Series Talk: North Division Round 1: Leafs (1) vs. Canadiens (4) II

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Galchenyuk in for game 2, and I’d swap Sandin for Dermott. I like Sandin a lot, bright future, but I don’t know that he’s ready for this. Dermott is stronger, faster, more physical, and more reliable defensively.

This series is far from over, but we need to turn things around immediately.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Galchenyuk in for game 2, and I’d swap Sandin for Dermott. I like Sandin a lot, bright future, but I don’t know that he’s ready for this. Dermott is stronger, faster, more physical, and more reliable defensively.

This series is far from over, but we need to turn things around immediately.
Hard to believe they don't swap Dermott in for Sandin. Sandin was in the lineup for his offense to help out the PP and late game down a goal and he lost both of those jobs back to Rielly by the end of the game, while also being on for both goals against.

Thornton turnovers put him in tough spots on both but the ease with which he was left in the dust is definitely a concern.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wanted to wait until the morning after. I still feel sour this morning.

Every previous iteration of this team makes me uncertain abotu them being able to battle through the adversity. It also looks like a repeat of the CBJ series in that our bottom 6 look like they won't be contributing much offensively.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
I think this series is far from over, but yeah, puzzling lineup decisions for game 1.

I really don't understand why he would have Nash in over Galchenyuk. Makes zero sense. I did like how Sandin looked on the first PP we had, but that's not a good enough reason to keep him in. Dermott should have been in over him.

And why switch up the lines so much? Should have kept Foligno with M&M and Gally with Nylander and Tavares. Let Hyman do his thing on the third line. He's grown so much offensively - He'd help our team have depth. Instead he decides to put offensive black hole Nash there?

I won't even get into Thornton on the PP.

Overall I think he's a good coach, but his lineups are awful. It seems like he's not even thinking, however the truth is he's probably over-thinking it.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Losing JT really, really stings but luckily the Habs can be beaten without him .. The Leafs need to get back to some 3rd/4th lines that showed some success earlier in the season:

Foligno-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Kerfoot-Nylander
Hyman-Engvall-Mikheyev
Thornton-Brooks-Spezza

A makeshift second line that might be able to generate some offense, but that third line was really effective for a stretch when Matthews' was injured. And we saw what effectiveness Brooks' had with the fourth line.

Also Dermott in for Sandin.

While Nylander could play centre, I dislike the idea of throwing him in there after a season where they hadn't given him time there and they ran with other options (that had success).

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
Hate all the gloating by the Habs fans. We should have won this game only reason they did was because they took out our captain and it rocked us. Hope we can regroup.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Not in the best mood today ... but:

My home-town team Eisbären Berlin this season
--> also played in the North Division (of the German Hockey League, new aligned because of covid), which was considered to be much weaker than the South Division
and
--> lost the first game in every play-off round (and this with a shortened best-of-3 due to covid)
but
--> eventually became DEL champions for the first time since 2014!

So i'll just take yesterday's loss as another good omen.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Extremely interested to see what the lineup adjustments will be.

I rarely get into it because it is nonsense to think we have a better handle on roster management than the coaching staff...

With JT out though, there are some serious decisions to be made. Engvall is first up imo, plays C, can PK and had a strong finish to the season.

If the coach wants to take anyone else out I would think Dermott back in for Sandin, he had a tough game and got exposed.

Clearly Campbell returns to the crease, he was excellent. Nash brought nothing, but he is a big C and it was his first game, wondering if he gets another look. I do not see them taking out Thornton, though it would be justified by his play. So if people want Galchenyuk in, who else do you take out? If it is Nash that means you have to move Kerfoot back to C where he is way less effective, or you have to move Spezza up which has also proven to be the wrong move through out the season.

I pray for a magical return by the captain, but that would be silly talk.

Regardless of who is in, we have our first true must win game, b/c is this team goes down 0-2 they are toast.

Last edited:

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
This post season can turn into an incredible story of victory, or an unfortunate event leading to broken hearts.

It's not over, we still have our 1st line entirely intact.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
coach needs to grow a set and sit Thornton ...he was the reason for the 2nd goal, and his passing has been just bad all season.
i was hoping he'd step it up, but, he stepped it back instead.
Simmonds also disappointed, and Spezza is the only one on the 4th line i wouldnt sit (yet).

...also, finish a bloody check now and then!

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
coach needs to grow a set and sit Thornton ...he was the reason for the 2nd goal, and his passing has been just bad all season.
i was hoping he'd step it up, but, he stepped it back instead.
Simmonds also disappointed, and Spezza is the only one on the 4th line i wouldnt sit (yet).

...also, finish a bloody check now and then!
Thornton was the reason for both goals against.

Reactions: ER89

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I think the Leafs will be alright, having that happen to Tavares def effected them. Expecting a different team game 2. It's classic playoff hockey, huge ups and downs.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Where are you guys getting the playoff avatars? I'd like to update my JT one to represent our postseason appearance

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Without JT, I would try this next game (assuming Keefe keeps Thornton in the lineup):

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Nash-Mikheyev
Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds

or

Foligno-Matthews-Marner
Mikheyev-Nash-Hyman
Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds

Last edited:

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Thornton was the reason for both goals against.
if Campbell didnt skate out to clear the broken stick from the slot, Anderson doesnt make it through the middle, and Campbell wasnt able to get properly set as he didnt expect the turnover. (Thornton again... I i picked him as my surprise player, but, he's done i think)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Losing JT really, really stings but luckily the Habs can be beaten without him .. The Leafs need to get back to some 3rd/4th lines that showed some success earlier in the season:

Foligno-Matthews-Marner
Hyman-Engvall-Mikheyev
Thornton-Brooks-Spezza

A makeshift second line that might be able to generate some offense, but that third line was really effective for a stretch when Matthews' was injured. And we saw what effectiveness Brooks' had with the fourth line.

Also Dermott in for Sandin.

While Nylander could play centre, I dislike the idea of throwing him in there after a season where they hadn't given him time there and they ran with other options (that had success).

I know he's 1 of a bunch of personnel on the PK but I did like Nash on PK yesterday

My top 6 looks the same as yours though, I hate Hyman on top line taking it all on his back hand, he's better at RW.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Watching the TB/FLA and NYI/Pitt games last night (minus the clear fan advantage) there is not alot of hate in our team. You watch Pittsburg and guys are choking each other out after the whistle, from grinders to crosbys. Anyone around the net after the whistle is getting a glove to the face and cross checks to the exposed part of the hip....

Toronto... Whistle goes and they skate to the bench.

Get ANGRY.

Reactions: Ulysses31

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Get Nash the hell out of the lineup, so stupid. Literally one of the worst offensive players in the league, we don't need a shutdown guy against a team of 3rd liners.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Gally will be a HABS KILLER in this series. LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Make it so that Keefe CANT sit you buddy

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Get Nash the hell out of the lineup, so stupid. Literally one of the worst offensive players in the league, we don't need a shutdown guy against a team of 3rd liners.
I dont mind Nash, it is going to get a bit to get his legs going but.... I think he adds to the team.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Also, enough with the DOG penalties. 3 last game. If my memory serves me correct, wasnt this a problem in years past too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad