GDT: Non-Panthers NFL Discussion part 2: Commence rookie QBs

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I can't imagine Mahomes misses next week. Everyone in the world wants him to play, except some Bills fans who want the easy path to the SB. The league does have "protocols" but we've seen before that they don't actually value player health/safety over ratings, and I just can't see them holding Mahomes out unless he can't remember his own name on Sunday morning. Drooling over himself and not knowing his name or where he is? Yeah he'd be held out. But a slight headache or occasional dizziness (or other minor symptoms)? He's playing. Too much money/legacy at stake for the league, Chiefs and Mahomes to not let him play next week.

If he plays though how healthy will he be? That's what I was getting at. If he's at 100% we have a ballgame, if not well, I shake the magic 8 ball and it tells me "Outlook don't look good"

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Difference is Mayfield is a much better option at QB than Bortles ever was. I'd expect to see them in the playoffs again next season, or at the very least be in contention for them as long as everyone is healthy.

I'd take that 2017 Jags defense over Mayfield if I had to choose. Of course the Jags defense fell apart immediately, and yeah I completely agree that that is less likely to happen to Mayfield so may not be the best comparison. But I still am not convinced that Baker is a top tier QB and one who will keep them in contention by himself. The rest of the team around him has many concerns. We'll see what happens in the next few years. I wouldn't be shocked if the Browns continue to make the playoffs and prove me wrong, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see them back to 6-8 wins next year either to be honest.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
If he plays though how healthy will he be? That's what I was getting at. If he's at 100% we have a ballgame, if not well, I shake the magic 8 ball and it tells me "Outlook don't look good"

I can't think of a time I saw a player in the NFL noticeably "limited" because of a concussion... The concern with concussions is more long term, it's not like a lingering soft tissue issue or sprain that can hamper a player in the short term. It'll certainly be an interesting week to follow along; I wouldn't want to be a Chiefs fan this week.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'd take that 2017 Jags defense over Mayfield if I had to choose. Of course the Jags defense fell apart immediately, and yeah I completely agree that that is less likely to happen to Mayfield so may not be the best comparison. But I still am not convinced that Baker is a top tier QB and one who will keep them in contention by himself. The rest of the team around him has many concerns. We'll see what happens in the next few years. I wouldn't be shocked if the Browns continue to make the playoffs and prove me wrong, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see them back to 6-8 wins next year either to be honest.

You could be right. I expect the Steelers to fall back next season (aka not even sniff .500) and the Bengals are still rebuilding. That should have the Browns in a solid spot w/ Baltimore for the AFC North crown next season, but who knows what kind of offseason the Browns will have. This is a league where "worst to first" and sometimes vice-versa isn't uncommon.

That Jags defense was something else, it was built for the present and future and it all fell to shit. Personally I blame the downfall on that interview Ramsey did for GQ, the one where he called Luck, Ryan, Flacco, Allen etc. "trash", the arrogance trickled down to the rest of the team. There's also Coughlin who pissed off the NFLPA but that happened afterwards.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That Alex Smith story on 60 minutes. Wow. I knew he had a bad injury, but never knew the level of problems he had and what he had to go through.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
As a Browns fan, and I love Baker but Kevin Stephanski is the reason the Browns are contenders and will be for a long time. Dude is legit
The Browns had a great season! Congrats and hopefully they can keep it up. In my opinion, the NFL is fun when the Browns are barking!

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
He uhhhh kinda butchered today’s game tho.

He got out coached, thats true. Butchered IDK about that he was going up an offensive juggernaut with a head coach who has spent almost every season coaching deep into the playoffs as a rookie head coach and lost by 5

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Playoff win totals-

Brady 32
Montana 16
Contemporaries...
Big Ben 13
Rodgers 11
Brees 9

This stat blows my mind. It’s f’ing unbelievable how hard it is to lap the field like this. First ballot HOF’ers and they’re not even close.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Playoff win totals-

Brady 32
Montana 16
Contemporaries...
Big Ben 13
Rodgers 11
Brees 9

This stat blows my mind. It’s f’ing unbelievable how hard it is to lap the field like this. First ballot HOF’ers and they’re not even close.
Now imagine this stat, if Old Manning had only daughters.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
He got out coached, thats true. Butchered IDK about that he was going up an offensive juggernaut with a head coach who has spent almost every season coaching deep into the playoffs as a rookie head coach and lost by 5

Stefanski has impressed me so far for sure, but as other Panthers fans here will know all too well sometimes it's best to temper expectations. I thought Rivera was the best coach in the league in 2013 and 2015... Never really amounted to much though ultimately. And you guys probably lose by quite a bit more than 5 if Mahomes didn't get hurt. But still a very impressive season and I definitely hope the Browns can keep it up going forward. The AFC needs some new blood in the playoffs each year.

Reactions: Derailed75

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
If you have 2 kids you don’t know about (roughly average amount based on maths) then you have 2 playoff wins?

1. There is no way that the average man has two kids they don't know about.

2. There is no way that I have any kids that I don't know about, having been in close enough proximity to all previous sexual partners within a nine month period to know conclusively.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Hopefully one of Rivers kids becomes to Football what Steph Curry is to Basketball. If not he can always just try again :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad