Nordstrom signed to 1-year extension ($605k)

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'm going to need to hear the cap hit before I decide how this makes me feel. Have way too many bottom 6 players ATM.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It will be around 600k, is my guess. 750k at the most.
Good 4th liner, gives some of the younger guys a bit more time in Rockford which isn't a terrible thing.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
I would LOVE to know what our GF was with him in the lineup and without him in the lineup.

I wish we didn't resign him.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I don't know if he's waiver-exempt or not, and that could be a bad thing. I don't mind him as a #13, but based on how they looked last year Dano and T² are a lot better than him. Add Panarin in if he looks better at the NHL level. If we have to demote 1 of those 3 because we don't have the cap to keep Officer Nordberg as #13 and Stan/Q outright refuse to risk him on waivers that would suck.

Dinking with the roster as-it-is now, with Garbutt, Tropp, and Morin in the AHL, the 'hawks have a RCH under 600k in cap space with a 21 man roster--assuming Nordstrom is the 13th. It's technically do-able, but I still think another move happens surrounding the Kruger/Versteeg/Bickell/Shaw quandry. As i Had my roster Kruger was not a part of it and Tiko/Dej were the 3/4C. Shawe could be rotated in, of course as needed but it's not ideal.

*edit* assuming 575k AAV. I am assuming he can go to about 1M without busting the cap.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Not a fan of this. The 4th line feels more effective when he isn't on it. But whatever, hopefully he'll be the 13th guy.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hopefully he comes to camp beefed up a bit. He has shown the will but his body is just too slight for him to be effective enough.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Proper cap hit for a 13th forward, which is all he is to the team.

I'm neither happy or mad about this.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Whatever.

I don't see what the team loves so much about him. But at that cap hit, who cares.

If our 4th line changes from 11-16-65, then it's most likely not for the better.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
I don't know if he's waiver-exempt or not, and that could be a bad thing. I don't mind him as a #13, but based on how they looked last year Dano and T² are a lot better than him. Add Panarin in if he looks better at the NHL level. If we have to demote 1 of those 3 because we don't have the cap to keep Officer Nordberg as #13 and Stan/Q outright refuse to risk him on waivers that would suck.

Dinking with the roster as-it-is now, with Garbutt, Tropp, and Morin in the AHL, the 'hawks have a RCH under 600k in cap space with a 21 man roster--assuming Nordstrom is the 13th. It's technically do-able, but I still think another move happens surrounding the Kruger/Versteeg/Bickell/Shaw quandry. As i Had my roster Kruger was not a part of it and Tiko/Dej were the 3/4C. Shawe could be rotated in, of course as needed but it's not ideal.

*edit* assuming 575k AAV. I am assuming he can go to about 1M without busting the cap.

Just a question, but why do so many people believe Garbutt will be in the AHL? He's a fast skater, who plays with grit, and can chip in offensively. At 900k he's a fine 4th liner.

Also, why would Bowman negotiate Dallas retaining salary if he was planning on exposing Garbutt to waivers - which he'll most certainly be picked up.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Just a question, but why do so many people believe Garbutt will be in the AHL? He's a fast skater, who plays with grit, and can chip in offensively. At 900k he's a fine 4th liner.

Also, why would Bowman negotiate Dallas retaining salary if he was planning on exposing Garbutt to waivers - which he'll most certainly be picked up.

I expect Garbutt to be a pleasant surprise for some. He is the type of player who gets the attention of the opposition and is hated around the league but loved as a teammate. He needs to play with that nastiness and in doing so stay out of the penalty box - and if he does that, he should be an asset. What will be interesting is how Q utilizes he and Shaw, assuming both are here in October (and I wouldn't assume anything when it comes to our bottom 6. We have too many capable players, not enough spots).

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
There's a difference between playing with an edge and flat out trying to hurt people. Garbutt is a total punk. He'll be on this team, unfortunately. He can play when he's not being an idiot.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
What does this mean for a Kruger extension? I don't really care about him being re-signed but it does seem like we now have A LOT of 4th liners and have zero Marcus Krugers on the team :/

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
What does this mean for a Kruger extension? I don't really care about him being re-signed but it does seem like we now have A LOT of 4th liners and have zero Marcus Krugers on the team :/

Good question. The Denault injury could complicate matters when it comes to retaining Kruger.

I expect at least one trade to take place involving our bottom 6. I just wish it would happen. The Nordstrom signing is a bit of a head scratcher... makes one wonder exactly what Stan has in mind. Is he trade bait at a cheap price, or do Hawks expect him to contend with all those other bodies looking for a job?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Bowman isn't going to let Nordstrom just walk. He was going to get a contract from us no matter what. It's not really a head scratcher. The kid has potential to be a decent 4th line shutdown guy with limited offensive upside. I don't see the issue with the signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad