TSN Radio Nonis & Poulin explain the Leafs July 1st

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Using @Hope_Smoke tweets to transcribe because this dude is a machine at recaps.

Nonis Audio: http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/LL_DaveNonis_July2.mp3
Poulin Audio: http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/TD_DavePoulin_July2.mp3

Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 5h
Nonis on TSN Radio "I think last year, we said it for a few years. We like our D but didn't necessarily like how they fit together"

Nonis "it's hard to have only one right handed D. One of our targets was to get at least one right handed D."

Nonis "in Polak and Robidas they play really hard. The compete level of those guys is very high & it will rub off on our group"

Nonis "if we were to go to player every time there was something in the media I'd spend most of my day tracking them down"

Nonis "the toughness is oging to be part of the game. We have a lot of that and a lot of that coming with the Marlies"

Nonis "your 3rd and 4th line has to contribute. Good teams have theirs playing 12 mins. You can't a 4th line that plays 3 minutes"

Nonis "Josh Leivo had an excellent year. I think if he has a good summer he has a chance with us. Broll can play that heavy role"

Nonis "Frattin is a guy that can go up and down the lineup a little more than D'Amigo"

Nonis "Frattin can kill penalties as well as D'Amigo but he can play higher in the lineup"

Nonis "you can't make a player sign. We made a good offer for Bolland. The player picks where he wants to go when he's a free agent"

Nonis "there's been a lot of talk about James. If there's a deal to be made for James that makes us better then you look to do it"

Nonis "it's difficult finding quality goaltenders and we think James is one"

Nonis "Reimer is a good guy and a professional. There is no issue with him. I expect him to be at camp & I expect him to be a Leaf"

Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 4h
Nonis "if it was too much of a blow to play for a team that he [Gorges] thinks is a heavy rival I think that's odd, but that's his choice"

Nonis "we know what Randy does as a coach and how he handles players. We don't need him in there when bringing in UFAs"

Nonis "we know what guys Randy likes, but we pick the players that we feel make us a better team"

Nonis also said to expect to see guys like Broll and Devane who are guys that can play that 4th line roll at some point this year

Nonis "addressed leadership not bc we think Dion isn't a leader. But if you can add some leadership/effort into your lineup why not do it?"

Nonis "our players were thrilled we brought Leo back. They texted me to a man to to tell me how happy they were that he was coming back"

And for good measure, I'll add the Dave Pouling interview that just finished

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 11m
Poulin on TSN Radio "Bolland was a very good fit here but there is a certain number where it just doesn't work for your hockey team"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 10m
Poulin "when it come the end, Bolland chose to take the situation that was financially better for him"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 9m
Poulin [in terms of deciding against the Leafs] "I think the Gorges and Bolland situation are two isolated and very different ones"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 10m
Poulin "this is still a very desirable place to come for many players. We attracted players yesterday that chose Toronto"

Poulin "that was Gorges' choice. We can only control what we control. We didn't have a chance to chat with Gorges"

Poulin "we had a chance to chat with Robidas and he ended up choosing us over other very good options"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 8m
Poulin "important to have guys that bring guys into battle with them. I think that's a character trait that Polak, Robidas & Komarov have"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 7m
Poulin "Polak's been on our radar for awhile. When you acquire a player like that other teams contact you telling you they wanted him"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 6m
Poulin "Komarov had an opportunity last year where he was able to go to the KHL and make a lot more $ that we were able to offer"

Poulin "he went back, has that money in the bank now and is more secure now financially to come back and make less $ in the NHL"

Poulin "I think we have some players in house that can fit a couple of our openings. Frattin can potentially fill a 4th line roll"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 5m
Poulin "Holland can come in and start off and fill one of those 4th line roles"

Poulin "we'll be in the trade market and scour to see if we can fill those openings. We didn't have to fill everything yesterday"

Poulin "Reimer and Gardiner received their qualifying offers early because they couldn't get insurance for the World's without those offers"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 4m
Poulin "with all of the twitter & all the information I'm getting questions about false deadlines. No rush to get this all done in one day"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 3m
Poulin "you can't be effected by the market. You have to have a plan and not react to what other teams do."

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 3m
Poulin "Kulemin and Grabo have the same agent are close friends. We knew they wanted to be a package deal"

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Poulin "Holland can come in and start off and fill one of those 4th line roles"

With Colton Orr. He'll be thrilled

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Encouraging:

Nonis "your 3rd and 4th line has to contribute. Good teams have theirs playing 12 mins. You can't a 4th line that plays 3 minutes"

Nonis to Carlyle: "Play a fourth line that can actually take a regular shift"

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Reimer might not get traded. He has no real value, let him have a good year this year being the backup.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Encouraging:

or we're both fired. :laugh:

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Encouraging:

Carlyle to Nonis: "Give me players to do so, and the cap space to sit the ones that aren't working."

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
Toronto is a desirable place to play? What is Poulin talking about? Brian Boyle chose Tampa for less money than the Leafs. Gorges wouldn't come here and went to the worst team in the league last year. Boyle didn't come here. We got Robidas cause we overpaid for term. Same with Komarov.

Kulemin left. Raymond left. Bolland took the money. Heck, we know we weren't in on Spezza's list despite being Spezza's hometown team.

Truth is, Toronto isn't a desirable place to play.

I liked listening to Mirtle/Siegal on the Leafs Report podcast today. They hit the nail on the head. Leafs don't really know how to build a team in the way LA/St. Louis knows how. The game has evolved extremely rapidly over the last 5-7 years and the Leafs aren't there.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Toronto is a desirable place to play? What is Poulin talking about? Brian Boyle chose Tampa for less money than the Leafs. Gorges wouldn't come here and went to the worst team in the league last year. Boyle didn't come here. We got Robidas cause we overpaid for term. Same with Komarov.

Kulemin left. Raymond left. Bolland took the money. Heck, we know we weren't in on Spezza's list despite being Spezza's hometown team.

I liked listening to Mirtle/Siegal on the Leafs Report podcast today. They hit the nail on the head. Leafs don't really know how to build a team in the way LA/St. Louis knows how. The game has evolved extremely rapidly over the last 5-7 years and the Leafs aren't there.

Boyle's wife is from Tampa IIRC - that was a major deciding factor

Bolland left for the money (as he said), as did Kulemin (over $4 mill per season?), and so did Raymond (the Leafs had no interest in his contract demands)

LA and St Louis did a lot of their core from drafting and developing - yet they are are model franchises that the Leafs aren't following because the Leafs have not attracted top free agents? I fail to see the connection...

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Leafs fans have been saying this for years. Im glad that our management has finally managed to get to the same level of hockey knowledge as the average maple leaf fan.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

Spezza knew he wouldn't get traded here and for Gorges didn't come here because of the rivalry between Totonto and Montreal - couldn't see himself playing here.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Basically, management finally picked up on what fans noticed in the Boston series -- its not that we don't have the skill to score, but the bottom 6 has to play a key role for a team to be good.

Frattin and Komarov will improve the bottom 6. Both IMO are 3rd line guys, could both flank Holland.

Or if Leivo shows ready, he could slot with Komarov and Holland.

But who is our 4th line center then?

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
Using @Hope_Smoke tweets to transcribe because this dude is a machine at recaps. When the audio is up I'll add it, it's a good one. And for good measure, I'll add the Dave Pouling interview that just finished

If these guys expect Broll, a healthy scratch for almost all the AHL playoffs, to compete for a spot with the Leafs than we might as well call it a ****ing year. This management group is awful.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Leafs fans have been saying this for years. Im glad that our management has finally managed to get to the same level of hockey knowledge as the average maple leaf fan.

Now we know what Nonis was doing when the war room was empty. Reading this board.
They even said this year that you have to draft your no. 1 center.
Awesome!

buttman*

Interesting that Nonis likes Devane and Broll for the fourth line. Interesting since his coach in the AHL sat them during the playoffs...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Whenever these guys speak there is always a thought process behind it and it always sounds rational. The problem is there isn't much of a grand over arching vision and direction they consistently go in.

By committing to the unmovable pieces that make up the core by default, they've just ended up doing a huge patch job that makes sense move by move but doesn't cohere to any rational picture of a good team.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Boyle's wife is from Tampa IIRC - that was a major deciding factor

Bolland left for the money (as he said), as did Kulemin (over $4 mill per season?), and so did Raymond (the Leafs had no interest in his contract demands)

LA and St Louis did a lot of their core from drafting and developing - yet they are are model franchises that the Leafs aren't following because the Leafs have not attracted top free agents? I fail to see the connection...

thank you. I got tired of bleating this all day. Toronto sucks. forever in life and regardless what they do everyone will spin it to make it that Toronto sucks still.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Encouraging:

Nonis' job to supply the players. That conversation would never occur.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/LL_DaveNonis_July2.mp3

TSN 1050: Leafs Lunch: July 2 - Dave Nonis

Wed., Jul. 2, 2014 12:39 PM

Leafs GM, Dave Nonis joined Leafs Lunch to discuss his recent moves to set the team up for next season.

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/TD_DavePoulin_July2.mp3

TSN 1050: TSN Drive with Dave Naylor: July 2 - Dave Poulin

Wed., Jul. 2, 2014 5:18 PM

Toronto Maple Leafs VP of Hockey Operations joins Dave Naylor and Steve Simmons to chat about the Leafs moves in free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00