North Bay Battalion 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Some random ramblings as we head into the beginning of training camp:

I like the Ryan Oulahen hire, must have missed the announcement earlier this summer. But here are 2 I would like more: former Battalion and NB area product Ken Peroff Asst Coach GUE, and Lee Jinman former Centennial, assigned to prospects only, both on and off the ice with SAG or FLT (can’t remember which).

Thanks to SNLDP for pointing out the presence of a pre-season roster, didn’t realize it existed. Is this the team for the upcoming season? I notice Coach said non-roster players will be sent home after camp, and since this is called a roster, maybe there will be no additions or subtractions. Personally I think we have enough 1 and 2 goal scorers, maybe it is time to move on from Patrick Brown and Kurtis Evans and give someone else a chance. It seems most teams treat this info. differently, some list returnees only, no draft choices, some have draft choices in the mix. The only 2 teams who approach it properly are SAG and OSH, each of these list 40-50 players with all the data, including how and when acquired.

Ryan O’Rourke (D, SSM) seems to be getting some early notice for the next NHL draft, 2nd round maybe. ‘Hounds took him at 20, maybe he might have been worthy of consideration at 9 instead of the Pacer. I know I should leave this one alone, but I can’t seem to.

A couple of executive moves by other teams caught my attention, Jeff Twohey to KGN and Marty Williamson to BAR. Not sure of the scope of these positions but they appear to be a layer of responsibility between GM and ownership. Colts have implemented a sports science department and Gens did a major reno to players’ area, very impressive. Don’t imagine any of these will come this way any time soon, but I like the addition of a strength coach by the Battalion.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
Some random ramblings as we head into the beginning of training camp:

I like the Ryan Oulahen hire, must have missed the announcement earlier this summer. But here are 2 I would like more: former Battalion and NB area product Ken Peroff Asst Coach GUE, and Lee Jinman former Centennial, assigned to prospects only, both on and off the ice with SAG or FLT (can’t remember which).

Thanks to SNLDP for pointing out the presence of a pre-season roster, didn’t realize it existed. Is this the team for the upcoming season? I notice Coach said non-roster players will be sent home after camp, and since this is called a roster, maybe there will be no additions or subtractions. Personally I think we have enough 1 and 2 goal scorers, maybe it is time to move on from Patrick Brown and Kurtis Evans and give someone else a chance. It seems most teams treat this info. differently, some list returnees only, no draft choices, some have draft choices in the mix. The only 2 teams who approach it properly are SAG and OSH, each of these list 40-50 players with all the data, including how and when acquired.

Ryan O’Rourke (D, SSM) seems to be getting some early notice for the next NHL draft, 2nd round maybe. ‘Hounds took him at 20, maybe he might have been worthy of consideration at 9 instead of the Pacer. I know I should leave this one alone, but I can’t seem to.

A couple of executive moves by other teams caught my attention, Jeff Twohey to KGN and Marty Williamson to BAR. Not sure of the scope of these positions but they appear to be a layer of responsibility between GM and ownership. Colts have implemented a sports science department and Gens did a major reno to players’ area, very impressive. Don’t imagine any of these will come this way any time soon, but I like the addition of a strength coach by the Battalion.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
Charles Abbott taking over from former Head scout,,,Errol Hook.......willing to wait on the next draft or two before commenting..but other than the obvious club connection...what would be his qualifications...

Last edited:

Olden

Nov 25, 2018
Stoked for the the OHL pre season showcase in Kitchener. It was rad last time. Anyone going this time or.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Ah, pre-season time and fans' hearts are pitter-patter over what the newest Battalion version will pan out to be. I often think of the Bert Templeton years, who was a believer in a three-year cycle for his teams, where it was start-over time in year one - improving in all departments for year two, and then going all out to advance as far as possible in year three. The Battalion brain-trust apparently are not big believers of that schedule. Apart from some success in years one and two, the last four have been miserable disappointments. Will our hardcore fans ever see them "go for it" again?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
A 4th place finish and home ice in year three can’t be too disappointing. The 2001, ‘02, ‘03 born look pretty good, so 2020-21,22,23 look like they can be good years for the battalion.

too_long

Oct 24, 2006
3rd rounder Justin Ertel not in camp? (not in the program anyway.)
I think he was at the spring session.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016

Attachments

• 48B4E995-9B63-4773-B872-909DA5F50E8C.jpeg
    48B4E995-9B63-4773-B872-909DA5F50E8C.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad