Nonis

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
Not sure if there is a thread purely on Nonis, but why do people want him fired too? I actually think he's a great GM. He makes the hard moves (sending highly paid players down), does pretty well in trades (don't remember any recent trades we've got completely ripped off in), and he actually goes out and makes moves instead of saying he'll bring change and just stand pat (Bolland and Clarkson). Of course those didn't turn out well, but Nonis is a fine GM imo. Thoughts?

ThrillinPhil

Tdot.
Jan 9, 2011
Gave out some pretty awful contracts (Clarkson and Phaneuf) That will handicap this team for a few years.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Does it matter?

Bring in the Cashman. He'll give you money for your goals

mikebel111*

Did u guys see his reaction after the game?
I think a firing is coming

mikebel111*

Well he gave away just terrible contracts to dion and clarkson. Dion has costed maybe 5 goals last 2 weeks. And dont get me started on clarkson

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Gave out some pretty awful contracts (Clarkson and Phaneuf) That will handicap this team for a few years.

I dont care about the phaneuf one, the clarkson one is brutal, clearly either clarkson is playing way below the level he was in NJ or they literally didnt scout him at all.

He's made some decent moves though, so I see no reason to fire HIM.

Carlyle should be gone if we wanna toss managment, but this team in terms of players has soooo many holes.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
the clarkson contract is a fireable offense.

Buying out Komisarek who had one year left vs buying out Liles who had 3 made no sense.

Buying out Grabo to pay Clarkson even more made no sense (yes im bring up clarkson twice).

Hes traded all our second round picks for years to come (and soon to be decades).

Refuses to fire all of burkes scouts who are all idiots.

Agrees with Burkes strategy of draft 4th line grinders.

IMO he ****ed up the Kadri and Franson situations.

He ****ed up the Colbourne situation, literally traded for Colbourne jr using a 2nd after giving up colbourne for a 4th.

The holland situation makes no sense. Why play holland 25 games on the 4th line playing 4 mins a night? seriously wtf? that cost us a 2nd.

nonis has only been around for a year and ****ed everything up. He was given a great cap situation (2 buyouts included) and ****ed it up. We were in a great pick situation and he ****ed it up. We are locked into this core for better or worse.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It is not just Nonis.

Anyone below Tim Leiweke that is Leafs management related should be canned.

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto
I don't see the comparison with Carlyle. It doesn't take 2 years to play a system, it will take time to make the changes we need. The Clarkson contract was awful. Dion's contract was necessary, and pretty much market value. The Bernier trade was good. Nonis seems to be a good trading GM (apparently the architect of the JvR/Schenn trade). Wouldn't wanna say he's a dead man walking, unless he fails to get Carlyle the **** out of town.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
He has no clear vision (or he hasn't communicated it) of what he wants this team to be.

And you know this how? Just because he hasn't said anything about it to the fans doesn't mean he doesn't have one or that it wasn't communicated to the team.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
He sure looked like he was thinking about firing Carlyle tonight from his reaction after the loss.

DaveT83*

Quinn
JFJ
Burke
Nonis

Guys there's no difference in Philosophy. Nothing has changed. Does it really matter who the next guy in will be?

This team will be lucky to make the playoffs once in the next decade.

Head's can roll, personnel can change its the same old story.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Not sure if there is a thread purely on Nonis, but why do people want him fired too? I actually think he's a great GM. He makes the hard moves (sending highly paid players down), does pretty well in trades (don't remember any recent trades we've got completely ripped off in), and he actually goes out and makes moves instead of saying he'll bring change and just stand pat (Bolland and Clarkson). Of course those didn't turn out well, but Nonis is a fine GM imo. Thoughts?

Nonis hasn't been at the Helm for too long (no pun intended)...but so far the Bernier deal does look pretty good...the Bolland one was unfortunate cause of his injury as he was actually playing awesome until he got injured..could have turned out better there but we'll never know...but his long term signings and contracts to Phaneuf and Clarkson both appear to be huge fails right now. There are those who will disagree on Phaneuf...but I still think 7 Mil for 7 years at the age of 29 was not a good move considering he's really not lead the Leafs to much as a captain and way too many defensive gafs to his game. He's never stepped up when the game matters most and he is not a solid #1 defender (Reilly in my opinion could be that guy), but Phaneuf too slow and sometimes utterly brain dead.

So overall..if Nonis owns up to his mistakes and properly cleans house..then fine...otherwise he should be fired as well.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think you somewhat answered your own question with "Bolland and Clarkson." Clarkson was an INSANELY bad signing, the guy has very obvious 3rd line talent, why would you give him a 1st line contract? It really makes you question his ability to evaluate talent AND his ability to negotiate, which are two very important points for a GM. The Clarkson trade wasn't too bad, but giving up a 2nd and two 4ths for essentially a 1 year rental, then not making the playoffs, does kind of suck.

Further on his negotiation talents, 8 years/$8 mil per year for Kessel and 7 years/$7 mil per year for Phaneuf aren't awful, but they're both very favourable for the players, not the Leafs. A lot of GMs manage to negotiate favourable contract, Nonis paid these guys pretty much the most they could possibly get.

The main thing, though, is that the team he put together has choked spectacularly two years in a row. The game 7 choke last year was insane, and the current 8 game pointless streak is pretty much just as insane.

I'm not sure that I fully agree we should fire him, he has made some good moves too (the Bernier trade, getting Raymond dirt cheap, Liles for Gleason, getting rid of Lombardi/Armstrong/Connolly/Komi), I'd probably give him one more year to prove he can turn us into a legit playoff team. However, I can definitely see why some fans want his head.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I think you somewhat answered your own question with "Bolland and Clarkson." Clarkson was an INSANELY bad signing, the guy has very obvious 3rd line talent, why would you give him a 1st line contract? It really makes you question his ability to evaluate talent AND his ability to negotiate, which are two very important points for a GM. The Clarkson trade wasn't too bad, but giving up a 2nd and two 4ths for essentially a 1 year rental, then not making the playoffs, does kind of suck.

Further on his negotiation talents, 8 years/$8 mil per year for Kessel and 7 years/$7 mil per year for Phaneuf aren't awful, but they're both very favourable for the players, not the Leafs. A lot of GMs manage to negotiate favourable contract, Nonis paid these guys pretty much the most they could possibly get.

The main thing, though, is that the team he put together has choked spectacularly two years in a row. The game 7 choke last year was insane, and the current 8 game pointless streak is pretty much just as insane.

I'm not sure that I fully agree we should fire him, he has made some good moves too (the Bernier trade, getting Raymond dirt cheap, Liles for Gleason, getting rid of Lombardi/Armstrong/Connolly/Komi), I'd probably give him one more year to prove he can turn us into a legit playoff team. However, I can definitely see why some fans want his head.

Good post man..well said.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
the clarkson contract is a fireable offense.

Buying out Komisarek who had one year left vs buying out Liles who had 3 made no sense.

Buying out Grabo to pay Clarkson even more made no sense (yes im bring up clarkson twice).

Hes traded all our second round picks for years to come (and soon to be decades).

Refuses to fire all of burkes scouts who are all idiots.

Agrees with Burkes strategy of draft 4th line grinders.

IMO he ****ed up the Kadri and Franson situations.

He ****ed up the Colbourne situation, literally traded for Colbourne jr using a 2nd after giving up colbourne for a 4th.

The holland situation makes no sense. Why play holland 25 games on the 4th line playing 4 mins a night? seriously wtf? that cost us a 2nd.

nonis has only been around for a year and ****ed everything up. He was given a great cap situation (2 buyouts included) and ****ed it up. We were in a great pick situation and he ****ed it up. We are locked into this core for better or worse.

You know i was never one to pit the blame on Nonis, but this makes alot of sense. Terrible decisions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad