TSN Radio Nonis & Poulin explain the Leafs July 1st

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
The one that stood out to me was how he said they see Holland and Frattin grabbing the 4th line spot. Many of us had them pencilled in as the 2nd line RW and 3rd line C. So they clearly have some idea of how they are going to fill that.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - _____
Komarov - ____ - Clarkson
Broll - Holland - Frattin

If they fill those two correctly, we will have a deep team that can role all 4 lines effectively.

officialmark*

Nonis is saying they got Frattin because he can play higher in the lineup than D'Amigo.

Poulin says he wants Frattin on the 4th line.

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. If the Leafs management got Frattin because they want him for the 4th line they should be canned on the spot. To trade D'Amigo for Frattin you have to think he will play with Kadri, and Lupul. I like the trade, but it sounds like the Leafs did it for the wrong reasons. I have no faith in these fools.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 5h
Nonis "your 3rd and 4th line has to contribute. Good teams have theirs playing 12 mins. You can't a 4th line that plays 3 minutes"

FINALLY!! Oh my god I'm so happy management has finally realized this.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Nonis is saying they got Frattin because he can play higher in the lineup than D'Amigo.

Poulin says he wants Frattin on the 4th line.

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. If the Leafs management got Frattin because they want him for the 4th line they should be canned on the spot. To trade D'Amigo for Frattin you have to think he will play with Kadri, and Lupul. I like the trade, but it sounds like the Leafs did it for the wrong reasons. I have no faith in these fools.

Sounded like Frattin has a higher ceiling in a lineup to me. I don't think D'Amigo will ever be a 2nd liner but Frattin eventually might.

Yesh this fanbase is borderline suicidal right now. :laugh:

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
The one that stood out to me was how he said they see Holland and Frattin grabbing the 4th line spot. Many of us had them pencilled in as the 2nd line RW and 3rd line C. So they clearly have some idea of how they are going to fill that.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - _____

If they fill those two correctly, we will have a deep team that can role all 4 lines effectively.

At the end of the day, the 2nd line wing spot will probably rotated between ALL of Komarov, Clarkson and Frattin, for various reasons.

For me the interesting thing will be to see who our 4th centerman will be.... it could be Komarov

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
At the end of the day, the 2nd line wing spot will probably rotated between ALL of Komarov, Clarkson and Frattin, for various reasons.

For me the interesting thing will be to see who our 4th centerman will be.... it could be Komarov

Or you know, we could still acquire some players? Its probably to early to assume its just going to be a rotation of those three.

tzinc

Oct 20, 2009
Leafs Nation
more nonsense > toughness

how about the Tough Defensive Blues team taking Gunnarson from us

Nonis might be worse than Burke if not just as bad lol

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - _____

Nylander in the 2nd line spot??
Better then spending big money in UFA in my books even if he only puts up 40-50 points and is a minus.

It could be Leivo too.

Tyler Biggs*

I for one am really happy with what the Leafs have accomplished. Look at some of the ugly contracts thrown out, lots of money for players that for the most part, aren't 'all-stars', albeit a few exceptions. The Leafs added more speed in Frattin, experience in Robidas (which whether injured or not will help our defence to develop as a mentor) and passion in Leo. Best of all, they didn't hand out unreasonable, un-tradeable contracts. To be honest, I'm also happy many refused to come to Toronto. It's about time this team stopped handing out 'stupid' contracts and started to develop so that players come to Toronto because they WANT TO, not because they're given a life supply of cash. GLG.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We arguably had the best July 1st in years. We didn't add a single cap-crippling contract, and while we did (slightly) overpay some of the guys, they're still generally good players.

I'm just very happy Bolland decided to chase the money. If the coaching staff doesn't fix the problems with their systems, we'll end up with a top 10 draft pick, which ins't a bad consolation prize.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
So according to them this is what we are doing so far:

JVR Bozak Kessel
Lupul Kadri Leivo
Komarov _____ Clarkson
Broll Holland Frattin
Orr

Phaneuf Franson
Gardiner Robidas
Rielly Polak
Percy Granberg

Bernier
Reimer

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
There are some positive signs

-Trying to get defenders that match up better, playing on their preferred sides maybe trying to balance the top 4 so they play even is minutes each night, rather than rely on Dion to play 28 minutes

-Trying to increase the skill level on the 4th line, and hopefully playing them 10/12 mins a night, perhaps that's looked upon by management as a possible reason we ran out of steam last year and in third periods

Still feel we need to score a 2 way 3rd line centre and possibly a 2 way winger for the top six but it looks like it's shaping up ok

Add to that no silly deals handed out this off season so far, it kinda looks like they're trying to remain competitive but also buy some time for our prospects so were not throwing them in at the deal end

Hell if we fail we just get another decent respect for the cupboard

The leafs do need to be smarter with asset management though, need to turn guys that are not in the big picture into picks/future assets

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - _____

I think this could be a motivating tactic, too. You want younger players hungry to earn their spot, not feeling entitled and having things handed to them. My guess is they'll pencil Frattin and Holland in on the 4th line, but if they really bring it in camp and in the early season I can easily see Frattin moving up to 2RW, and Holland to 3C. In the mean time we may see something like:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
up for grabs - Komarov - up for grabs
up for grabs - Holland - up for grabs

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
I think this could be a motivating tactic, too. You want younger players hungry to earn their spot, not feeling entitled and having things handed to them. My guess is they'll pencil Frattin and Holland in on the 4th line, but if they really bring it in camp and in the early season I can easily see Frattin moving up to 2RW, and Holland to 3C. In the mean time we may see something like:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
up for grabs - Komarov - up for grabs
up for grabs - Holland - up for grabs

I think it is a bit too early to know for sure. I do like the idea of competition for available spots but have a feeling that they'll be signing someone like Legwand to solidify things. I read somewhere that maybe he can play a role similar to Jared Stoll on the kings. If they bring in more vets I bet Carlyle really limits the minutes of the kids.

WhatASaveDave

Feb 3, 2010
toronto ontario
Jvr - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Booth - Legwand - Komarov
Ashton - Holland - Frattin
Orr

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas
Franson - Polak
Granberg

Bernier
Reimer

???

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Jvr - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Booth - Legwand - Komarov
Ashton - Holland - Frattin
Orr

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas
Franson - Polak
Granberg

Bernier
Reimer

???

Yup, Legwand would be a good signing and fit for us. Same with Booth as long as it was short term and low $$

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad