Nonis

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I want a fresh start.

Nobody that makes any hockey decisions should stay. That means we clean house, from Dave Morrison, Nonis, Poulin, Cronin, Carlyle, Farrish, Gordon etc etc.

All fired.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
the clarkson contract is a fireable offense.

Buying out Komisarek who had one year left vs buying out Liles who had 3 made no sense.

Buying out Grabo to pay Clarkson even more made no sense (yes im bring up clarkson twice).

Hes traded all our second round picks for years to come (and soon to be decades).

Refuses to fire all of burkes scouts who are all idiots.

Agrees with Burkes strategy of draft 4th line grinders.

IMO he ****ed up the Kadri and Franson situations.

He ****ed up the Colbourne situation, literally traded for Colbourne jr using a 2nd after giving up colbourne for a 4th.

The holland situation makes no sense. Why play holland 25 games on the 4th line playing 4 mins a night? seriously wtf? that cost us a 2nd.

nonis has only been around for a year and ****ed everything up. He was given a great cap situation (2 buyouts included) and ****ed it up. We were in a great pick situation and he ****ed it up. We are locked into this core for better or worse.

1) Liles had more value I guess?
2) Clarkson was a bad deal, but it was a weak FA class and others would have paid more. Sucks in hindsight, but at least he tried to improve the team.
3) He got us useful pieces with the 2nd's, you don't just get valuable pieces for 7ths.
4) Colbourne was going to be sent down and wouldn't have made it through waivers. What was he suppose to do? He had no leverage.
5) I'll agree there, though if you do make a ****** move like sending him down after 20 games, it hurts your reputation which could possibly hinder future deals.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
It is not just Nonis.

Anyone below Tim Leiweke that is Leafs management related should be canned.

QFT.

The Phaneuf and Clarkson deals alone warrant Nonis getting his walking papers. $12 million on these two is laughable.

Carlyle is dead man walking now. Just a matter of when the axe falls.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think you somewhat answered your own question with "Bolland and Clarkson." Clarkson was an INSANELY bad signing, the guy has very obvious 3rd line talent, why would you give him a 1st line contract? It really makes you question his ability to evaluate talent AND his ability to negotiate, which are two very important points for a GM. The Clarkson trade wasn't too bad, but giving up a 2nd and two 4ths for essentially a 1 year rental, then not making the playoffs, does kind of suck.

Further on his negotiation talents, 8 years/$8 mil per year for Kessel and 7 years/$7 mil per year for Phaneuf aren't awful, but they're both very favourable for the players, not the Leafs. A lot of GMs manage to negotiate favourable contract, Nonis paid these guys pretty much the most they could possibly get.

The main thing, though, is that the team he put together has choked spectacularly two years in a row. The game 7 choke last year was insane, and the current 8 game pointless streak is pretty much just as insane.

I'm not sure that I fully agree we should fire him, he has made some good moves too (the Bernier trade, getting Raymond dirt cheap, Liles for Gleason, getting rid of Lombardi/Armstrong/Connolly/Komi), I'd probably give him one more year to prove he can turn us into a legit playoff team. However, I can definitely see why some fans want his head.

I think the best way to judge a contract is:

Is it tradeable?

Kessel's contract? Every team in the league would be after him so his salary is no problem.

Phaneuf? His contract is tradeable but not without eating some $$.

Clarkson? Nobody will take him, and like 10 teams would bother @ 50% retained.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think the best way to judge a contract is:

Is it tradeable?

Kessel's contract? Every team in the league would be after him so his salary is no problem.

Phaneuf? His contract is tradeable but not without eating some $$.

Clarkson? Nobody will take him, and like 10 teams would bother @ 50% retained.
Yeah, neither the Kessel or Phaneuf contracts are true bad contracts, but they're not really good contracts either. Some GMs manage to re-sign their players at discount prices, Nonis didn't do that. If Kessel and Phaenuf had gone to the UFA market, and went to the highest bidder, they'd have got roughly the same contracts.

A really strong negotiator might have got Kessel to re-sign at $7 mil per year, Phaenuf at $6.5 mil per year, and a good talent evaluator likely wouldn't have gone after Clarkson at all. I think these deals kind of "creep," now all of our UFAs will be thinking "Kessel got 8 years/$8 mil, Phaenuf got 7 years/$7 mil, and even Clarkson got 7 years/$5.25 mil! I'm not accepting any low ball offers, I wanna get PAAIIIIDDD like these guys!"

PeterIng

Jul 20, 2010
jvr Bozak Kessel
Mac Grabo Kuli
Lupul Kadri Raymond
Bodie Jay Mc Damigo

That's what our forwards would of looked like if Nonis never F#$$%@ it up.

Clarkson was the worst signing in leafs history.
The lineup posted here is a way more balanced scoring line up. I don't get why Nonis wanted to change the team after the leafs made the playoffs and were close to going to the 2nd round.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You look at the best teams in the league.
Most often their top 6 are also their best 2 way players.
Not here.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Nonis is an idiot and should be fired along with Crappy Randy but you can't blame him for not getting someone to sign a discount contract; especially Kessel. You don't nickel and dime the best player on the team. Phaneuf isn't a bad contract and would have got that in FA. The team has no system or direction which makes it hard on the players. Put Phaneuf in a well run system, and he would be earning his pay. Let him run around and you get this.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
nonis isn't going anywhere, people might as well put that out their heads

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, neither the Kessel or Phaneuf contracts are true bad contracts, but they're not really good contracts either. Some GMs manage to re-sign their players at discount prices, Nonis didn't do that. If Kessel and Phaenuf had gone to the UFA market, and went to the highest bidder, they'd have got roughly the same contracts.

A really strong negotiator might have got Kessel to re-sign at $7 mil per year, Phaenuf at $6.5 mil per year, and a good talent evaluator likely wouldn't have gone after Clarkson at all. I think these deals kind of "creep," now all of our UFAs will be thinking "Kessel got 8 years/$8 mil, Phaenuf got 7 years/$7 mil, and even Clarkson got 7 years/$5.25 mil! I'm not accepting any low ball offers, I wanna get PAAIIIIDDD like these guys!"

I don't know what it is about the Leafs but they can't seem to do one thing right. Our team is just rotten to the core.

We need to think seriously about hitting the reset button.

Kessel's value will never be higher than it is right now. We could easily get great assets from a team like Anaheim (Ottawa's pick, Lindholm and maybe more). Anaheim will need scoring after Selanne and Koivu are gone plus they upgrade on Bobby Ryan.

Dion Phaneuf salary retained could be traded to the Oilers for Gagner (not a great player but more of a cap dump), 2015 1st.

Leafs can't seem to sign players for good value, they seem to be good at trading if value in a vacuum is concerned but the trades haven't led to an improvement anywhere on the ice...so we're not trading for the right players...they can't seem to draft well outside of the obvious picks either.

It's bleak right now but we can really turn the ship around before the 100th anniversary if the Leafs are willing to trade players who we know they won't be able to win with...

I see no point in keeping Phaneuf or Kessel.

Build around Rielly, Bernier...keep JvR, Kadri, Gardiner and evaluate what we should do with them, acquire 2015 picks,. get Lindholm, 7th overall for Kessel, trade Phaneuf etc.

This team needs a complete overhaul. I don't really trust the Leafs management to somehow fix the mess because they are the ones who created it in the first place.

1) Fire management, top to bottom.
2) Trade Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul,
3) Bring up Marlies to fill holes and acquire more 2015 picks and hope to land McDavid or Eichel.

This team without Kessel and Phaneuf is certainly a McDavid candidate and with them...we're not even playoff team.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Although Dave Nonis did make some good moves, overall I don't think he is a gusty GM who is willing to make some high risk moves and to roll the dice. Making high risk move doesn't mean trading draft picks or youngsters for proven players, but could be other way around, or just simply Buy Low Sell High:

1) He could have traded Kessel (Not saying this is a bad move for extending him, but Nonis might have traded for someone more suitable to play Carlye's system)

2) He should have NOT extended Dion - Not because of his recent poor performance, but 7 years for a 29-year old is a risky move

3) He should have traded Franson LAST YEAR - Buy Low and Sell High!!

4) He should have traded CMac Last Year's dead line - But he let him walk away for nothing! Nonis traded away 2nd rounders like nothing and have no intention to get back any!

5) He should have traded Reimer Last Year or at the beginning of this year - Edmonton was a good destination for Remier and instead he just sticked to his 1a/1b goalie tandem and it backfired

6) Drafting a sure-fire 3rd liner in the 1st round of a DEEP draft is a fail

7) Gave up 3 picks for Bolland, although has more to do to bad luck, is still a fail on Nonis.

Overall, if I can only fire 1 person between Nonis and Carlye, I will choose Nonis to be canned. I still have faith in Carlye based on his resume and it is hard for a coach to get the team going when the players either unmotivated or flat out suck

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
He sure looked like he was thinking about firing Carlyle tonight from his reaction after the loss.

Posts like this are the best. None of you have anything close to a clue of what he's thinking. For all you know he's trying to remember his black berry password, or that he realized he forgot to carry the 2 when offering Clarkson his god awful contract.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Not sure if there is a thread purely on Nonis, but why do people want him fired too? I actually think he's a great GM. He makes the hard moves (sending highly paid players down), does pretty well in trades (don't remember any recent trades we've got completely ripped off in), and he actually goes out and makes moves instead of saying he'll bring change and just stand pat (Bolland and Clarkson). Of course those didn't turn out well, but Nonis is a fine GM imo. Thoughts?

No. Nonis is a ****ing awful GM. He cannot recognize team needs. Biggest issue for the team last year was defence. It always has been defence. So what does Nonis do, spends all his money and assets on guys like Clarkson and Bolland to add some grit. Not only were the Leafs one of the better offensive teams inthe league, they were also one of the toughest. So why the hell did we need to get Clarkson? Offense? Grit?

How can a mind work in that manner and completely ignore the essential demand for a dman? Nonis is a below average crappy gm. I really want to see how he's gonna handle his end of year presser. I'm hopin' the reporters tear him to shreds.

leafstilldeath*

I want a fresh start.

Nobody that makes any hockey decisions should stay. That means we clean house, from Dave Morrison, Nonis, Poulin, Cronin, Carlyle, Farrish, Gordon etc etc.

All fired.

I would also like to add Paul Hendrick to that list. That annoying little rat should go too.

Start FRESH big time.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Quinn
JFJ
Burke
Nonis

Guys there's no difference in Philosophy. Nothing has changed. Does it really matter who the next guy in will be?

This team will be lucky to make the playoffs once in the next decade.

Head's can roll, personnel can change its the same old story.

All of them think the same way. It's all about now now now with mediocre rosters. We never really see a team being built. Chasing 8th is not a successful or healthy mentality.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
1) Liles had more value I guess?
2) Clarkson was a bad deal, but it was a weak FA class and others would have paid more. Sucks in hindsight, but at least he tried to improve the team.
3) He got us useful pieces with the 2nd's, you don't just get valuable pieces for 7ths.
4) Colbourne was going to be sent down and wouldn't have made it through waivers. What was he suppose to do? He had no leverage.
5) I'll agree there, though if you do make a ****** move like sending him down after 20 games, it hurts your reputation which could possibly hinder future deals.

Such a bad, bad argument. If you see a bunch of morons offering up $200 for a lightly used dog turd, you don't celebrate when you get it for $150. Because you just spent $150 on a ****ing dog turd.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Such a bad, bad argument. If you see a bunch of morons offering up $200 for a lightly used dog turd, you don't celebrate when you get it for $150. Because you just spent $150 on a ****ing dog turd.

:handclap:

A shame more people (media included) don't understand that concept.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad