North Bay Battalion 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Oh man you have a lot of learning to do this is a consistent thing with the franchise

I know there are issues on reporting, but for Spadafore I would think he would of wanted to go there and being close to home. I thought he should of been on the team last year, so maybe Spadafore look for other opportunities after getting snubbed.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
I know there are issues on reporting, but for Spadafore I would think he would of wanted to go there and being close to home. I thought he should of been on the team last year, so maybe Spadafore look for other opportunities after getting snubbed.
Could also be looking somewhere that gives him the best opportunity for his career

Reactions: cub

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
General questions,

Is there paid or free parking at the Gardens? Myself along with another poster from Owen Sound are planning on headed up there for the classic preseason game between the Attack vs. Battalion on the 15th of September.

As an avid fan I'm also a diehard puck collector and are in hopes that the Battalion store would be open on preseason game day?

We're diehard fans of the Attack and the league and look forward to seeing the Gardens as one of our very few remaining cities of the league that we've yet to see a game from.

Any general information that Battalion fans who can answer for the questions above please send a PM to myself would be much appreciated.

AttackSound,

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
General questions,

Is there paid or free parking at the Gardens? Myself along with another poster from Owen Sound are planning on headed up there for the classic preseason game between the Attack vs. Battalion on the 15th of September.

As an avid fan I'm also a diehard puck collector and are in hopes that the Battalion store would be open on preseason game day?

We're diehard fans of the Attack and the league and look forward to seeing the Gardens as one of our very few remaining cities of the league that we've yet to see a game from.

Any general information that Battalion fans who can answer for the questions above please send a PM to myself would be much appreciated.

AttackSound,
Parking is free, show up a little earlier for a decent spot as for the team store I couldn’t answer that one for you. Cheers hope you enjoy our city

Reactions: AttackSound

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not familiar with Spadafore. Would he have drawn in? Decent numbers last season, but our depth on defense is on the left where he plays.

Was he an upgrade on King, Henderson, Rose, Schlueting or Allair?

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Not familiar with Spadafore. Would he have drawn in? Decent numbers last season, but our depth on defense is on the left where he plays.

Was he an upgrade on King, Henderson, Rose, Schlueting or Allair?

Spadafore, is tough has nails and can put numbers. He signed with a high quality team Rimouski Oceanic, out of the Q league. He can fit in you're D core easy. King and Henderson are 5 or 6 D on most teams.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Spadafore, is tough has nails and can put numbers. He signed with a high quality team Rimouski Oceanic, out of the Q league. He can fit in you're D core easy. King and Henderson are 5 or 6 D on most teams.
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of those two when comparing the players simply based on the fact both put up stronger numbers in the GOJHL, which is known as a stronger league than the NOJHL at the same age--Henderson a year younger.

Lets see how he does in the Q though.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Spadafore not getting a few games as a call up at 17 yrs old is a good indication that he did not fit into Battalion plans.
Sorry for NB fans regarding Burghardt

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Spadafore not getting a few games as a call up at 17 yrs old is a good indication that he did not fit into Battalion plans.
Sorry for NB fans regarding Burghardt

Dirty12 is alive, I guess Spadafore is good enough for top Quebec team.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Dirty12 is alive, I guess Spadafore is good enough for top Quebec team.

He must be worthy of a camp roster spot, at the very least. Several Ontario kids not good enough for OHL teams play in the Q; on occasion, it turns out they are good enough to be NHL players. In this case though, the player was not good enough to be a battalion.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of those two when comparing the players simply based on the fact both put up stronger numbers in the GOJHL, which is known as a stronger league than the NOJHL at the same age--Henderson a year younger.

Lets see how he does in the Q though.

Not sure I would agree that the GOJHL is a better league than the NOJHL. Like all of the Jr. leagues they have strong franchises (Elmira, Listowel, Caledonia etc) but they have their far share of gong shows (Buffalo, Guelph/now Cambridge, Komoka etc.).

Truly believe Spadafore’s numbers would transfer to either of the leagues equally. The decision not to bring him to North Bay must have more to do with style of play or not filling a need the Battalion wanted to address.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
He must be worthy of a camp roster spot, at the very least. Several Ontario kids not good enough for OHL teams play in the Q; on occasion, it turns out they are good enough to be NHL players. In this case though, the player was not good enough to be a battalion.

Spadafore can play in OHL, sometimes you need a break to get foot in the door, I remember Stan Butler was asked about Spadafore last season and said he was very happy with his development, not sure what happen, they could of both parted ways. I'm sure Spadafore has agent and looked at other opportunities and found it with Rimouski

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I read the Butler quote in the star too. Butler was keeping tabs on Spadafore’s development, which was enough for Rimouski to add to their roster.
He is just not good enough to have a spot on the Batallion over the more promising 2000-1 or 2002 1st round pick and no OHL experience to have a spot over the ‘99s or potential OA .

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I read the Butler quote in the star too. Butler was keeping tabs on Spadafore’s development, which was enough for Rimouski to add to their roster.
He is just not good enough to have a spot on the Batallion over the more promising 2000-1 or 2002 1st round pick and no OHL experience to have a spot over the ‘99s or potential OA .

I don't agree he can play in the OHL, he should of been on the team last year. North Bay current D is not promising except for Schlueting.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Idk Cub; Schlueting -1st ‘02, Simon -2nd ‘01, & Henderson -‘00, pt/g and most outstanding rookie D in GOJHL are all left shot and probably more promising than Spadafore. Add ‘99 left shots Allair -NB product with two seasons between battalion & voodoo (Allair & Butler have familiarity with one another) and King -90 OHL GP; plus, an open OA spot. I just don’t see where Spadafore fits in NB.
Maybe, Spadafore could play in the OHL; though, I think his agent and Butler would have explored trade possibilities within the OHL before exploring the Q.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Idk Cub; Schlueting -1st ‘02, Simon -2nd ‘01, & Henderson -‘00, pt/g and most outstanding rookie D in GOJHL are all left shot and probably more promising than Spadafore. Add ‘99 left shots Allair -NB product with two seasons between battalion & voodoo (Allair & Butler have familiarity with one another) and King -90 OHL GP; plus, an open OA spot. I just don’t see where Spadafore fits in NB.
Maybe, Spadafore could play in the OHL; though, I think his agent and Butler would have explored trade possibilities within the OHL before exploring the Q.
Personally think I would have rather had him then Lavallee, as they're similar players, and some are projecting Lavallee as a 7D.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Scott Walpole will hopefully post it
I may sound like a whiner but I don't get the "cone of silence" with this team. Training camp started yesterday and still no roster released to the public.

Season tickets are down again allegedly and still now in season 6 the communication with their fans is still awful. But like they did in Brampton, blame the fans.

Wake up, it's 2018 and your few remaining fans are getting tired of your lack of appreciation.

I say this season and one more max and they leave North Bay and blame the community.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I may sound like a whiner but I don't get the "cone of silence" with this team. Training camp started yesterday and still no roster released to the public.

Season tickets are down again allegedly and still now in season 6 the communication with their fans is still awful. But like they did in Brampton, blame the fans.

Wake up, it's 2018 and your few remaining fans are getting tired of your lack of appreciation.

I say this season and one more max and they leave North Bay and blame the community.

Lets hope not. The short drive to watch a few extra live games is a blessing. However Stan and the gang need to be more community minded. The fans of North Bay need to be in the loop. They are passionate and will support. A bone here and there needs to be given so that season tickets remain consistent. Don't like seeing them drop 3 consecutive years. On the bright side they drafted really well and some very good picks in the top 5. Too bad about Burghart. Very sad that its happened again where you lose a top player to injury before their time is up in the OHL.

Good luck!

WJ

Reactions: View from section 9

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I honestly don't understand the lack of advertising in the community. IIRC, the Sudbury Wolves have giant billboards at major arteries in the city--one on the Kingsway, heading right to the downtown core. What is stopping the Battalion from doing the same? Parkers' YIG is a key sponsor and owns a massive plot of land at the busiest intersection in the city...

Even in year one with their run to the finals, all of their ticket sales relied on hype in the community. That will dissipate when the public unsurprisingly becomes complacent with a seemingly average hockey club. The jury's out on the John McLellan hire, but I've yet to see anything in the community following it.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
I honestly don't understand the lack of advertising in the community. IIRC, the Sudbury Wolves have giant billboards at major arteries in the city--one on the Kingsway, heading right to the downtown core. What is stopping the Battalion from doing the same? Parkers' YIG is a key sponsor and owns a massive plot of land at the busiest intersection in the city...

Even in year one with their run to the finals, all of their ticket sales relied on hype in the community. That will dissipate when the public unsurprisingly becomes complacent with a seemingly average hockey club. The jury's out on the John McLellan hire, but I've yet to see anything in the community following it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad