Non-Hockey Sports Thread XIV - Vikings Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Sounds like the Butler trade has fizzled out? Would've been fun to have him, but if CHI wanted more than Dunn + LaVine I'm OK passing on that.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
So glad they didn't trade Lavine, feel like he is a criminally underrated shooter.

Trading him now would be like Golden State trading Klay Thompson for Kevin Love a couple years ago.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So T-Jack apparently takes his failures as a QB rather personally...

From Yahoo...

Tarvaris Jackson, a longtime NFL quarterback with the Minnesota Vikings and Seattle Seahawks who is currently a free agent, was arrested after he allegedly pulled a gun on his wife, according to Chris Hush of WESH in Orlando.

Hesh reported the news in a series of tweets, citing the police report that he also tweeted. Hesh said an intoxicated Jackson allegedly loaded a gun, pointed it at his wife and said "I'll kill you."

According to Hesh's tweets, Jackson's wife said, "You better be accurate (because) you ain't accurate on the field."

Jackson, who was in Kissimmee, Fla. visiting family, was grabbed by a witness to stop him from shooting, Hesh reported. The police report, which was cited by Hesh, said the victim grabbed a kitchen knife and a clothing iron for protection. The Osceola County County Corrections website said Jackson was booked Friday on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Is it sad that I laughed hard at the quote from his wife?

I saw this story yesterday but never saw the quote.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Every day that there is significant wind, pieces of siding blow off the "prow" portion of the stadium.

Happened again today and so far this is the 4th time I've noticed since they started putting the siding on that portion of the stadium in late March.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
It's a shame this is going to be a wreck...

and myself being such a big golf fan, this truly is a disaster in that all the superstars that are just not going to go...

The worst is that while Brazil is just the most egregious example in recent memory, hosting the Olympics tends to be a disaster for any country who hosts it. I really like the suggestion that if we really want to keep doing this, to just permanently stage it in Greece. That way instead of a new country going in the hole every 4 years, we could have more or less permanent infrastructure for the Olympics; smaller countries could go train in Athens or whatever instead of blowing too much money on their own Olympic training grounds. And hell, if the prestige factor is really worth it, maybe we could make up for that in the lead up, make more out of the Olympic Torch passing through your country, and so on. I dunno. Something's gotta change.

Slick Willy*

The worst is that while Brazil is just the most egregious example in recent memory, hosting the Olympics tends to be a disaster for any country who hosts it. I really like the suggestion that if we really want to keep doing this, to just permanently stage it in Greece. That way instead of a new country going in the hole every 4 years, we could have more or less permanent infrastructure for the Olympics; smaller countries could go train in Athens or whatever instead of blowing too much money on their own Olympic training grounds. And hell, if the prestige factor is really worth it, maybe we could make up for that in the lead up, make more out of the Olympic Torch passing through your country, and so on. I dunno. Something's gotta change.

Shouldn't they just then go to countries that have all the infrastructure in place?

I watched a Real Sports segment on all the stadiums built in a recent Olympic host country that are now just gathering cobwebs and how the Olympics is an absolute money loser...but at least if it goes to countries with the right infrastructure it could be less of a problem...

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Shouldn't they just then go to countries that have all the infrastructure in place?

I watched a Real Sports segment on all the stadiums built in a recent Olympic host country that are now just gathering cobwebs and how the Olympics is an absolute money loser...but at least if it goes to countries with the right infrastructure it could be less of a problem...

Fair enough, but if you keep it in one place, you don't need to worry about making it a "big boys' club" or whatever, where poorer, smaller countries aren't invited to show off. If it's just always where it is, you don't alienate anyone. And, to be fair, this is how the ****ing Olympics began, 2 and a half millennia ago: everyone in Greece and beyond would drag their ***** to *gasp* Olympia, where all the "Olympic infrastructure", such as it was, was already located.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
So Kevin Durant is going to the Warriors. Way, way more of a b***h move than LeBron's decision, IMO. Nothing like going to a team that just won 73 games.

Warriors hate is gonna reach historical levels, here.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So Kevin Durant is going to the Warriors. Way, way more of a b***h move than LeBron's decision, IMO. Nothing like going to a team that just won 73 games.

Warriors hate is gonna reach historical levels, here.

Wow. Always loved KD and I like this Warriors team. But I don't like this at all. It's not worse than Lebron. He didn't schedule a reality TV show about himself just to betray his home town. But that's a discussion for another day.

Golden State will have no depth now. Better hope they don't have injuries.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Hence why i don't watch the NBA anymore. 3-4 good players and you can win a title. Depth is not needed.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Its not like OKC has gone out of their way to put a supporting cast around KD besides Westbrook. Letting Harden go was probably the dumbest move theyve made so far.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Its not like OKC has gone out of their way to put a supporting cast around KD besides Westbrook. Letting Harden go was probably the dumbest move theyve made so far.

Westbrook is a hell of a lot more than LeBron had during hist 1st stint in Cleveland. KD had a team at least, no issue with Durant leaving, but people who whined about LeBron didn't notice the guy had zero to work with.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I still think the big reason people turned on LBJ was the way he handled his choice. Having your own special on ESPN to announce where youre going to play is dumb.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Nice interior shot of US Bank Stadium after the storms tonight.

transmogrify.rsr

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Aerial Night shot of US Bank Stadium on the 4th...

13584119_1749193021971435_124627623_n.jpg

This place will look amazing during night games for TV for the aerial shots!

Slick Willy*

I dont fault KD for chasing a championship. Everyone knows only 2-3 teams really have a shot each year.

OKC was one of those teams. They had the Warriors down 3-1 games in the WCF 7 game series.

Durant and Westbrook should have at least made one more run next year.

KD leaving isn't good for the league or the game.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Honestly, I think the NBA would be better off contracting by 2-4 teams. Bad teams are rarely even competitive. There's just not enough talent to cause any real parity. You can already say at this moment that there are only like 3 teams with a legit shot to win it all next year.

Slick Willy*

Honestly, I think the NBA would be better off contracting by 2-4 teams. Bad teams are rarely even competitive. There's just not enough talent to cause any real parity. You can already say at this moment that there are only like 3 teams with a legit shot to win it all next year.

Oh well. The owners are lining their pockets...what difference does if make if a Glen Taylor wants to keep an anemic franchise like ours here?

You know he's making money...and we at least have an NBA club.

You could say the same about the NHL...I say the more the merrier...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad