OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XII - Heeeeeeressss JJ! (Percy Harvin Edition)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Well, there is a price to pay. I mean, if the Giants want him, the #6 pick is way more valuable than 11 as it gives AZ their choice of the top WR or OT in the draft, both are helpful to their QB.

What are you asking the team AZ/LAC for example to pass up to drop to 11? Some high end WR and OT at the top of this draft.
If a 4th QB is taken between pick 4 and 10 , one of those will be available at #11.

4 QBs
3 WRs
1 TE
3 OTs

Plus, if Atlanta doesn't trade out, they'll probably go defense.

Trading up for McCarthy could be a horrible setback for the franchise.
1st round QBs are historically a ~50/50 proposition, so we'd be counting on probably 2 of the 3 top 3 picks busting. I know that's not exactly how it works, but historically that's how the numbers have come out.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
If we cant get one of the top 3 guys id rather wait and take a player like Penix Jr at 23 and let another team trade up for JJ.

But thats just because i dont feel like JJ is worth trading up for. Nothing against the player and would take him just not at that cost.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If we cant get one of the top 3 guys id rather wait and take a player like Penix Jr at 23 and let another team trade up for JJ.

But thats just because i dont feel like JJ is worth trading up for. Nothing against the player and would take him just not at that cost.
Yeah, always easier to stomach a risk when you are just using your own pick like NE did with Mac Jones. Didn’t work out so only cost was their own first. Not 2 extra seconds or whatever else.

Have to see what they do or whether the Giants step up and try to flip with AZ if they want a QB as well.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He’s the right guy, but it depends on the price to move up.
I dunno that you'd be the one that I'd trust to make decisions for the Vikings future.

I have no idea who will end up being a top echelon NFL QB out of this draft, but i sure as hell hope the Vikings do. There have been so many disappointing "can't miss" QB picks, let alone flat out busts over the years.

Winston
Wentz
Young
Murray
Bradford
Griffin III
Darnold(Ha!)
Sanchez
Mariota
Bortles
Trubisky
Harrington
Russell
Smith

When they were picked there was huge hype about them, and a supposedly professional scouting staff involved in picking them, yet...

Would love for the Vikings to finally get a top guy, though, or at least, a guy who can rival what Tarkenton was(top 5?). I guess what i am saying, though, is that if the Vikes can't pick the guys they believe in, then they have to be disciplined, and not just take the next best guy out of need. I would rather that they pick the BPA, and cobble things together at QB. Having a couple + of really good/pro bowl position players is better than having a mediocre QB.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He’s the right guy, but it depends on the price to move up.
For sure will cost 11 and 23. How much more is the question.

In recent years, NYJ gave Indy 3 extra 2nds to go from 6 to 3 to draft Darnold while Indy got Nelson at 6.
Last year, from 12 to 3, it cost Hou an extra 1, 2, and 3 to AZ
AZ to go back from 12 to 6 cost them a 2nd to Det. (that's pretty cheap)
When Miami after dealing down to SF from 3 to 12 for 2 extra 1sts, gave up a 1st to go from 12 to 6 to get Waddle.

So, it can vary based on who is on the board.

Helps that Minny's extra 1st is this year vs waiting a year which would decrease its value.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Both Washington and New England need a quarterback, so the price to get either to move off their pick would be substantial. Washington’s selection carries a 717-point value, according to Rich Hill’s trade chart. The two first-round picks the Vikings’ own carry a value of 603 points, meaning Adofo-Mensah likely would have to include at least one future first-rounder to get Washington to even consider an offer.
The Patriots might be a more willing trade partner, given the fact that new coach Jerod Mayo is taking over a roster that needs significant work and could use additional draft picks to start building up what once was a dynasty. The Patriots pick is valued at 514 points, meaning the Vikings’ two selections in the opening round already signify an overpay if it’s just a 2-for-1 swap. But there are going to be a few teams that call the Patriots, so the reality is Adofo-Mensah also might have to sweeten the offer.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
While i agree with this i dunno if the Vikings FO do.
Unless Chicago was going to pass on a QB and run it back with Fields, Wash and NE need a QB. Whenever you are in position to draft a QB without trading up, unless you don't like the QB available, you kind of have to take one.

Look at the past few trade ups and what it cost.
SF 12 to 3, 2 extra 1st and a 3rd
CAR 9 to 1, 1st, DJ Moore, 2 seconds
NYJ 6 to 3, 3 extra 2nds

Really no way for Minny to get into the top 3.

But, Minny has to determine if JJ really is someone that they can develop into a very good QB.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Maybe there are QBs in the past that will make this statement sound dumb, but I don't trust QBs that go from borderline 1st round pick to possible top 5 pick after all the games are played.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
It is pretty on brand for the vikings to scoop up former packers that are about to decline. What are we at now...

Brett Favre
Greg Jennings
Ryan Longwell
Dean Lowry
Za'Darius Smith
Aaron Jones

Did I miss anyone?
Your mom!

Ha. Got em!

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It is pretty on brand for the vikings to scoop up former packers that are about to decline. What are we at now...

Brett Favre
Greg Jennings
Ryan Longwell
Dean Lowry
Za'Darius Smith
Aaron Jones

Did I miss anyone?

Didn't Favre have his best year statistically as a Viking?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad