Nordstrom signed to 1-year extension ($605k)

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
I agree. He brings nothing offensively and the 4th line is less effective when he's on it. He isn't very good on the PK either.

This. Why sign him if we all know this and we have a glut of bottom 6. Maybe this is the first step to 16 back or gone. Strange we would want him back.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Just a question, but why do so many people believe Garbutt will be in the AHL? He's a fast skater, who plays with grit, and can chip in offensively. At 900k he's a fine 4th liner.

Also, why would Bowman negotiate Dallas retaining salary if he was planning on exposing Garbutt to waivers - which he'll most certainly be picked up.

Garbutt is the new Shaw, with more speed and more finish.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Just a question, but why do so many people believe Garbutt will be in the AHL? He's a fast skater, who plays with grit, and can chip in offensively. At 900k he's a fine 4th liner.

Also, why would Bowman negotiate Dallas retaining salary if he was planning on exposing Garbutt to waivers - which he'll most certainly be picked up.
My assumption is based on the following. T² and Dano are already better players than Garbutt IMHO with a lot higher ceiling (both could very likley play top-6). The only 2 remaining waiver-exempt players are Panarin and VanReimsDyk. TVR in all likleyhood stays up being the 5th best defenseman we have. All indication are Panarin is KHL or NHL, so unless his preseason blows chunks I think the 'hawks will do what they can to retain him.

Right now I don't know much Tropp but given his numbers he's AHL bound.

Morin is about as useful as breast augmentation on a zombie--he's AHL-bound.

If Panarin is KHL-bound the team can afford to roster Garbutt. If Panarin stays in the NHL Garbutt will likley have to dethrone someone. Simplest would be Nordstrom, based on cap. Garbutt is the better player but Nordstrom is a lot cheaper. That could go either way. Bickell moving solves all, but given Garbutt compared to Versteeg and Shaw (both of who have broke 20G, Garbutt hasn't), Garbutt is the inferior player. I also doubt that Garbutt dethrones Tikhonov especially if Kruger's not resgined--we'll need bottom-6 centers.

However, I think this hinges on how the 'hawks try to clear cap for Kruger.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Uhh.. Shaw has a better GpG and is way younger.

True, though Garbutt's P/60 over his career is better than Shaw, and he sees harder zone starts and a lower average TOI too.

lNMaEaU.png

They're similar players though. And considering Q could never decide what line to put Shaw on, having two Shaws will likely make him giddy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00