Non-Hockey Sports Thread XVI - Vikings Failure Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Treadwell only did what...?

Wasn't he a first round pick for us (or our first pick of the draft a year or two ago)?

Zimmer has shown that he's fine with letting first round picks sit a year before playing. Did it with Trae Waynes, and I think it benefitted him. He would have been WAY over his head in year 1 playing corner. He showed flashes this past season that he could be a pretty good corner.

I'm expecting Treadwell to be much more involved this year.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Treadwell only did what...?

Wasn't he a first round pick for us (or our first pick of the draft a year or two ago)?

Word from the coaching staff is that he was really good in training camp, and was picking up the plays they singled out for him really well, but then when Teddy blew out his knee and they traded for Bradford, the playbook for Bradford was overhauled to what he does well vs Teddy, and the plays they had for Treadwell went out the window, leading them to start almost from scratch again with him after the QB change.

They expect a lot more from him in year two... which it also isn't out of the ordinary for receivers to develop slowly in the first place. Most times it's the 3rd year when a receiver usually really takes off in the NFL.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Floyd is going to get atleast a 2 game suspension and it obviously will be the first games of the season, this is where Treadwell will get his chance and he better be ready to seize it.

Really hope that if ^ rumor is true, they have got a new plan on how they can start utilizing him with Sam and have been hard at work with him, you don't just bench a 1st round pick like that and give him like 1 chance a season if thats going to be the case trade him now and get something decent back while you still can.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Looking at MLB standings. Twins, Brewers, and Rockies are all in 1st place in their divisions. I don't know many people that would have guessed that trio at the 1/4 mark of the season.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
MNUFC played a pretty good game today. Had some glorious chances but only finished once. Really thought we deserved a really from that game.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Hold off on the Berios praise. He played a NL team that hadnt seen him and AL teams might catch on like they did his rookie stint.

Still looks mighty promising though right now. The Twins are watchable right now...that I can live with. :)

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Twins just swept a solid Baltimore club on the East Coast...still not much love here for this team? :sarcasm:

For what I can see this roster isn't a whole hell of a lot different from last season's.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Twins just swept a solid Baltimore club on the East Coast...still not much love here for this team? :sarcasm:

For what I can see this roster isn't a whole hell of a lot different from last season's.

I think your second statement explains the first. They're doing well. From what I've read, their defense is remarkably better than last season, so that probably makes a big difference. I think you have to expect Ervin to regress pretty hard, so they'll need a few others to step it up as the year goes on.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Sano is leading (the AL?) in RBIs.

If Santana (and Berrios) can keep rolling this team will continue to be fun to watch. The bullpen is markedly more productive from last season as well.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The bullpen is better because they haven't been used so much. Still not that impressed with their quality. Looks like Hughes won't be able to give us a full season, and Gibson is a big question mark. Twins NEED Berrios.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So it looks like the NFL is bringing back some of the FUN!

NFL Relaxes End Zone Celebration Rules

The National Football League announced three changes to the game on Tuesday, but the one getting most of the attention has to do with end zone celebrations.

For years, the league has limited how players could celebrate following touchdowns, and for how long.

The rules have been loosened for the 2017 season — allowing players to again use the football as a prop, celebrate as a group and roll around on the ground if they like.

Fans have long wanted the NFL to lighten up.

Commissioner Roger Goodell told reporters that the moniker "No Fun League" had been thrown around since he was an intern in the league office.

Goodell also said he was looking forward to seeing what players would do with their newfound freedom of expression.

But the league isn't getting carried away, either. It will still penalize any celebration deemed offensive or in bad taste, including those that embarrass opponents or mimic the use of weapons.

"There is no set time limit on how long such celebrations can continue. But the league is placing an emphasis on speeding up the pace of games. The 40-second play clock will begin once an official signals a touchdown and teams will have to snap the ball for their extra-point play by the end of the clock.

"League officials will review celebrations during the preseason and anticipate providing guidance as the regular season progresses. Former player Jon Runyan, who is in charge of on-field disciplinary actions, will decide the fines. Two other former players, Derrick Brooks and James Thrash will hear appeals for players."

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
The bullpen is better because they haven't been used so much. Still not that impressed with their quality. Looks like Hughes won't be able to give us a full season, and Gibson is a big question mark. Twins NEED Berrios.

It makes zero sense that Tyler Jay and Nick Burdi aren't up handling closer and relief roles for this club. Kintzler is not a closer and has been insanely lucky thus far, he's a 7th-8th inning guy.
Also, they need to buy in on a starter this deadline like a Sonny Gray while he can be had for cheap. Then you roll Santana, Berrios, Gray, Hughes, and Santiago with Gibson throwing long relief and use your two young fireballers in Burdi and Jay in as a reliever and a closer respectively.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It makes zero sense that Tyler Jay and Nick Burdi aren't up handling closer and relief roles for this club. Kintzler is not a closer and has been insanely lucky thus far, he's a 7th-8th inning guy.
Also, they need to buy in on a starter this deadline like a Sonny Gray while he can be had for cheap. Then you roll Santana, Berrios, Gray, Hughes, and Santiago with Gibson throwing long relief and use your two young fireballers in Burdi and Jay in as a reliever and a closer respectively.

Kintzler is a better 8th inning guy than a closer, but he does have the mentality to be a closer. He just like to make things interesting in the 9th inning. He did it in MKE last season too.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Anybody know if they sell Minneapolis Millers throwback stuff at the Twins Shop (whatever it's called) at Target Field? I'd like to get a hat for my brother (he collects that kind of stuff), but the only ones I've found online are like, expensive game-worn stuff from that time the Twins dressed up as them for throwback day.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm happy the NHL isn't the given that the NBA has become. The Finals matchup has almost been a written in ink since G7 of last season, or maybe even the Finals of the season before that.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I'm happy the NHL isn't the given that the NBA has become. The Finals matchup has almost been a written in ink since G7 of last season, or maybe even the Finals of the season before that.

Yea, but it's not the NBA's fault. The NBPA are the one's who wanted max contract clauses for teams. So instead of Lebron making $75m/year with a bunch of min contract role players surrounding him, he gets $30m/yr to play with 2-3 other superstars who also make $18-$25m/year.

It ****s up league parity when a 73-9 team has the cap space to sign a player to a 2yr/$55m contract.

But the players wanted it, and the fans suffer. It's been trending this way for years (Since like the 2004 Lakers).

Easiest way to fix the parity issues is to have no max contract clause in the CBA while keeping the cap. That way teams can "hard negotiate" openly where a player like Lebron would command $50-$60m/year on the open market.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yea, but it's not the NBA's fault. The NBPA are the one's who wanted max contract clauses for teams. So instead of Lebron making $75m/year with a bunch of min contract role players surrounding him, he gets $30m/yr to play with 2-3 other superstars who also make $18-$25m/year.

It ****s up league parity when a 73-9 team has the cap space to sign a player to a 2yr/$55m contract.

But the players wanted it, and the fans suffer. It's been trending this way for years (Since like the 2004 Lakers).

NBA sells it's players, not it's teams. It's a different marketing strategy than NHL/MLB have. Same cap as the NHL, but only 6 players really matter per team the rest of the team is Nate Prosser's.

It's worked for the NBA. Their top players are on the court ~85% of the game. KG was the only reason to watch a Wolves game for years. On the flip side there hasn't been a reason to watch a 6ers game in years. The Bucks have the "Greek Freak" now, before that it was a hard sell for a decade.

Jordon blew up the league. If he hadn't "retired" the first time the Bulls probably would have been the Celtics Dynasty all over again. Jordan and Pippen, fill in the rest of the team with guys that want a ring and will play for cheaper than market value.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
And now Nick Burdi is out needing Tommy John...not good. Still young with a chance to make the bigs, but this is a big setback.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
The NBA is a ****ing joke and this playoffs has been a travesty.

Golden State kind of got lucky - if only we wouldn't have passed on Steph Curry, who knows...maybe the Wolves would have gotten a World Championship...?

Probably not. But he would have changed our franchise.

The state of the league disgusts me - at least with the NHL you can have an "8" seed like Nashville play good enough to win it all.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The NBA is a ****ing joke and this playoffs has been a travesty.

Golden State kind of got lucky - if only we wouldn't have passed on Steph Curry, who knows...maybe the Wolves would have gotten a World Championship...?

Probably not. But he would have changed our franchise.

The state of the league disgusts me - at least with the NHL you can have an "8" seed like Nashville play good enough to win it all.

It's the NBA's best and worst quality. Worst because the entire playoffs before the finals are a complete joke. In most years, anything below the 3 seed in each conference has almost no realistic chance of even making the conference finals. In years like this one, it was a month and a half of meaningless games. The two teams in the finals have lost one combined game so far. Why would anyone watch anything before the finals?

But that leads into it's best quality. We now have what are far and away the best two teams playing in the finals. It feels like a true championship, since it's actually the best two teams duking it out. Plenty of stars on both teams. The finals are going to get monster ratings, and everyone is going to be talking about it.

In the NHL, the entire ride to the finals was fun. But Pittsburgh vs. Nashville isn't in the same realm of hype as something like Golden State vs. Cleveland.

For the record, I am an extreme NBA hater. Just telling it like it is.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
It's the NBA's best and worst quality. Worst because the entire playoffs before the finals are a complete joke. In most years, anything below the 3 seed in each conference has almost no realistic chance of even making the conference finals. In years like this one, it was a month and a half of meaningless games. The two teams in the finals have lost one combined game so far. Why would anyone watch anything before the finals?

But that leads into it's best quality. We now have what are far and away the best two teams playing in the finals. It feels like a true championship, since it's actually the best two teams duking it out. Plenty of stars on both teams. The finals are going to get monster ratings, and everyone is going to be talking about it.

In the NHL, the entire ride to the finals was fun. But Pittsburgh vs. Nashville isn't in the same realm of hype as something like Golden State vs. Cleveland.

For the record, I am an extreme NBA hater. Just telling it like it is.

I agree.

ALSO, without "luck"/fate (Stephen Curry falling to 5, and them taking him) would the Warriors be where they are today? :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad