OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XII - Heeeeeeressss JJ! (Percy Harvin Edition)

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I don't know....he just has that "it" factor for me. Drafted by the right team, with the right players around him, I think he's going to turn into a very good QB. Is the Vikings the right team, is KOC the right coach? We know he'll have a couple of good receivers and a decent offensive line in front of him. Personally, I would be thrilled if the Vikings picked him. Ideally, he would sit for at least 1 season to give him a chance to develop and have him take over 1-2 years down the road.
I really wouldnt have a problem if they did take him because the Vikings would be doing what ive wanted them to do for 3+ years now and that would be to move on from Kirk. My biggest gripe is the capital it would take to get him, trading to #5? lol to that, 11 isnt THAT bad but i just dont see a 1st round QB in JJ and ive been a fan of his since 2022 in terms of being an NFL QB.

If he ends up a Viking im all for it because i want the Kirk era to end that badly.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Wouldnt mind bringing in Russ as a stop gap until the rookie is ready if its for a vet minimum.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

We can’t get into the specifics, for now. But we’re getting very credible indications that Cousins is seriously considering moving his family to Atlanta. Which would mean, obviously, that he’d be signing with the Falcons

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I just have a feeling that the Vikings are going to let Cousins go to free agency, sign Wilson and draft a QB. Signing Wilson makes it easier to extend JJ (and possibly Hunter) and gives which ever QB we draft a year to develop before taking over.

What I'm not sure of is the dead money hit the Vikings will incur with Cousins leaving and the impact that will have on re-signing other players.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I just have a feeling that the Vikings are going to let Cousins go to free agency, sign Wilson and draft a QB. Signing Wilson makes it easier to extend JJ (and possibly Hunter) and gives which ever QB we draft a year to develop before taking over.

What I'm not sure of is the dead money hit the Vikings will incur with Cousins leaving and the impact that will have on re-signing other players.
28M, i've read.

I don't know if MN will "let" Cousins go, but more likely will have a set signing number that they will not go beyond. I'm all for that, myself. This team has never won in the post season with him, and they weren't winning with him early in the season before he got injured, and now he will be a year older, with a serious injury. Not saying he's awful, but if he couldn't get it done before, and don't see why he could now.

I'm all for a reset, even though it will likely mean a step back for a couple of years at least.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

The dead money will be there even if Cousins re-signs, it's just spread over more years. Rough math, but if you can get Wilson (or whoever) for $20-$25m the cap would be the same/less as Cousins at $45m for next season, but then the Cousins' dead cap is completely gone.

I think this is the better route (mainly because I don't think Cousins' is the answer or worth what he's going to get for a contract). Draft a QB and sign a vet to a short term deal so the drafted guy can sit and learn for a season or two. Love's play last year gives some cover for the team/fans in not rushing their new shiny toy QB into the lineup.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
ESPN reporting tag the Vikes likely make a play for Baker Mayfield if Kirk doesn't sign. A good fit for a short bridge. I'd easily be much happier with that route than Wilson who has been over done for years now.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
The dead money will be there even if Cousins re-signs, it's just spread over more years. Rough math, but if you can get Wilson (or whoever) for $20-$25m the cap would be the same/less as Cousins at $45m for next season, but then the Cousins' dead cap is completely gone.

I think this is the better route (mainly because I don't think Cousins' is the answer or worth what he's going to get for a contract). Draft a QB and sign a vet to a short term deal so the drafted guy can sit and learn for a season or two. Love's play last year gives some cover for the team/fans in not rushing their new shiny toy QB into the lineup.
I dont think Wilson is getting around 20-25 million, id imagine it would be less than that considering hes being paid 37 million by the Broncos.

Give me Russ at less than 10 million over Baker at 40-45 million easily.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I dont think Wilson is getting around 20-25 million, id imagine it would be less than that considering hes being paid 37 million by the Broncos.

I don't think Baker is getting that much.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Baker isn't getting 40-45. closer to $25m
I'd guess Russ gets $15-18m

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Quick check on Spotrac projects Bakers contract at a 4 year 120 million dollars, so 30 million AAV. So its pretty much right in the middle of what we think.

Mike Florio of NBC thinks he will get between 30-35 as well.

So maybe no way hes gets 40-45 but no way he gets 15-18.

Last edited:
Reactions: TaLoN

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Id even rather have Sam Darnold over Baker, even if i think Baker is better than Darnold. And its really nothing against Baker either he just going to wanna cash in after the decent year he had. For me its really just the price point.

Id rather have that extra money to help re sign Danielle or bring in Christian Wilkins from Miami. Hed be a great get for us.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Think I would still take Baker @ $30m over Russ @ $18m
Yeah for me its just all about the money hes going to garner. That extra money we could save whatever the amount it could really help towards bringing in a solid piece for the defense.

Tannehill, Darnold, Minshew, Russ, maybe Jimmy G are all solid vets to help with the development of the rookie QB whoever it is. Along with Josh McCown, add in KOC, to me thats a pretty good QB room.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah for me its just all about the money hes going to garner. That extra money we could save whatever the amount if could really help towards bringing in a solid piece for the defense.

Tannehill, Darnold, Minshew, Russ, maybe Jimmy G are all solid vets to help with the development of the rookie QB whoever it is. Along with Josh McCown, add in KOC, to me thats a pretty good QB room.
I'm confused why Darnold is in there. He's a shit QB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad