North Bay Battalion 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Easily.

Despite the attitude concerns, Merkley is a first round NHL talent. He's been a PPG player in the OHL since he entered it at 16. Not to take anything away from Cam, but Merkley's significantly more dynamic offensively.

It just goes to show you how much work needs to be done to fix his other issues. Two teams in this league have apparently had enough of him.

Offensively maybe, but -66 in his OHL career so far. Dineen +12 and I never saw him quit on a play the 2 1/2 yrs he played here like Merkley does regularly. He would have been a bust here under the Butler system.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Offensively maybe, but -66 in his OHL career so far. Dineen +12 and I never saw him quit on a play the 2 1/2 yrs he played here like Merkley does regularly. He would have been a bust here under the Butler system.
Merkley wouldn't play a 'Butler system'. He's a rover-type defenseman who single-handedly runs an offense. Similar to how Anthony DeAngelo played in the OHL, he's a guy who will drive the play at the expense of safe defensive play.

Personally I think he'd be an interesting add. His linemates may not be appreciative of the lapses, but he'd certainly inflate some stat-lines. I don't think it hurt Samorukov's development one bit being paired with him.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
I’d take Dineen over merkley 9 times out of 10 all things considered, fwiw. This d core has enough kinks to work out against a coaching staff that offers little to no assistance; nevermind adding the biggest headcase in the league... please no.

Reactions: sbpointer

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
I’d never let a personality like around the ream but hypothetically a player that can move the puck like that would be a game changer

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I’d never let a personality like around the ream but hypothetically a player that can move the puck like that would be a game changer
It's a tough call. Your locker room would be a problem for that year if Merkley really is that much of a head case. But I have to think that he probably brings a few guys out of their shell in terms of taking chances to create offense.

Taking Merkley on would give guys like Rose, King and Schleuting a stage they probably wouldn't have otherwise.

I just look at what Guelph did immediately after he was traded. His former defensive partner was the best defenseman in the league throughout the second half.

I just don't know that Merkley and Butler would work at all.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Rose handled top pairing minutes in the 2nd half last year and did an admirable job.

Someone has to play the mins? Looking at the line up would have thought it was Calvas and King.

In a defensive system the battalion averaged close to 38 shots against per game regular season. Only Flint in tougher west was worse, and both were almost 3 shots against worse than next team in the league. Playoffs Battalion averaged over 50 shots against per game. Your Coach has reputation for a defensive style, was sick for the first part of the season so maybe the system was not properly established early? Surprised at the shots against totals out of Battalion last season. Stronger focus on style of play needed? Original poster seemed to not be questioning any player - stated he liked him - more like looking for additions to help.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Some random notes from training camp Game 4 (my 2nd):

In response to SNLDP’s eval. of Paul Christopoulos vs. Cam Dineen – early 1st period Coe 1 on 1 to PC4, inside out move, etc., Christo stared him down, rode him into the corner, ended up with the puck and looked to head up ice. Due to alignment of various bodies there didn’t seem to be a lane, took a bit of a stutter step, re-assessed, found a slot and then took off, carried the puck all the way and had a good shot on goal. Later made a nice floater/saucer pass into traffic right on to a stick, then had couple of good passes and/or shots. Finally, on the PK 3rd period took off with the puck and led the rush up ice down a man. I’m a PC4 fan, give him the #4 jersey. While we can't call him the new Cam just yet, we might in time.

Game 2 and first 2 periods today I thought the Pacer looked no different than his last game 6 months ago. Then in 3rd today he took off on a number of rushes with good outcomes, made several sound passes both in his zone and up ice.

For me, player of the games was Cam Peters. He made a great pass for the 1st Green goal, scored the game winner on a laser wrister top left corner and checked effectively. As yesterday, he caught an open player from behind on the way to the net and foiled a clear scoring attempt.

Mat Hardwick took a regular RW shift with Arnsby and Chenier, I think he will make the trip to Kitchener.

Both Primeau and Struthers did not suit up due to injuries.

Both Nick King and Ty Hollett made sliding stops to break up 2 on 1s against them.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Some random notes from training camp Game 4 (my 2nd):

In response to SNLDP’s eval. of Paul Christopoulos vs. Cam Dineen – early 1st period Coe 1 on 1 to PC4, inside out move, etc., Christo stared him down, rode him into the corner, ended up with the puck and looked to head up ice. Due to alignment of various bodies there didn’t seem to be a lane, took a bit of a stutter step, re-assessed, found a slot and then took off, carried the puck all the way and had a good shot on goal. Later made a nice floater/saucer pass into traffic right on to a stick, then had couple of good passes and/or shots. Finally, on the PK 3rd period took off with the puck and led the rush up ice down a man. I’m a PC4 fan, give him the #4 jersey. While we can't call him the new Cam just yet, we might in time.

Game 2 and first 2 periods today I thought the Pacer looked no different than his last game 6 months ago. Then in 3rd today he took off on a number of rushes with good outcomes, made several sound passes both in his zone and up ice.

For me, player of the games was Cam Peters. He made a great pass for the 1st Green goal, scored the game winner on a laser wrister top left corner and checked effectively. As yesterday, he caught an open player from behind on the way to the net and foiled a clear scoring attempt.

Mat Hardwick took a regular RW shift with Arnsby and Chenier, I think he will make the trip to Kitchener.

Both Primeau and Struthers did not suit up due to injuries.

Both Nick King and Ty Hollett made sliding stops to break up 2 on 1s against them.
Hollett really stood out bunch at camp for myself as well

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Any feedback from post scrimmage this morning? Have cuts been made? Who is your bold prediction to make the team that wasn't expected to?
So many questions, sorry.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Someone has to play the mins? Looking at the line up would have thought it was Calvas and King.

In a defensive system the battalion averaged close to 38 shots against per game regular season. Only Flint in tougher west was worse, and both were almost 3 shots against worse than next team in the league. Playoffs Battalion averaged over 50 shots against per game. Your Coach has reputation for a defensive style, was sick for the first part of the season so maybe the system was not properly established early? Surprised at the shots against totals out of Battalion last season. Stronger focus on style of play needed? Original poster seemed to not be questioning any player - stated he liked him - more like looking for additions to help.
Original poster said that he couldn't see anyone aside from King playing top minutes.

Rose and Calvas were the top pairing. King played with Henderson.

In the end both the original poster and I agree that we like Rose. Imo Rose is our #1 D followed closely by King. I feel the knock on King is his playing with Henderson who made numerous turnovers every night. Rose is more "complete" as I see it.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Any feedback from post scrimmage this morning? Have cuts been made? Who is your bold prediction to make the team that wasn't expected to?
So many questions, sorry.
Scrolled through and didn't see Josh Currie mentioned at all, yet he signed today. Well done kid. Another 02 to pad our line up for what looks to be a solid squad as early as next year.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
...uniform change....STH numbers...Euro#1 coming?....sound system improved....broadcast change...Kyper hired on??….

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The goalie market is kind of tepid this year. Interesting if they decide to run Cicigoi-Vrbetic this year. They really need to add a veteran D if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad