Non-Minnesota NHL News IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Except I stopped hearing the rumors about Seattle getting a team about two months ago. Right at the same time as I started hearing Houston as the next "expansion" not for a relocation.

In the end, this will all be determined by who has the fattest checkbook...
The only reason you are not hearing much right now is because the basketball team has to fall into place first, that is currently working itself out in the NBA. The moment the basketball situation is taken care of you will immediately hear a whole lot again about Seattle. That could happen as soon as the end of April.

If the basketball end of it is completed then you can 100% count on the NHL in Seattle whether it be the Yotes or an expansion team.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Seattle could, and should get a team. They just need a good rink placed in a good spot.

There are a lot of midwesterners that live in Seattle, as well as Canadians. Seattle is also a huge weekend destination spot for Canadians from all over Western Canada. That, and many people in Seattle like more alternative sports to football and basketball, etc. I could see the Hipsters getting into hockey. There's a reason waterpolo and soccer are so popular over there.

Little known fact: Seattle had the first ever U.S. Stanley Cup winning team. Not that anyone there knows that...
Water polo? LMAO....been in Seattle for 9 years now and have yet to come across any water polo at all or even heard of it being played here.

There are legions of hockey fans here in this state, there are 4 WHL teams and another in Portland. Vancouver is just a couple hours away.

Hipsters don't drive what is popular around here, they tend to shy away from that and honestly there are more hipsters in uptown then in Seattle, we ship them to Portland.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Seattle could, and should get a team. They just need a good rink placed in a good spot.

There are a lot of midwesterners that live in Seattle, as well as Canadians. Seattle is also a huge weekend destination spot for Canadians from all over Western Canada. That, and many people in Seattle like more alternative sports to football and basketball, etc. I could see the Hipsters getting into hockey. There's a reason waterpolo and soccer are so popular over there.

Little known fact: Seattle had the first ever U.S. Stanley Cup winning team. Not that anyone there knows that...

The Metropolitans. Seattle needs an NHL team, because they've already won a cup.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Seattle's population shift toward more non-traditionally hockey fan demographics has been pretty big. That might give them pause. I think that's the reason some people have given up on certain parts of Ontario as well.

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
Seattle has the 12th largest adult hockey league participation in the US. Can't think of another city in the US that doesn't have an NHL franchise that would have better demographics than Seattle.

Wonder if the Yotes could play in Key Arena next year as a temporary home, assuming the Kings move to Seattle and construction begins on a new stadium in Sodo. Would think the league would want to get out from owning the Yotes sooner rather than later.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Seattle has the 12th largest adult hockey league participation in the US. Can't think of another city in the US that doesn't have an NHL franchise that would have better demographics than Seattle.

Wonder if the Yotes could play in Key Arena next year as a temporary home, assuming the Kings move to Seattle and construction begins on a new stadium in Sodo. Would think the league would want to get out from owning the Yotes sooner rather than later.
Key arena has blacked out dates and has said they could host the NHL for a couple of years if needed. Chris Hansen has also pledged money to due some needed work on Key to prepare it for hosting NBA and NHL. I personally think the league is going to suck it up for at least a year and keep the Yotes in Phoenix so the team would only have to spend one season at Key, it is absolutely horrible for hockey.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Key Arena is beyond help

The re-hab it went under in 90's makes hockey very horrible to watch with many poorly angled/obstructed seats

NHL might suck it up for a year but not more then that

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Key Arena is beyond help

The re-hab it went under in 90's makes hockey very horrible to watch with many poorly angled/obstructed seats

NHL might suck it up for a year but not more then that
They have numerous times in the past shown the willingness to have teams in less then standard arenas. San Jose played in the Cow Palace and i believe Carolina played in a pretty crappy facility as well, or it might have been Tampa.

Bottom line though is they have time because they have to wait for the NBA anyways which almost assuredly extends their stay in Phx at least one more season.

pbunder

Jul 5, 2010
Minnesota
Oilers take the Blues 3-0

So I was reading through the Oilers-Blues GDT (Oilers). Never seen an angrier bunch while winning 3-0. I guess the rebuild isn't going well.

SPMaximus

Apr 29, 2011
Key arena has blacked out dates and has said they could host the NHL for a couple of years if needed. Chris Hansen has also pledged money to due some needed work on Key to prepare it for hosting NBA and NHL. I personally think the league is going to suck it up for at least a year and keep the Yotes in Phoenix so the team would only have to spend one season at Key, it is absolutely horrible for hockey.

To Catch a Predator must have made a killing

goatvindaloo

May 11, 2012
Shenandoah Valley
Even Luongo can't be bothered to watch this game.
BGVX1t0CcAA4xGL.jpg:large

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
found a stream and I've been watching for 4 minutes and I've already seen a couple dive attempts.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Has the rest of the game been like this? Cause this feels like teams that are evenly matched. At least since I started watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad