought this poll and thread was about Kanye's kids at first

Anyone taking the east is delusional. The bottom teams are so bad.

The Sabres or NJ would struggle against Ottawa if they had to play them.

The real measure is the top teams. The top 4 of the East>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the Top 4 of the North

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
You have literally nothing to back up any of your baseless claims, as usual.

The same can be said of you. I've watched quite a few North division games this season since they provide entertainment. Originally I though Montreal was the team to beat but it is clearly Toronto and even they aren't one of the true elite teams in the NHL with a Tampa. They are on the Boston second tier of teams who have a chance in the playoffs but not an overwhelming favorite.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The same can be said of you.
I'm not the one making wild, unsubstantiated claims. That's just you.
I've watched quite a few North division games this season since they provide entertainment. Originally I though Montreal was the team to beat but it is clearly Toronto and even they aren't one of the true elite teams in the NHL with a Tampa. They are on the Boston second tier of teams who have a chance in the playoffs but not an overwhelming favorite.
I've watched quite a few East division games this season as well. Not sure why you're making this about Toronto anyway, but again, literally nothing supports your claim that Toronto is a "second tier" team. I mean, the very fact you thought Montreal was "the team to beat" just shows your lack of knowledge and understanding.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
No Chara, no Krug, Krejci is another year older. Boston was a top 5 team then, they're currently sitting at 13th overall in the standings. Still a good team but they are clearly worse than they were 2 years ago. They did recently add Hall so lets see how that works out.

Winnipeg, Edmonton, Montreal would all be slapping the bottom 4 teams in the East. Toronto/Winnipeg/Edmonton would all be in contention for a top 4 playoff spot in the East without a doubt, Montreal would have a very good chance as well. There's 4 good teams and 4 absolute garbage teams. Replace any of the top 4 with any other half decent team and they'd be sitting in a playoff spot in the East, that's how bad the rest of the division is.

Hmm, Rangers are by far best non playoffs spot team in whole league (Norris candidate, Top 5 forward, very good goalie).

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I'm not the one making wild, unsubstantiated claims. That's just you.

I've watched quite a few East division games this season as well. Not sure why you're making this about Toronto anyway, but again, literally nothing supports your claim that Toronto is a "second tier" team. I mean, the very fact you thought Montreal was "the team to beat" just shows your lack of knowledge and understanding.

I cringed.

Early in the season Montreal was the team to beat in that division. Do you truly believe Toronto is not in the second tier of teams in the NHL?

Toronto is pertinent as the only team that would be competing for a playoff position in the East.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hmm, Rangers are by far best non playoffs spot team in whole league (Norris candidate, Top 5 forward, very good goalie).

That's the funny part. The bottom 4 teams in the East are supposedly "trash", yet one of those trash has more points than the 4th place team in the North, and only 4 points back of the 3rd place team. If the Rangers are trash, what does that say about Montreal and Edmonton?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Early in the season Montreal was the team to beat in that division.
If all you care about are minor discrepancies in surface results over small samples with no consideration for why those surface results are what they are.
Do you truly believe Toronto is not in the second tier of teams in the NHL?
Toronto sits 5th in the league right now (top-5 for essentially the whole season), and is better than Boston this year. Call that what you want.
Toronto is pertinent as the only team that would be competing for a playoff position in the East.
Except again, that's not true.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The bottom 4 teams in the East are supposedly "trash", yet one of those trash has more points than the 4th place team in the North, and only 4 points back of the 3rd place team. If the Rangers are trash, what does that say about Montreal and Edmonton?
New York Rangers are behind both Montreal and Edmonton in the standings, FYI. They played more games.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
New York Rangers are behind both Montreal and Edmonton in the standings, FYI. They played more games.

You need to re-read what I said in regards to Edmonton. I said they (the Rangers) trail Edmonton by 4 points. I didn't say they were ahead.

As for Montreal, they're 3 points behind with 3 games in hand. They're 5-5 in their last 10 games, and without Price and Gallagher, don't look all that good. So there's a very real possibility (based on their current play) they don't pass the Rangers with their games in hand.

In any case, my larger point was that poster called the bottom four teams in the East "absolute garbage". So what does that say about Montreal and Edmonton when one of those "absolute garbage" teams is right around them in the overall league standings? Hell, even Philly is right around that range.

This idea that the East has 4 good teams and 4 bad teams doesn't have any statistical backing. 6 teams in the East currently have more points than the 4th place team in the North. Anything else is conjecture.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You need to re-read what I said in regards to Edmonton. I said they (the Rangers) trail Edmonton by 4 points. I didn't say they were ahead.
No, you said they were ahead of Montreal, which was untrue, and then downplayed the difference between a 0.619 and 0.558 team.
In any case, my larger point was that poster called the bottom four teams in the East "absolute garbage". So what does that say about Montreal and Edmonton when one of those "absolute garbage" teams is right around them in the overall league standings?
Well, I don't agree that they are "absolute garbage"... I was merely correcting your misleading statement, but quite frankly, it says more about Buffalo and New Jersey and how bad they've been.
6 teams in the East currently have more points than the 4th place team in the North.
Again, you're conveniently ignoring games played to include two teams that are below Montreal.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No, you said they were ahead of Montreal, which was untrue, and then downplayed the difference between a 0.619 and 0.558 team.

By points, they are. Nothing incorrect about that. Montreal actually has to win at least 2 of their 3 games in hand to pass the Rangers.

Well, I don't agree that they are "absolute garbage"... I was merely correcting your misleading statement, but quite frankly, it says more about Buffalo and New Jersey and how bad they've been.

"Misleading". You mean me pointing out that a "absolute garbage" team currently has more points than Montreal?

Your problem is you laser focus on a tiny part of a post, but ignore the overall point -- which is it's laughable for someone to call teams "absolute garbage" when those teams are roughly in the same range as two teams sitting 3rd and 4th in the division.

Again, you're conveniently ignoring games played to include two teams that are below Montreal.

For the 100th time, points. You're assuming Montreal takes advantage of their games in hand. In order for them to actually pass the Rangers, they have to win 2 out of 3 of them. If/when they do, then they'll be ahead of the Rangers. *Right now*, they're not.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I don’t know how you define “competitive” but these are the point projections for divisions going into 04/16/2021:

North – Playoffs: 59.3
West – Playoffs: 57.5
Central – Playoffs: 60.5
East – Playoffs: 65.6

I mean three of these divisions have essentially established their playoff seedings already lol.

upload_2021-4-16_19-39-44.png

Rangers: 61.8 lol

Last edited:

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

Nobody in the east has been able to slap the Rangers around so I somehow doubt anybody in the North would be doing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad