North Bay Battalion 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
View From Section 9 - tell me why you think NB will be a contender next year (I need a shred of hope). From recent experience, the future looks like a vast wasteland.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
View From Section 9 - tell me why you think NB will be a contender next year (I need a shred of hope). From recent experience, the future looks like a vast wasteland.
Struthers and Chenier come back as solid O/A, Coe has another year of development, Peters gets a year under his belt. Our young D comes back older, Vrbetic up from Powassan

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Struthers and Chenier come back as solid O/A, Coe has another year of development, Peters gets a year under his belt. Our young D comes back older, Vrbetic up from Powassan
Strong goaltending, a year older defensive core. No Brazeau but a deeper offensive group I think makes for a stronger overall team

Reactions: View from section 9

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016

What he said, plus Primeau another year older. I think he's going to be huge for at least 2 seasons after this one. He's a PPG guy with us already (yes small sample size)

Add another Euro forward in there too.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
I am thinking Stan has a good handle on next spring drafts with his extra evaluating while off...

Next draft rumored to be one of the weakest in memory. Fact that Windsor did not get a bunch of Ottawa seconds in goalie trade indicates that is the commonly held. Next draft is less valuable. Not deep

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
With moving out Cameron, Maier away and Mailhot injured we are down to 6 D. Might be scary back there but...

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
It looks like the D-Corps will have 6 players, which means PS5 will probably not play the 4-5 sheltered minutes per game, but probably twice as much, or more. With 6D, it would mean the game lineup will be a more traditional 12F/ 6D rather than the 11/7 configuration used for much of this season. As such, it looks like the team will be able to get all of their 1 goal forwards into the game at the same time. Oops, sorry, Luke Moncada, you are up to 2.
I know I’m sounding more than a bit negatory here, but I would say tonight is a must have, and there doesn’t appear to be much chance for Sat./Sun. 0-3 this weekend and a 7 game streak is a real possibility.
Difficult to say how much impact LB25 will have, if he plays. Limited minutes on the 3rd or 4th line might be a starting point.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Finally got to catch a game live. ^^^If it was a must win, not many players were told. I tell ya, they look better on TV where the camera doesn't seem to catch the defensive mistakes. I am not putting it all on the defence, they are both young and not highly skilled but as a team, they are terrible defensively. Yeah Brasseau has hands and he can score, but has no idea what to do without the puck. He is as much a defensive liability as he is an offensive threat. Don't want to harp on the young man but as the captain, the leader of the team....you lead with actions not words. Gotta say I was impressed with Primeau and Coe. I read that Coe takes a lot of slack but I thought he played an inspired game for the most part.

Reactions: Uncle

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
What he said, plus Primeau another year older. I think he's going to be huge for at least 2 seasons after this one. He's a PPG guy with us already (yes small sample size)

Add another Euro forward in there too.
To get a good Euro , you need to find one by scouting , not throwing a dart at a board , oh and it would be great if they would report !

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Yeah Brasseau has hands and he can score, but has no idea what to do without the puck. He is as much a defensive liability as he is an offensive threat. Don't want to harp on the young man but as the captain, the leader of the team....you lead with actions not words.
Definitely wouldn’t call him a massive defensive liabilty and question his leadership

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Prophet: "oh and it would be great if they would report!"

In the last 10 Import drafts, the team has selected 13 players, and of these, 11 have played for the team. Of the 2 who didn't, Robin Kovacs ('15) elected to stay in Europe, Filip Chytil ('17) had his fate decided by his NHL team (NYR) who assigned him to AHL Hartford.
I'm not trying to defend the team's draft record and I don't disagree with the "dart board" theory. But to suggest that Import selections do not report does not appear to be entirely accurate.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
To get a good Euro , you need to find one by scouting , not throwing a dart at a board , oh and it would be great if they would report !

Unless looking for an import that fits a system, scouting has little to do with drafting the best available talent. By 17-18, all the best are on NHL scouting agencies draft lists with all the stats, video, background info needed on players available. What is needed is $ for transfer payments; and, being able to convince agent, player, parents that OHL/NB is a better place to prepare them for a successful pro career than Czech, and Swedish & Finnish super elite leagues.
‘67s selected Rossi, who was listed as high as #4 for the 2020 NHL draft. Every CHL team knew of him; but, Rossi chose Ottawa. London chose a player that was the #8 NHL pick. Flint was aware of Boqvist.

Last edited:

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Too many passengers on this team, players who contribute nothing. Players who go a full game and never even try to direct a puck at the net!

Can't blame this one on goaltending.

I know the coach has been absent, but where is the GM?

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Definitely wouldn’t call him a massive defensive liabilty and question his leadership
You would likely know his character better than I as I am not a North Bay fan but rather a casual follower of players around the league that I coached or coached against. I like to watch their progression through the league.
My point was, the top line was directly responsible for two goals because of lack of effort which is unacceptable from a captain and an assistant. Yes they scored a goal and in fact, if Brasseau was more concerned with helping the team win instead of padding his stats, he had the go ahead goal on his stick with a guy wide open for a tap in and chose to try to do it all himself.
Selfish, lack of effort behavior doesn't seem like leadership.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You would likely know his character better than I as I am not a North Bay fan but rather a casual follower of players around the league that I coached or coached against. I like to watch their progression through the league.
My point was, the top line was directly responsible for two goals because of lack of effort which is unacceptable from a captain and an assistant. Yes they scored a goal and in fact, if Brasseau was more concerned with helping the team win instead of padding his stats, he had the go ahead goal on his stick with a guy wide open for a tap in and chose to try to do it all himself.
Selfish, lack of effort behavior doesn't seem like leadership.

Brazeau 29 GP - 26g, 24a and maybe the only plus player is carrying the batallion. When playing with Brazeau; Struthers, Chenier, McMaster are >ppg. Even Postanov got points playing with Brazeau.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Brazeau 29 GP - 26g, 24a and maybe the only plus player is carrying the batallion. When playing with Brazeau; Struthers, Chenier, McMaster are >ppg. Even Postanov got points playing with Brazeau.
You just made my point. Default statement, which I had already made, is Brasseau can score goals but as a leader he should lead by example.
The mark of a good player is he makes people around him better. Can't argue your point that anyone on his line gets points but can you tell me his effort south of center ice makes anyone better. I would say it makes them worse because they are jumping the zone early just like him.
We have gone down a rabbit hole; I just made a comment on what I observed last night.
I am not here to bash Brasseau, he is the captain, he can score goals; question is, can he lead this team in anything more than points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad