North Bay Battalion 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Does anyone know where our goalie went? I know the kid is solid but he's really struggled this year it seems. Hoping he turns it around soon, perhaps a couple extra Purboo starts help overall.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
‘could’, maybe; Schlueting was ranked 16 & 20 by a couple of sites. Would he be there @29?
Sites ? like the ones that parents pay a fee to have their kid ranked , Scout.ca for a example , the London's and Greyhounds do their own scouting , and pay little attention to the pay sites or Central Scouting for that matter .
Many teams had him in the 2nd.
His agent and family could have made it known that he would only report to N Bay and teams would have passed on him till the Troops could have got him in the 2nd ....kinda like what all the good players tell Butler before every draft ( we wont report).

Greatger

May 11, 2007
Purboo is by far a better goalie than Propp. More consistant, plays the angles better and doesn't panic. He should be the #1 goaltender with Propp as the back up. Purboo will get drafted whereas Propp won't. IMO
Shoulda played Purboo last night. They'd have 2 points in there pocket today.
Also, being 2nd in the league with penalty minutes isn't helping either.

Last edited:

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
According to hockeydb.com the Battalion isn't last in attendance so far (like last year) but the number for home games seems to be stubbornly staying around the 2100 mark. At that rate, the Troops have to play about four and a half home games to equal one Knights home game. A winning record would help but the jury is still out on that one.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
According to hockeydb.com the Battalion isn't last in attendance so far (like last year) but the number for home games seems to be stubbornly staying around the 2100 mark. At that rate, the Troops have to play about four and a half home games to equal one Knights home game. A winning record would help but the jury is still out on that one.
I find attendance down in most places but London maybe it to early to get into hockey.

Poster man

May 5, 2015
Ontario
Purboo needs to start the next few games, we should of had 2 point in the bank last night. 4 very weak goals (2 goals on 6 shots in the first) CP33 needs to stand tall, forget the flop & drop, constantly out of position. Correct you are on line #17 #18 #8 real nice to see. Any rumors of Ryan O coming back to head coach the Troops??!!

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Some random notes from last night vs. Miss.:
At the risk of over-stating the obvious, and as alluded to above, average goaltending results in a win in what was a winnable game against top team in Division.
While third lines may not be difference makers in general, I believe they are usually expected to contribute offensively to some degree. Ours has 1G, 2A, 3PTS as a group total in 25 GP.
In late 3rd with goaltender pulled, team iced 5 (count ‘em, 5) forwards and 1 D. Brave move for asst. coach, could be a job-coster if head coach was watching, but I really liked the move, even though it had no impact on the outcome.
When (if?) the Peters/Walker injured return, do they both draw into the lineup? If so, who heads to the healthy scratch list? By my count there were 8D in the game. Do you remove 2 and return to standard 12F/6D combination, or continue with an 11/7 setup?
In addition to being a great scorer, JB17 has been somewhat mindful of Mike Amadio, I didn’t fully appreciate what an outstanding passer he is.
I really like Egor Postnov’s game, hopefully he can notch his first soon and get rewarded for his solid work.

Battalion Fan

Oct 12, 2017
Purboo needs to start the next few games, we should of had 2 point in the bank last night. 4 very weak goals (2 goals on 6 shots in the first) CP33 needs to stand tall, forget the flop & drop, constantly out of position. Correct you are on line #17 #18 #8 real nice to see. Any rumors of Ryan O coming back to head coach the Troops??!!
Ryan O will be the coach of Battalion soon!

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Word from Flint is NB is where Oulahan is headed back to. Hence the last minute notice the night Flint just so happened to be playing NB. Was already in the works!

Poster man

May 5, 2015
Ontario
Sure hope your right Packman & Battalion fan. I also heard that he might be going to Grand Rapids as a AC? Time will tell soon enough I guess.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
I see Stans hand in this...not a bad thing..Egor is just about ready to bust out...break in period looks over...

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Re: Ryan O. To NB

It’s probably due to my normal skepticism, but I just don’t see it, as much as I would like it to happen. Firstly, from a hockey sense, do you parachute someone in from elsewhere when there are 2 (presumably) qualified candidates on site? Secondly, and maybe more importantly, is the financial consideration. As an owner, do you take on additional salary? If SB has to relinquish the coaching reins due to medical reasons, will he take a voluntary pay cut? Probably not. If the team was drawing 3000+, maybe Mr. Abbott would take on the extra $$. At the 2200 mark, probably not.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Reliable Source?

If this is true, it could possibly have been a condition of him leaving for Flint in the first place knowing that if Butler stepped down, the job was his. Loyalty runs thick with Abbott.

However, he has a losing coaching record. Does this make him the best candidate?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It all hinges on Butler’s health right? Butler has directed the battalion hockey operations from day 1. I’m pretty certain that the future of battalion hockey operations will be decided by Butler too.

Reactions: barclayplager

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
If this is true, it could possibly have been a condition of him leaving for Flint in the first place knowing that if Butler stepped down, the job was his. Loyalty runs thick with Abbott.

However, he has a losing coaching record. Does this make him the best candidate?

Not fair in this case to judge by his record based on the group he had and the organization he was with.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not fair in this case to judge by his record based on the group he had and the organization he was with.

Sure it is. The Flint coach had more than enough time to have many high picked talented players at least improving as a team. Sure there are/were tough injuries, but a well coached team would not be a continual cellar dweller.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Mr. O. said he was leaving the head coaching job for "family and personal reasons." Do those reasons suddenly disappear if he comes here?

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Sure it is. The Flint coach had more than enough time to have many high picked talented players at least improving as a team. Sure there are/were tough injuries, but a well coached team would not be a continual cellar dweller.

Seriously? Do you pay attention to what’s going on in the rest of the league? How long was he head coach there? It doesn’t matter who coaches the team if the rest of the organization is not ran properly just like the Wolves a few years ago. If Oulahen is coming to coach, he has to coach a team that has had some not so good drafts over the past few years and he or any other prospective coach can’t be held responsible for that. All they can be expected to do is get the best they can out of the group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad