Non-Sharks Bay Area Sports Thread XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Baseball was my favorite sport growing up and now it's about.....4th. Distant 4th.

Just looked up, the last thing I saw (months ago) was the Giants and A's being crappy. Looks like they both fought their way back into the wild card chase? For those who have watched....do either/both have a decent shot?

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Baseball was my favorite sport growing up and now it's about.....4th. Distant 4th.

Just looked up, the last thing I saw (months ago) was the Giants and A's being crappy. Looks like they both fought their way back into the wild card chase? For those who have watched....do either/both have a decent shot?

I've never been a fan of baseball but I worked for the orioles and gained Fandom in the sense that I want them to win, not that I want to watch them win. This year I've been waking up to see notifications about them losing, but they don't just lose, they get destroyed. At this point I'm rooting for them to be the worst team of all time

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA

I'm not a real big fan of what baseball has become. Everything is swinging for the fences, home runs or strikeouts. I don't necessarily want nothing but small ball but the days of big rallies and getting guys on base and moving them around seem to be quickly becoming a thing of the past

NewMuzu24

May 28, 2018

I'm a huge A's fan and they seem to have a real shot. They've overcome an inconsistent bullpen with amazing team defense and solid hitting all through the lineup. They're buyers at the deadline so the bullpen should only get better. I think, barring injuries, they should be able to pull off a classic A's second half run. They're sitting within striking distance of the division and I think they'll land a wild card spot. Stealing the division would be a godsend so we don't have to re-invent the wheel trying to pitch through a wild card game.

Their stats indicate they'll continue doing what they're doing, but they have a pretty tough schedule the next few weeks, so this is the make or break section of the season. They have 19 games in the next 20 days all against teams currently above .500, and 15 of those against teams currently in a playoff spot. I think they're significantly better than the Giants but have a more difficult path to the playoffs because of the better teams in the AL.

I have an unhealthy disdain for the Giants, so this will be based in fact but biased. I think they won't make the playoffs and should sell at the deadline. They have a negative run differential and inconsistent play. Even though they're only 2.5 GB of the 2nd wild card, they'd have to leapfrog four teams going into today. They're buoyed by a run of winning 12 of 14, which is a surprising last few weeks.

That being said, the entire NL aside from Miami is within 5 games of a playoff spot, so with everyone being mediocre besides the Dodgers and Braves, anything can happen. They have another run of winning 8 of 10 or something like that and they're likely jumping into a WC spot.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Giants have a decent shot simply because the National League this year is so very mediocre after the Dodgers and Braves. I'm glad they finally smartened up and put Belt at the top of the lineup so their better hitters have people on base to drive in. It's a big part of what's got them on this hot streak they're on.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
A's are so much better than the Giants it isn't even funny. It's no coincidence that they've gotten better results as they gotten healthier.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
A's are so much better than the Giants it isn't even funny. It's no coincidence that they've gotten better results as they gotten healthier.

Being better than the Giants isn't a high bar. The Giants at this point are more or less getting the most out of their roster with the lineup changes made and are on a hot streak. They're 19-6 since they started regularly putting Belt in the lead off spot that they should've done years ago honestly. lol

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Being better than the Giants isn't a high bar. The Giants at this point are more or less getting the most out of their roster with the lineup changes made and are on a hot streak. They're 19-6 since they started regularly putting Belt in the lead off spot that they should've done years ago honestly. lol
A's aren't world beaters or anything. Was more just providing insight to STDC on the current state of the teams in comparison to one another.

Oakland isn't going anywhere unless they can get a guy like Madbum to pitch the wc game.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
A's aren't world beaters or anything. Was more just providing insight to STDC on the current state of the teams in comparison to one another.

Oakland isn't going anywhere unless they can get a guy like Madbum to pitch the wc game.

And I would hope the two teams could work out a deal to make something like that happen. As good as the Giants have been the past month, they need to look to the future.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
And I would hope the two teams could work out a deal to make something like that happen. As good as the Giants have been the past month, they need to look to the future.
It would likely cost one of Puk or Luzardo, and it would be an extremely difficult decision for the A's to make.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd say they're (potentially) great assets. Both have ace stuff.

I tend to agree but I have my doubts that the Giants have it in them to pull the trigger on something like that. Given how the past couple seasons have went, they're probably more likely to let it ride out than be proactive about their future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad