Non-Minnesota NHL News XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Your post pretty much proves my point, at least as far as draft positioning goes. Yes, Seguin was drafted #2 but Dallas traded for him. He wasn't the player in Boston that he is now in Dallas. Forsberg was 11th overall and Nashville traded for him. Tarasenko was drafted 16th. Kane and MacKinnon were #1 overall picks. My point wasn't that the other teams in the central don't have superstars; it was that you don't need a top pick to get one.

Trusting the current management and scouting staff to find one is a whole other story.

the point both of us are making is every team in the division has superstars and they wont be going anywhere for a long time, doesnt matter how they acquired them but they have them and the Wild dont have anyone

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
the point both of us are making is every team in the division has superstars and they wont be going anywhere for a long time, doesnt matter how they acquired them but they have them and the Wild dont have anyone

And have proven incapable of finding or otherwise acquiring one.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Gotcha. Was mistaken. Thought you were talking about the draft slots. Yeah, I suppose we are ****ed then in that regard.

Winnipeg doesnt have that superstar yet, but with the 2nd pick and an already highly touted prospect pool they likely will.

Hopefully Fletcher can pull off something this summer

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Good for the Leafs I suppose. Just glad Edmonton didn't get it.

But on the other hand, maybe we could have picked off Draisaitl then..

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We are quickly going to become the worst team in the central year after year. Especially when Parise and Suter start slowing down, I mean, we barely have the firepower to compete now.

Then I guess we'll end up getting our young star after all.

Weird how Winnipeg got theirs without going through a "proper rebuild".

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Weird how Winnipeg got theirs without going through a "proper rebuild".

Within roughly a year, Winnipeg traded Andrew Ladd, Jay Harrison, Matt Fraser, Jason Kasdorf, Zach Bogosian, and Evander Kane for Mark Dano, 1st round in 2016, Brendan Lemieux, Joel Armia, Drew Stafford, Tyler Myers and a 2015 1st round pick.

That's a lot of youth coming in and some big contracts and older players heading out. Not a proper rebuild, but they moved a lot of players for futures.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Within roughly a year, Winnipeg traded Andrew Ladd, Jay Harrison, Matt Fraser, Jason Kasdorf, Zach Bogosian, and Evander Kane for Mark Dano, 1st round in 2016, Brendan Lemieux, Joel Armia, Drew Stafford, Tyler Myers and a 2015 1st round pick.

That's a lot of youth coming in and some big contracts and older players heading out. Not a proper rebuild, but they moved a lot of players for futures.

Ladd was the only "rebuild" trade. Kane/Bogosian/Myers was a hockey deal in which some futures were included, but they traded away two guys in their mid-20's, one of which was deemed to be a problem. The other names are nothing. Kasdorf?

Point is, the they didn't build their team to finish last, as some here are wanting us to do.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
There's rumblings of the draft age potentially going up to 19 eventually. I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, I really like it, because you'll have a much better idea about some of the guys getting drafted instead of it being a crapshoot after the top 10. But for guys like McDavid, what is he supposed to do? He probably wouldn't have improved at all playing in a league he already absolutely tore up a year earlier.

Not to mention they better give teams like a three year warning, because draft picks that first year will be almost worthless. You'd be choosing between all of the players that weren't good enough to be drafted the previous year.

So I don't know.. someone convince me one way or the other.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Top end Canadians would go to Europe.

I would be in favor of a "special exemption committee" as well, same as Canada has for 15 year olds. McDavid would be able to apply for early drafting.

I doubt the NCAA would change their policy on Canadian juniors, but that would help as well.

Getting the extra year to scout should help, in theory, but I'm fine with 18.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Jagr coming back for another year! He's 44 at the moment, had more goals this year than anyone on our team, and should take over 2nd place all time in points. Incredible.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
So with Ottawa having hired Boucher, where do we think Yeo will land? What team that needs a coach does he fit best with?

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
I think his likeliest off-season hiring would be Calgary. I think if Vancouver got the balls to fire Desjardins, then he could definitely go there too.

I think those are his best off-season options honestly. Other than that, yeah, being available for the inevitable early season coach firing of some team.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I think he's probably the best coach available at the moment. If he can fix some of the stuff that didn't work here, like I think he will, he's going to be one hell of a coach.

Like I said prior to him getting fired here, him getting fired would likely benefit him as much as us because it would force him to look back and figure out what went wrong and to take steps to fix that part of his coaching style. It sounded like he absolutely nailed the Ottawa interview, but I'm guessing Boucher was willing to take the least money of all three candidates. Sounds like that's a huge factor over there because they have a rather cheap owner. Boudreau's own daughter and granddaughter were absolutely ripping the Sens on twitter after they blew the chance to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad