North Bay Battalion 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olden

Nov 25, 2018
According to OHL website, there were 2 4-team exhibition tournaments on Labour Day weekend in 2018.

In Kitchener: Kitchener, Moncton, North Bay and Saginaw.
In Buffalo: Erie, Hamilton, Flint and Windsor.

The inclusion of Moncton in Kitchener might move the event from OHL to CHL status.
Thats correct Chl showcase. Like i had said i heard it may take place in North Bay. That be awesome!!!

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
I believe towards the end of June, maybe early July.

Is anyone going to spring camp this weekend? Maybe we could compare notes here, then provide valuable assistance to the GM/Coach by constructing a roster for next season.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
...looks like skaters were drafted this year..3 DM Flyers all looked good..Arnsby hits anyone, often..great edges..liked Savignac from Sudbury MM...Thompson, D from Marlies has size.could see him on D this year, Vrebetics year.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Some random notes from Green / White 1:

Surprised Kyle Jackson wasn’t there.
The twins can really move. Although Paul was in a heap with 26 sec. remaining, looked a little shaky leaving the ice, wonder if he will play in the next 2 sessions.
Impressed at the long distance award winner: Clint Levens all the way from Florida. Looks like he wants to make the team the old school way, he delivered 4 or 5 solid, and clean, body checks.
Savignac fit right in, and JoeV looks like a cool customer in net.

Reactions: dirty12

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Some random notes from Green / White 2:

The twins continued to impress. Compete level and skating seem to be really strong. Paul (D) took off up ice several times, once leading the rush without the puck looking for a pass, once leading the rush with the puck while on the penalty kill. Won’t take too long for Coach to break him of these nasty creative offensive habits. Alex (RW) was on a line with D. Savignac a number of times and the 2 meshed well together.

There is always a caveat attached to spring workouts for prospects, however. The top players are only competing against lesser versions of themselves, there isn’t an 18 - 20 year old in sight (well, okay, except for Mat Hardwick).

Yes, it’s early, and I am certainly no talent evaluator. But, to me, Liam Arnsby so far hasn’t really looked like a first round draft choice.

Wonder if the coaches reined in Levens a little bit. He only delivered a couple of mild hits in the late day session after quite a few big ones in the morning.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
my notes from camp

G- Cicigoi, comes out to play the puck often, if you want to develop vrbetic for another year you could put cicigoi in at back up
D/F Christopoulos twins, both were very noticeable all 3 sessions, defenceman Paul C is very aggressive and some mistakes that you would expect from a rookie but would be a huge upgrade over henderson, Alex C made plenty of good decisions and was very active on the ice
F- Hardwick, made some skilled moves but you expect that from the camp vet, could be late cut/ call up during the season.
G- Vrbetic Calm cool and collected in net
D- Thompson. controlled the puck well, would look nice on the back end next year to replace Malik
F- Kioki, made some good plays, wants to make the team, another late cut or injury call up
F-Donato, maybe it was the hair but i noticed him alot on the ice
F- Arnsby- Not Great Not Bad, played the puck well and hit alot, showed more promise than our previous 1st round pick
F- Levens, seems to want to make the team, threw many hits and made many good passes, could replace a player like patrick Brown

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
my notes from camp

G- Cicigoi, comes out to play the puck often, if you want to develop vrbetic for another year you could put cicigoi in at back up
D/F Christopoulos twins, both were very noticeable all 3 sessions, defenceman Paul C is very aggressive and some mistakes that you would expect from a rookie but would be a huge upgrade over henderson, Alex C made plenty of good decisions and was very active on the ice
F- Hardwick, made some skilled moves but you expect that from the camp vet, could be late cut/ call up during the season.
G- Vrbetic Calm cool and collected in net
D- Thompson. controlled the puck well, would look nice on the back end next year to replace Malik
F- Kioki, made some good plays, wants to make the team, another late cut or injury call up
F-Donato, maybe it was the hair but i noticed him alot on the ice
F- Arnsby- Not Great Not Bad, played the puck well and hit alot, showed more promise than our previous 1st round pick
F- Levens, seems to want to make the team, threw many hits and made many good passes, could replace a player like patrick Brown

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
I could see replacing 2 D this year from this bunch and 3 forwards could play here...go with a true rebuild and play the kids...if we miss a first round PO..who cares..? and get lucky with import for a change...

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
SNLDP – solid write-up, thanks for the input.

BP – agree, might be time to move on from a few roster players. GM did so last year with Potts/Forhan, maybe he can do so again.

Is anyone willing to try to construct a season opening roster? I’m thinking the usual 20 roster spots (2G, 6D, 12F) plus 2 or 3 extras to begin.

Is there a restriction on the number of 16 yr. old draftees allowed on the roster? I think I might have seen this as 4 somewhere in the past, but not sure. If so, presume top 3 selections would be automatic, who is the 4th?

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
I’ll take jab at opening day roster, but who will the OA’s be? Assuming Montreal has real interest in drafting or signing Struthers and he wouldn’t return for the upcoming season is a big question mark

pigU

Apr 8, 2019
SNLDP – solid write-up, thanks for the input.

BP – agree, might be time to move on from a few roster players. GM did so last year with Potts/Forhan, maybe he can do so again.

Is anyone willing to try to construct a season opening roster? I’m thinking the usual 20 roster spots (2G, 6D, 12F) plus 2 or 3 extras to begin.

Is there a restriction on the number of 16 yr. old draftees allowed on the roster? I think I might have seen this as 4 somewhere in the past, but not sure. If so, presume top 3 selections would be automatic, who is the 4th?

Justin Ertel
Justin Ertel at eliteprospects.com

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Well, here goes, an attempt at a season opening roster. Of course there are many variables, please feel free to add and subtract as you see fit.

Chenier Primeau Russell
Caines Moncada Coe
Jackson Arnsby A. Christo.
Import Peters Brown
Extras 2 of Ertel, Levens, Savignac

King Maier
Rose P. Christo.
Schlueting Henderson
Extras 1 of Hollett, Shepard

Propp Vrbetic

Some factors which went into the list: 1) presume Struthers plays pro somewhere; 2) lots of 1 & 2 goal scorers available, but kept Brown for the PK (not sure if that is enough of a reason to give him a roster spot); 3) if the 4 draftee restriction is accurate, only 1 of the extras can stay permanently.

In summary, I think it says a lot about your team`s chances when a 3 year, 172 games, 17 career goals scorer might be the 2nd line centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig