Non-Hockey Sports Thread XVI - Vikings Failure Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I can't wait, tomorrow is racecar day. Monaco (F1), Indy 500, and the 600 in Charlotte (NASCAR).

I've only been to one (Monaco) of these races live. Bucketlist type thing is to make it to the other two sometime in my life.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
NASCAR is ruined for me now that it's just stage racing.

Can't even call the 600 the endurance challenge it was anymore. Stage racing is for local Saturday races, not top level NASCAR.

I used to hardly miss a race, now I can hardly stand to watch. I watched a little of the Daytona 500...a little off a race here and there, but the needles rule changes just took away everything that made NASCAR great.

Not interested at all anymore.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
NASCAR is ruined for me now that it's just stage racing.

Can't even call the 600 the endurance challenge it was anymore. Stage racing is for local Saturday races, not top level NASCAR.

I used to hardly miss a race, now I can hardly stand to watch. I watched a little of the Daytona 500...a little off a race here and there, but the needles rule changes just took away everything that made NASCAR great.

Not interested at all anymore.

I'm feeling the same way. But i'll watch the 600 to finish off the day after F1 and Indy. I've watched a little of the races, but nothing more than 20 mins per race.

I did watch the All-star race last weekend. Well it was on the tv and I took a nap...

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's nice to see the 3 car in Victory Lane at Charlotte. Brings back a lot of good memories of a different driver of that car.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Did you guys see that crash in the Indy 500 (I think?) today? That was insane. Seems crazy the driver is still alive, and he walked away uninjured.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Did you guys see that crash in the Indy 500 (I think?) today? That was insane. Seems crazy the driver is still alive, and he walked away uninjured.

That was a nasty crash, the car (if you can call it that afterwards) ended up with only one wheel. And another guy drove under the airborne car without getting touched. So many bad things could have happened if the car was a foot in another direction multiple times.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It's nice to see the 3 car in Victory Lane at Charlotte. Brings back a lot of good memories of a different driver of that car.

Good to hear, that different driver is why I loved NASCAR so much for so long and would never miss a race... didn't watch a single second of it this year... first time in a LONG TIME I had no interest in the 600. If NASCAR ever decides to go back to what made them great I might come back, but I don't think they'd ever admit they screwed it up in the first place.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
Good to hear, that different driver is why I loved NASCAR so much for so long and would never miss a race... didn't watch a single second of it this year... first time in a LONG TIME I had no interest in the 600. If NASCAR ever decides to go back to what made them great I might come back, but I don't think they'd ever admit they screwed it up in the first place.

I believe the plan is to remove the front splitter off next season. The personalities are there. Logano, Keselowski, Kyle Busch, Larsson, Elliot and Blaney.

They got to get back to exciting racing. What I believe really killed it was impounding the car after practices/one engine per weekend/same tires to start as qualifying. I enjoyed seeing X star driver not working on qualifying in practice and starting 28th while Todd Bodine is on pole because he wasnt locked into the field.

When they thought the quality teams starting in front was a good thing was when it got boring. Oh, and sealing off the splitter. The races are won on the computers data and air tunnel.

*not proofreading

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I believe the plan is to remove the front splitter off next season. The personalities are there. Logano, Keselowski, Kyle Busch, Larsson, Elliot and Blaney.

They got to get back to exciting racing. What I believe really killed it was impounding the car after practices/one engine per weekend/same tires to start as qualifying. I enjoyed seeing X star driver not working on qualifying in practice and starting 28th while Todd Bodine is on pole because he wasnt locked into the field.

When they thought the quality teams starting in front was a good thing was when it got boring. Oh, and sealing off the splitter. The races are won on the computers data and air tunnel.

*not proofreading
That and the chase and the lucky dog (why the hell can't they race to the caution flag? Never had an incident doing that that I recall), now the stages...

Green Flag stops had such huge implications!

They're trying to choreograph the entire race... and it's just made the entire thing feel like a stupid gimmick.

What's next, inverting the field after each stage? :facepalm:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
That and the chase and the lucky dog (why the hell can't they race to the caution flag? Never had an incident doing that that I recall), now the stages...

Green Flag stops had such huge implications!

They're trying to choreograph the entire race... and it's just made the entire thing feel like a stupid gimmick.

What's next, inverting the field after each stage? :facepalm:

The Chase is on version 7 or something now.

They are on the 3rd different points system in the last few years.

Max of 40 cars (they are at 39 a lot of races) and not 43 anymore.

"Stock cars" that look nothing like the showroom model. The Monties and T-Birds were a stretch, but you could still see the differences between them from the nosebleeds.

I miss drivers having to earn their laps back. Lapped cars on the inside or in front of the leader because of pit stops.

I hear ya. I watched the 600 (because racecar day), and part of the Daytona 500 to see how I liked the changes for the season. Wasn't impressive, just a set time for commercial breaks.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The Chase is on version 7 or something now.

They are on the 3rd different points system in the last few years.

Max of 40 cars (they are at 39 a lot of races) and not 43 anymore.

"Stock cars" that look nothing like the showroom model. The Monties and T-Birds were a stretch, but you could still see the differences between them from the nosebleeds.

I miss drivers having to earn their laps back. Lapped cars on the inside or in front of the leader because of pit stops.

I hear ya. I watched the 600 (because racecar day), and part of the Daytona 500 to see how I liked the changes for the season. Wasn't impressive, just a set time for commercial breaks.
The real stupid thing about the chase, NASCAR fans never asked for such a thing in the first place! The point system was completely fine the way it was! Rewards running well ALL SEASON LONG instead of just a race here and there... to get in some arbitrary so called "playoff" that is anything BUT.

It was only those who didn't watch racing in the first place who thought it odd that NASCAR had their superbowl at the start of the season instead of the end of it.

NASCAR listened to non-NASCAR fans to create something NASCAR fans had no desire for... in hopes of boosting ratings, and surprise... it's only hurt ratings more and more every year... thus the changes they make to it so damn often that even those trying to hang on to their fandom have no clue what is gained by what anymore.

Now you look at the empty stands and the ratings numbers and NASCAR is trying anything and everything to bring in new fans... when all the changes they make continue to alienate their base in the first place.

They AREN'T bringing in new fans, and all they have done is chase away the old!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The real stupid thing about the chase, NASCAR fans never asked for such a thing in the first place! The point system was completely fine the way it was! Rewards running well ALL SEASON LONG instead of just a race here and there... to get in some arbitrary so called "playoff" that is anything BUT.

It was only those who didn't watch racing in the first place who thought it odd that NASCAR had their superbowl at the start of the season instead of the end of it.

NASCAR listened to non-NASCAR fans to create something NASCAR fans had no desire for... in hopes of boosting ratings, and surprise... it's only hurt ratings more and more every year... thus the changes they make to it so damn often that even those trying to hang on to their fandom have no clue what is gained by what anymore.

Now you look at the empty stands and the ratings numbers and NASCAR is trying anything and everything to bring in new fans... when all the changes they make continue to alienate their base in the first place.

They AREN'T bringing in new fans, and all they have done is chase away the old!

It'll get worse next year. Dale Jr will be retired. Gordon is doing the tv thing. Smoke is just an owner now. Mid-level stars like Edwards and Biffle are gone. I get the old guard changing over, but as a Dale Sr. fan there isn't anybody left to root for except Harvick (now in a Ford, bleh).

Rockingham and N. Wilkesbourgho (sp?) gone, Darlinton with only one race. Tracks where the driver means more than the car are getting fewer and fewer.

36 races, the guy (Danica doesn't belong in Cup talk) with the most points earned at the end of the year wins.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It'll get worse next year. Dale Jr will be retired. Gordon is doing the tv thing. Smoke is just an owner now. Mid-level stars like Edwards and Biffle are gone. I get the old guard changing over, but as a Dale Sr. fan there isn't anybody left to root for except Harvick (now in a Ford, bleh).

Rockingham and N. Wilkesbourgho (sp?) gone, Darlinton with only one race. Tracks where the driver means more than the car are getting fewer and fewer.

36 races, the guy (Danica doesn't belong in Cup talk) with the most points earned at the end of the year wins.
Ugh... another of their major mistakes... bringing in all these "new" tracks that are just like every other track, and getting rid of the few with character! Damn the cookie cutter tracks!

They've always threatened leaving Pocono too... even though that one is one of the few unique ones left.

Though with stage racing, they almost take the entire point out of going there... green flag stops happened there often and races were almost always decided on them! Pit strategy was fun!

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Auto racing is one of those sports where some people cant figure out why its appealing. And then they see how much they are being paid and are even more confused.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Auto racing is one of those sports where some people cant figure out why its appealing. And then they see how much they are being paid and are even more confused.

It takes tremendous skill to run 200mph, inches from other cars... often times on 3 sides of you while doing so, yet managing the finesse to slip under and around to make a pass without causing a wreck!

I think many people are lost on the fact that what these drivers are doing, is extremely dangerous and even deadly if not done right!

They see cars going around a track the same speed as the other cars and don't realise the speed involved, because the camera is too busy following them... causing some people to forget it's even there.

The adrenalin these guys have pumping through their veins makes them burn calories as if they're running a half marathon...

This is no Sunday drive down the highway, it's intense work, then you add in fuel and tire strategies in the pits, and it becomes absolutely fascinating!

Or... at least it used to be before they made it so gimmicky and lame slowly over the last decade with all the stupid rule changes.

Brian France is the worst thing ever to happen to NASCAR.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Kind of like soccer? :popcorn:

To each their own. I enjoy the mechanical aspects of the cars as much as the skill the drivers have. 24 hr races, dakar rally, and tractor pulls fascinate me.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I've always been a big Pujols fan, so it was pretty cool to watch #600 on TV live.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
What search terms do I use to get Champions Club seats for the Twins (right behind home plate) for a game?

That search doesn't yield be any results. Someone else, on another forum, won't respond to me how he found some of those seats in a search.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
What search terms do I use to get Champions Club seats for the Twins (right behind home plate) for a game?

That search doesn't yield be any results. Someone else, on another forum, won't respond to me how he found some of those seats in a search.

Anybody?

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn

Depends what the day is. I looked on stubhub and they didn't have any for the next home games on the weekend but found some during the week. They're labeled as section 7-10. The ones I found for the middle of the week on a Wednesday for the white sox game were listed at $348 a piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad