Non-Sharks Bay Area Sports Thread XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Same. All of these "superteams" makes the league have no parity. Also, I feel like the NBA has more bandwagoning compared to other sports. If Boston wins tonight, the last four standing would be so predictable. Not to mention all of the egos and stuff too.

There are no more egos in the NBA than there are in the NHL.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I disagree...there might be a few guys similar to LeBron, but there aren't that many guys in the NHL on Westbrook's level.

Really depends on your definition of ego, I suppose. In sports, "ego" has a suspiciously high correlation with "being black".

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Really depends on your definition of ego, I suppose. In sports, "ego" has a suspiciously high correlation with "being black".

I'm having a very hard time thinking of a star NHL player with an ego like Lebron. And that's not even as bad as players like Westbrook or Cousins.

It doesn't depend on the definition of "ego" unless you're trying to make it into a superficial SJW agenda. The NBA is just a predominantly black league; it has nothing to do with "being black". Chris Paul, Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, James Harden (even if I hate that guy) are all star players that don't have those portrayed egos.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Johnny Manziel and JJ Watts have pretty big egos. Albeit one's an ******* and one's mr. humblebrag. But the NFL's got a whole lot of crazy culture stuff.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Johnny Manziel and JJ Watts have pretty big egos. Albeit one's an ******* and one's mr. humblebrag. But the NFL's got a whole lot of crazy culture stuff.

Yeah, I wouldn't use ego as an argument against the NBA specifically since it isn't the only sport, I just wouldn't equate the NHL with the NBA.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm having a very hard time thinking of a star NHL player with an ego like Lebron. And that's not even as bad as players like Westbrook or Cousins.

It doesn't depend on the definition of "ego" unless you're trying to make it into a superficial SJW agenda. The NBA is just a predominantly black league; it has nothing to do with "being black". Chris Paul, Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, James Harden (even if I hate that guy) are all star players that don't have those portrayed egos.

This isn't a "SJW agenda" :)shakehead). It's an opinion. But do you think it's a coincidence that black NHLers tend to be described as having egos?

You can call it an ego. I call it a personality.

And there's also a humongous difference between basketball and hockey inherently. In basketball, a single player can win a game. In hockey, even the best players only play 30 or 40 percent of the game at most. Superstars in basketball are much more important than superstars in hockey and some of those "egos" reflect that.

Patrick Kane's ego is worse than LeBron. But if you're only taking into account things said in post-game interviews, than I guess Kane does say all the "right" things.

Um...what about guys like Durant, Curry, Thompson, Thomas, Kawhi, etc.?

I honestly don't know how to respond to this. What is even your point?

And let's be totally honest: if Curry were an NHLer, his "ego" would be lambasted. He made some joke about his coach, obviously there's a problem in the room. He celebrated too much, he's selfish and only cares about personal achievements.

LeBron was crucified for saying "I" too many times in an interview. Are you sensing a pattern?

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
This isn't a "SJW agenda" :)shakehead). It's an opinion. But do you think it's a coincidence that black NHLers tend to be described as having egos?

You can call it an ego. I call it a personality.

And there's also a humongous difference between basketball and hockey inherently. In basketball, a single player can win a game. In hockey, even the best players only play 30 or 40 percent of the game at most. Superstars in basketball are much more important than superstars in hockey and some of those "egos" reflect that.

Patrick Kane's ego is worse than LeBron. But if you're only taking into account things said in post-game interviews, than I guess Kane does say all the "right" things.

I honestly don't know how to respond to this. What is even your point?

And let's be totally honest: if Curry were an NHLer, his "ego" would be lambasted. He made some joke about his coach, obviously there's a problem in the room. He celebrated too much, he's selfish and only cares about personal achievements.

LeBron was crucified for saying "I" too many times in an interview. Are you sensing a pattern?

Why are you even talking about black NHLers now? We're talking about egos in the NBA. Not to mention I never heard of ego talks for players like Iginla, Weekes, Ward, Okposo, Grier, etc.

It's a baseless out-of-the-blue opinion for the NBA, coming from a poster with a history of those types of posts, making it seem like an agenda. You see some criticism of players like Westbrook and you tunnel-vision towards "racism" as your main argument despite the numerous examples otherwise.

Dmitry's point was that how can it be a "black people" thing when you take into account all the players he mentioned? Rangershark believes the NBA has more egos than the NHL (yet I only see Patrick Kane as an example). You claimed that as untrue, ridiculously equating egos with being black. Again, if that's the case, why do we have so many examples of NBA players who don't have "egos"?

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
To be fair, I have heard the ego thing with Joel Ward but you get that with pro athletes in general. Heatley came off as that kind of guy. Nabby was absolutely that kind of guy.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
If NHLers were allowed to display an semblance of a personality you'd hear a lot more talk about "egos." It's both a blessing and a curse that the culture of hockey encourages players to be as vanilla as possible.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
If NHLers were allowed to display an semblance of a personality you'd hear a lot more talk about "egos." It's both a blessing and a curse that the culture of hockey requires players to be as vanilla as possible.

There seems to be a real "nail that sticks out gets hammered down" thing going on with the NHL.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
There seems to be a real "nail that sticks out gets hammered down" thing going on with the NHL.

Indeed. Sean Avery, who I thought was supremely entertaining, got suspended INDEFINITELY for using the phrase "sloppy seconds." I can't imagine that happening in the NBA, NFL, or MLB. A lot of NHL fans/brass would say that's a good thing and that's what separates the sport from others, but those same people complain when the phrase "get pucks deep" is used a dozen times during an interview. The NHL doesn't allow for personalities to shine through the way other leagues do and that's a shame.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Indeed. Sean Avery, who I thought was supremely entertaining, got suspended INDEFINITELY for using the phrase "sloppy seconds." I can't imagine that happening in the NBA, NFL, or MLB. A lot of NHL fans/brass would say that's a good thing and that's what separates the sport from others, but those same people complain when the phrase "get pucks deep" is used a dozen times during an intermission interview. The NHL doesn't allow for personalities to shine through the way other leagues do and that's a shame.

Sean Avery's baggage and reputation that played into that suspension has more to do with stupid things he's done on the ice more than it does showing his personality. The Avery Rule is complete horsecrap where I would agree that it does suppress personality to some extent. This is the same guy who mocked Dustin Brown for his lisp because he was going after his girlfriend for not being glamorous enough to be a hockey player's girlfriend in Hollywood. Even with the personality oppression that seems to be there to me, even Avery has crossed a more liberal line of professional conduct on numerous occasions during his career.

I tend to agree with the argument of suppressing personalities in hockey but Avery is not a good example of that. I think Ovechkin was at one point a good example of that when they lambasted his celebrations at certain points.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest

Well this is my definition "Ego" -

Ego-The-Living-Planet1.jpg

Couldn't resist! :laugh:

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Sean Avery's baggage and reputation that played into that suspension has more to do with stupid things he's done on the ice more than it does showing his personality. The Avery Rule is complete horsecrap where I would agree that it does suppress personality to some extent. This is the same guy who mocked Dustin Brown for his lisp because he was going after his girlfriend for not being glamorous enough to be a hockey player's girlfriend in Hollywood. Even with the personality oppression that seems to be there to me, even Avery has crossed a more liberal line of professional conduct on numerous occasions during his career.

I tend to agree with the argument of suppressing personalities in hockey but Avery is not a good example of that. I think Ovechkin was at one point a good example of that when they lambasted his celebrations at certain points.

Thing is, Avery didn't do a whole lot of stupid stuff on the ice outside of chirping guys. I agree that he was by all accounts a d-bag with an abrasive personality who crossed the line many times with both teammates and opponents, and that likely factored into his suspension. That said, guys like Matthew Barnaby were praised for the same kinds of things 20 years ago. But I digress, we're in agreement on the topic of NHL personality suppression which was my main point.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Cousins just really wants to win. If he didn't start with an absolute joke of a franchise then people would have a different opinion of him. All I hear is people call him a problem and a thug, yet he has never been arrested in his life. It's passion if you're on a winner (Draymond), ego.if you're on a loser (Boogie).

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Dmitry's point was that how can it be a "black people" thing when you take into account all the players he mentioned?

Yep, this. There are plenty of guys with personality in the NBA like Thomas, but he isn't at all like Westbrook. If you are looking for a hockey analogy, Thomas is Subban and Westbrook is more like Patrick Kane (not in terms of assault, etc. but in terms of how he comes across as a person in interviews and on the ice).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Cousins just really wants to win. If he didn't start with an absolute joke of a franchise then people would have a different opinion of him. All I hear is people call him a problem and a thug, yet he has never been arrested in his life. It's passion if you're on a winner (Draymond), ego.if you're on a loser (Boogie).

I question whether Cousins just really wants to win but I wouldn't say that his issues are ego-driven. I think his issues are maturity-driven. He's just a man-baby but I don't see his ego being a problem.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
The NBA draft lottery is tonight. Sacramento has a 2.8% chance of getting the first pick. If New Orleans doesn't move into the top three, the Kings get their first.

Edit: The 76ers can apparently swap picks with the Kings, and if the pick falls out of the top 10, it goes to the Bulls.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The NBA draft lottery is tonight. Sacramento has a 2.8% chance of getting the first pick. If New Orleans doesn't move into the top three, the Kings get their first.

Edit: The 76ers can apparently swap picks with the Kings, and if the pick falls out of the top 10, it goes to the Bulls.

The Sixers can only swap picks with the Kings if the Kings leapfrog them. Also, if the Pelicans pick goes outside the top three, the Kings get it according to Wiki.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
The Warriors scored 136 points in a playoff game, and not in my copy of 2k, like in real life

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
The Warriors scored 136 points in a playoff game, and not in my copy of 2k, like in real life

and without a bench guy and a starter. Ok Zsa Zsa not really much of starter but no Andre either.

Now let's how it will go for them in Texas Saturday.

Man this 3 day break is some BS all so ABC (edit, ok not ABC) can have a prime time game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad